• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Water Flowers of Cerulean City! (007)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
The Water Flowers of Cerulean City!

When Ash & Brock enter Cerulean City, Misty is no where to be seen so Ash decides to take on the gym. However the leaders do not wish to battle. Suddenly Misty turns up and says she will battle Ash. Will she win?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Blue,Too?

Well, since the Cerulean City gym is my favorite gym, I really like this episode. We find out that Misty has sisters and that she is a gym leader. And we get to see a battle between Ash and Misty (which we don't get to experience again until very later on). Too bad Team Rocket had to interfere. That and the fact that they gave Ash the Cascade Badge for no real reason is why I don't like this episode as much as I could. But its still a great episode

I give this eppie a 9/10. I would give it a 10/10 if it wasn't for the two things I mentioned above.

F

Factory Head Noland

I really like this Gym Battle, especially when Pidgeotto uses gust and Starmie flies into the doors.
From this ep we know that Gary has a Cascade Badge.

M

magicpizzadust

I love it, I love it, I love it!
Its my favorite episode of the first season! Staryu & Starmie are introduced!
I have it on tape, and I memorized some of the lines.
"Daisy, if you don't wanna battle him I will!"
"Dive under then up!"
"Staryu! Wash it off!"
And the sound Butterfree makes when Staryu knocks it in the water, its classic.

M

Magi of all

I always wondered where Brock went in this episode. But look, 2 gym battles in 3 episodes. In Jhoto, it took like 20 episodes to get to violet gym

M

Mistystar89

I loved this episode! It was awesome! The battle was great and I wish they finished it. Misty's moment's were funny XD

thed3

Bow Chicka Bow Wow!
The FIRST pokemon episode I ever seen. I was so glad I thought it was super cool it being a gym match... too bad team rocket had to ruin it.. I really would have liked to seen who would have won. Oh well Butterfree ROCKS!!!

G

Gryphon Turboclaw

Here's a reality check for anyone and everyone that seriously thinks Ash only got this badge due to pity:

I also have the tape, and it's pretty clear that Ash earned that Cascade Badge(no matter how much Misty and her fans whine about it). Two things Daisy stated to Misty should help clarify this(both in the same sentence):

"Pikachu was the one that, like, saved us all, and if Ash had used Pikachu from the start, there was no way that your water pokemon could have won."

Also consider that Pikachu was *ordered* by Ash to blow away TR, and it was ultimately Ash himself that stopped their machine. On top of *that*, Ash had gotten ahead of Misty 1-0 in their match. (Butterfree being recalled *before* Misty's Staryu could finish it off, Staryu getting recalled when Ash sent out Pidgeotto, and her Stamie getting the same treatment from Pidgeotto that [SPOIL]Ash's Pikachu would get three years later from E4 Drake's Shellgon[/SPOIL] !) Since Misty's strongest pokemon---Starmie---had just been Whirlwinded out of commission by a still-raring-to-go Pidgeotto, she would have been forced to use her Staryu---this was 2vs2---against an opponent who was now wise to her tactics. Even if---and that's a *huge* if---Pidgeotto had eventually gone down, Staryu would have had to deal with a now-rested Butterfree(who, IIRC, knew some of the same Flying attacks that Pidgeotto had)! The only pity in that scene was for Misty, not for Ash...Daisy knew that Ash would have prevealed, despite her younger sister's sabotage(Misty certainly didn't pass up on the opportunity to use her bond with Ash's Pikachu against Ash himself).

H

Hales

I barely remember this episode :)

I think Brock might have gone to get supplies for later, maybe... I mean who knows *shrug*

Misty really annoyed during this episode, especially when Pikachu refused to battle her because he didn't want to... there's no need to gloat about it.

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
Gryphon Turboclaw said:
Here's a reality check for anyone and everyone that seriously thinks Ash only got this badge due to pity:

I also have the tape, and it's pretty clear that Ash earned that Cascade Badge(no matter how much Misty and her fans whine about it). Two things Daisy stated to Misty should help clarify this(both in the same sentence):

"Pikachu was the one that, like, saved us all, and if Ash had used Pikachu from the start, there was no way that your water pokemon could have won."

Also consider that Pikachu was *ordered* by Ash to blow away TR, and it was ultimately Ash himself that stopped their machine. On top of *that*, Ash had gotten ahead of Misty 1-0 in their match. (Butterfree being recalled *before* Misty's Staryu could finish it off, Staryu getting recalled when Ash sent out Pidgeotto, and her Stamie getting the same treatment from Pidgeotto that [SPOIL]Ash's Pikachu would get three years later from E4 Drake's Shellgon[/SPOIL] !) Since Misty's strongest pokemon---Starmie---had just been Whirlwinded out of commission by a still-raring-to-go Pidgeotto, she would have been forced to use her Staryu---this was 2vs2---against an opponent who was now wise to her tactics. Even if---and that's a *huge* if---Pidgeotto had eventually gone down, Staryu would have had to deal with a now-rested Butterfree(who, IIRC, knew some of the same Flying attacks that Pidgeotto had)! The only pity in that scene was for Misty, not for Ash...Daisy knew that Ash would have prevealed, despite her younger sister's sabotage(Misty certainly didn't pass up on the opportunity to use her bond with Ash's Pikachu against Ash himself).

Wow, nice analysis. My opinion of this episode certainly changed after reading that -I guess that, even by the seventh episode, Ash was starting to pick up some good training tactics.

C

Crystal Latios

Hmmm.... Ash had to use his other pokemon because Pikachu was stubborn.
I think, Pikachu had a crush on Misty in this episode. He didn`t want to fight with her, he was happy when she won etc. He just adored her.

Geodude

Excellent points, Gryphon. Another thought:

It seems that a common last name for people to give Misty is Waterflower. It probably comes from this episode, but that's just wrong. Water Flowers is clearly 2 words, not one, so it's obviously not their last name.

Sharpshooter

Battle Factory Champion
Gryphon Turboclaw said:

Woah man whats the anger with Misty all about?!

I like your essay there although I would like to correct one thing, when a Pokémon is recalled into it's pokéball, it is normally regarded in the animé as a defeat. I've seen it on numerous occassions where this happens, for example Richie recalling his Charmander during the match against Ash in the Indigo tournament, the titantron screen even showed Richie go down from two pokémon to one, confirming that his Charmander HAD been defeated. Infact, I don't think I've ever seen the same pokémon being recalled out twice before in the animé.

Under that conclusion Misty would have WON the first battle against Ash's Butterfree, why she recalled Staryu I'll never know.

Anyway if Pikachu was used from the start there would of been no contest, Misty's water pokémon aren't the greatest of that particular type. Even Gary's Blastoise would of defeated them all.

On the note about Misty's surname, isn't it Williams?

Last edited:

Alfonso

Derpgull
Sharpshooter_007 said:
Woah man whats the anger with Misty all about?!

I like your essay there although I would like to correct one thing, when a Pokémon is recalled into it's pokéball, it is normally regarded in the animé as a defeat. I've seen it on numerous occassions where this happens, for example Richie recalling his Charmander during the match against Ash in the Indigo tournament, the titantron screen even showed Richie go down from two pokémon to one, confirming that his Charmander HAD been defeated. Infact, I don't think I've ever seen the same pokémon being recalled out twice before in the animé.

Under that conclusion Misty would have WON the first battle against Ash's Butterfree, why she recalled Staryu I'll never know.

Anyway if Pikachu was used from the start there would of been no contest, Misty's water pokémon aren't the greatest of that particular type. Even Gary's Blastoise would of defeated them all.

On the note about Misty's surname, isn't it Williams?

No. That's just a fan-made last name, like 'Harrison' for Brock, and 'Morgan' for James. None of them are actually true.

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
Something's been bugging me for a while - I haven't seen this episode in a few years, so I seem to have forgotten - how do you tell Violet, Lily, and Daisy apart? I can't for the life of me remember who's who.

T

Trendy_boy87

daisy is the oldest she has blonde hair
violet is next she has blue hair
and then there is lily she has pink hair

Too bad Brock was away. I would've loved to see him in a Gym with three girls in bathing suits^^. Misty would never have been able to pull his ear hard enough to keep him away from them XD.
I like that tactic where Staryu washes off the Powder. TR's machine was interesting(a rarity >.>), and it would've been somewhat neat to see them pull off their scheme. I agree, magicpizzadust, Butterfree's noise when dunked was priceless XD.

Overall rating:
6.8 out of 10!!
Easily one of the lesser Gym Battles, but at least there were some good points to this.

SC~ out

Psychic Venusaur

Pokemon Master
Alfonso said:
No. That's just a fan-made last name, like 'Harrison' for Brock, and 'Morgan' for James. None of them are actually true.

The MC at Pokemon Rocks America in Seattle said Brock's last name was Harrison.

Nobody mentioned the James quote? "It's times like these that make we want to go straight" That's hilarious. It's like when Meowth indirectly called James a fruit in the Grovyle ep, except this was one might not have been meant in that sense, since James had never crossdressed before this episode.

I thought Misty was annoying in this episode too. Pikachu too. Pikachu was willing to fight Misty in the Totodile episode, though (not Togepi hehe)

Pikachu thought the waterflowers were hot

An o.k. episode in my opinion. Ash would have easily gotten the badge on his own, like in Gryphon Turboclaw's analysis.

8.3/10

Alfonso

Derpgull
Psychic Venusaur said:
The MC at Pokemon Rocks America in Seattle said Brock's last name was Harrison.

Nobody mentioned the James quote? "It's times like these that make we want to go straight" That's hilarious. It's like when Meowth indirectly called James a fruit in the Grovyle ep, except this was one might not have been meant in that sense, since James had never crossdressed before this episode.

I thought Misty was annoying in this episode too. Pikachu too. Pikachu was willing to fight Misty in the Totodile episode, though (not Togepi hehe)

Pikachu thought the waterflowers were hot

An o.k. episode in my opinion. Ash would have easily gotten the badge on his own, like in Gryphon Turboclaw's analysis.

8.3/10

The people from Pokemon Rocks America are either under the same delusion as certain people on the Internet, or are taking crack. Harrison is *not* an official name. Neither is James Morgan, or Misty Waterflower.

No Main Characters were given last names, apart from Ash and Tracey in the dub. Ash's last name was most likely given to him to match the lip flaps of 'Satoshi', or something.

O

Ororo Munroe

Alfonso said:
Ash's last name was most likely given to him to match the lip flaps of 'Satoshi', or something.
Then why was Tracey given the last name Sketchit? Doesn't Tracey already match the lip flaps of Kenji?