• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Wacky Watcher! (111)

Cataquack Warrior

I've noticed something interesting after watching the episode again. When Team Rocket is sent away in that water cyclone, I initially attributed this to the Magikarp evolving into Gyrados. However, the Magikarp don't actually evolve into their Gyrados forms until after Team Rocket's been swept away. For me it shows that Magikarps are no pushovers when they don't want to be.

NPT

Just a member
This was an interesting episode. Dr. "Quackenpoker" was a funny character, and his name was pretty creative too. The explaination of Magikarp and Gyrados's origin was nice.

Ash and Misty sleeping in the same tent was kind of weird. Pretty sure they used to sleep in their own seperate tents before this.

Last edited:
This episode was neat in which we see that some Magikarp do travel upstream in order to evolve.
The COTD was pretty weird.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
This episode made me realize that Tracey had little charisma; it was just so hard watching him get the spotlight since I felt nothing for him and his development as a Pokemon Watcher. Anyway, I liked seeing all those Magikarp swimming up stream like salmon, and I laughed when James's head got bit by a Magikarp and when several Magikarp evolved.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
This was a good episode for Tracy development even tho the pokemon watcher guy was strange ha ha. Seeing Magikarp evolve at the end to help out and Team rocket surrounded by many of them was justice served. ^^

Gillachu

Banned
Meh, I've never cared for Magikarp or Gyarados much, so this episode was one of the Orange Island's weakest adventures...

JudySpell

Banned
Tracey admiring the old Pokemon Watcher was adorable but seeing Magikarp acting like salmon wasn't exactly the most exciting storyline. 6/10

UmbrionKnight

Dr. Quackenpoker! If ever there was a greater one-time guest character, I can't think of any offhand. This Groucho Marx lookalike was just a fountain of great one-liners. I love that Tracey got to play a major role in the episode too.

I agree. I was taken off guard due to how great he was for such a one-time character. The line about the Magikarp being harder to understand than his income tax return was great, too.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
As far as fillers go, this one was tolerable because of Midorikawa and the migrating Koiking plot. Kenji getting some much-needed attention was great, too. I don't understand why Musashi was after the spawning Koiking, though. Didn't she remember how vicious Gyarados are? Why desire a whole army of them?

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Dr. Quackenpoker was, um, quirky? I liked that Tracey played the main role here, which was a rare event in the Orange Islands arc lol. The Magikarp were cute and the Gyarados were just plain cool.

ZilverLox

Banned
Dr. Quackenpoker was rivaling the Trick Master for the funniest one-time character. Nice to see how devoted he was to studying the Magikarp and how they evolve and climb up the waterfall. When Team Rocket is sent away in that water cyclone, I initially attributed this to the Magikarp evolving into Gyrados. However, the Magikarp don't actually evolve into their Gyrados forms until after Team Rocket's been swept away.

Shayuin

Banned
Dr. Quakenpoker was the best CoTD of the Orange saga. Without a doubt in my mind. Everything he said was pretty funny and I liked that he was a Pokemon Watcher just like Tracey.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Dr. Quakenpoker being an expert Pokemon Watcher should've been a bigger plot point, but I loved seeing Magikarp actually doing something other than just splashing around.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Looking back, there were huge inconsistencies in the number of migrating Koiking in this episode. We saw hundreds swimming upstream at the start, yet once the Rocket-dan was defeated, only a dozen or so Koiking and Gyarados swam back downstream.

Daizy

I call you honey
Tracey didn't get much out of this episode when you think about it. Yeah he aided Dr. Quakenpoker's research a tad bit yet we never see the results of the Magikarp migration.

Who knew that Magikarp were actually so complex? They never seemed that interesting to me in past episodes but here we saw their migratory habits and it seemed really cool to learn that they were basically the Pokemon version of trout and salmon. I thought that Tracey suddenly admiring the researcher could've been done better if we had actually learned about him sooner.

This episode made me like Tracey a little more since he was dedicated to learning as much as he could from the other Pokemon watcher. I liked how the Magikarp's whole breeding strategy was shown even though I had no interest in learning about them before, but seeing them evolve into a horde of Gyarados was so cool. It reminded me of when James's Magikarp evolved and used Dragon Rage and I wish James had remembered his old Gyarados here. 8/10
'