• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Water Flowers of Cerulean City! (007)

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ash versus Misty felt cheap since we didn't get a good ending, just the TRio barging in with the vacuum.

I actually thought that the Rocket-dan's whole vacuum theft was handled well, in that we saw how they broke into the facility where it was kept. So them showing up with it later didn't seem too convenient at least.

I really enjoyed this episode. I didn't mind the so-called pity badge so much because the battle wasn't terribly interesting. I enjoyed Misty's character development, and her sisters were pretty funny. My favorite quote was "I'm not off duty until past your bedtime." after Brock asked Jenny out. Speaking of Brock, I'd sure like to know what he was really doing when he left for half the episode.

The pity badge wasn't as bad here anyways once you realize that Ash technically won the Cascade badge fairly when Starmie was knocked out.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The pity badge wasn't as bad here anyways once you realize that Ash technically won the Cascade badge fairly when Starmie was knocked out.

Satoshi was technically on the verge of officially winning the Blue Badge, so I also didn't count it as a "pity Badge." Him saving the Hanada Gym was just him being a hero.

gentwoer

Technically, nothing. Staryu beat Butterfree (since it was drowning and all and Ash had to call it back) So Staryu had beat Butterfree and Pidgeotto beat Starmie. Making it a tie if anything until Pidgeotto had beat Staryu. Heck for all we know Starmie knows recover

gentwoer

Two episodes later and Ash already has his second badge. This one bothers me more than the first one because Ash wasn't winning. It was literally a draw until Pidgeotto beat Staryu which it might have since it beat the (presumably stronger) Starmie. I never got the anime's hate boner for Starmie as it was always getting its butt kicked despite being a pretty powerful Pokemon in the games. Certainly stronger than Brock's Onix (and not just because of type advantage).

At least Pidgeotto gets a good outting finally after a streak of being worf'd

the anime exclusive Sensational Sisters were okay but at least the idea of them was interesting and I wonder if a trio of gym leader siblings inspired the creation of the waiter brothers in Pokemon Black and White?

We saw our first glimpse of girl crazy Brock when ask Officer Jenny but all he really does is ask her to dinner he doesn't go gaga or anything and makes a fool of himself. And its weird to see him not act that way toward Misty's sisters when he meets up with Ash at the end of the episode.

Also Jenny of Cerulean says the Viridian Jenny is her sister-in-law umm eww? So either her brother or the Viridian Jenny's brother married a woman who looked exactly like his sister and had the same name?

Leonhart

Imagineer
gentwoer said:
the anime exclusive Sensational Sisters were okay but at least the idea of them was interesting and I wonder if a trio of gym leader siblings inspired the creation of the waiter brothers in Pokemon Black and White?

I disliked how rude they were to Kasumi despite them being sisters, but I did like how the anime introduced siblings for Kasumi since she didn't have any in the games.

I liked the fact that Brock didn't give up the Gym Leaders' identities, but I wish he had been around to watch Ash's battle against Misty. Misty did well all things considered, but her trick with gaining Pikachu's sympathy so he wouldn't battle was sneaky. The giant vacuum ending was just a plot device to make Misty's sisters respect Ash's courage.

Kintaro

Banned
That's precisely why it does not make sense. Pikachu don't want to fight against a girl that he just met, but fight without problem after traveling with her through two regions?

Well maybe Pikachu liked having a human friend besides Ash at the time, who knows. Pikachu was willing to battle Misty in Johto during the Totodile episode too, and only didn't because Misty tried using Togepi to battle Pikachu, and of course Pikachu didn't want to hurt Togepi so it refused.

Besides that Gyarados is a powerful menacing looking pokemon that Pikachu has no connection with as Misty got it after she left the group, so pikachu had no problem battling this random pokemon.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Well maybe Pikachu liked having a human friend besides Ash at the time, who knows. Pikachu was willing to battle Misty in Johto during the Totodile episode too, and only didn't because Misty tried using Togepi to battle Pikachu, and of course Pikachu didn't want to hurt Togepi so it refused.
Maybe because it was an official Gym battle, Pikachu didn't want to definitely stay on the side of Ash as Pikachu also considered Misty to be a friend. Considering the serious nature of these battles, well pretty much Pikachu felt like he didn't want to become too antagonistic against Misty.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jeal said:
Yeah, Pikachu refusing to battle against Misty makes no sense now, because SM043.

I did find it highly contrived that he sided with her even though he had known Satoshi longer, but then again it was basically a gag just to make Satoshi rely on his two other Pokemon instead.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
A meh episode. Misty's sisters irked me when they made fun of Misty and when they were about to give Ash a free Badge. I liked Brock when he refused to tell Ash more about the Gym. Pikachu refusing to battle made no sense, but at least years later, Ash finally defeats Misty's Mega Gyarados with his starter Pokemon.
6/10

PineapplePizza

I don't get how it didn't make sense. Pikachu liked Misty. He wasn't as attached to Ash back then, even if he did like him they only knew each other for two weeks.

Using Sun and Moon for reference is dumb. By then Pikachu had been with Ash for a long time and he hadn't seen Misty in a while so he's going to be more loyal to Ash..

Anyways this episode wasn't as good as the first gym episode but it was better than the dumb Samurai episode and the Mt.Moon filler.

Leonhart

Imagineer
PineapplePizza said:
I don't get how it didn't make sense. Pikachu liked Misty. He wasn't as attached to Ash back then, even if he did like him they only knew each other for two weeks.

Exactly. It still kind of seemed like a cop-out method to me in the sense that his refusal to battle prevented Satoshi from having a type advantage against Kasumi, but at least it made sense.

What I remember the most about this episode is how Team Rocket somehow managed to steal a giant industrial sized vacuum cleaner and take it to the Cerulean Gym in broad daylight without anyone noticing. Misty having sisters who didn't think much of her felt realistic because that's how my own family acted some times and the actual battle part of the episode could've been much smoother if Ash had won without Team Rocket interfering. I hate pity badges. 7/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
FirefoxFennekin said:
What I remember the most about this episode is how Team Rocket somehow managed to steal a giant industrial sized vacuum cleaner and take it to the Cerulean Gym in broad daylight without anyone noticing.

Given that they constantly flew around in a Nyasu-shaped hot air balloon, I don't think that the Rocket-dan were concerned with remaining inconspicuous with the giant vacuum machine. They probably just drove the thing to the Gym and people who saw them probably didn't even care since people in the Pokemon anime are used to seeing mechas.

Amy Potter

The only thing that I don't get is how stun spore was washed away. I mean stun spore is a grass type move. Wouldn't that make it immune to anything water related?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Amy Potter said:
The only thing that I don't get is how stun spore was washed away. I mean stun spore is a grass type move. Wouldn't that make it immune to anything water related?

Stun Spore is essentially dust, so I'm assuming that water washes it off like normal. Then again, maybe what happened with Stun Spore here is simply a product of early OS syndrome.