• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Way to Fly

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
248.png
561.png
645.png
385.png
227.png
423-e.png

A flying 3:3 team I threw together. Inspired by the talk I had with some of the better battlers (game and peachy), I thought I may as well make a team based around sigilyph as well, though mine won’t be half as good. I managed to get to #2 on Smogon with this (right after a ladder reset so nothing special) and #102 on PBC with this team.

Introduction

I had decided to make a 3:3 team for some reason, and given the fact that it would have sigilyph, it was assured to be sandstall. Other than that, I hadn't a clue what I was going to do. It ended up as flying 3:3, so it's gonna teach us all how to fly. Just the wrong way. I'm really bad so don't expect anything marvelous.

Team building
248.png
561.png

I knew I wanted Sigilyph, and I also knew it was gonna be on sanstall, so Tyranitar seemed better than Hippowdon in the fact it covers Skarmory and Gliscor, both of which counter sigilyph.
248.png
561.png
051.png

I knew from past experience with sigilyph that one of it's main counters is Terrakion, so I basically threw in Dugtrio to kill that. I wasn't putting much effort into the team at that point.
248.png
561.png
051.png
373.png

I needed a physical sweeper, I wasn't really trying hard so far, as I've said. I knew Moxiemence was out, and I needed another of one of the types, so I just went Salamence.
248.png
561.png
051.png
373.png
227.png

I wanted a wall and a phazer as well, so Skarmory seemed the obvious choice seeing as it is also part flying.
248.png
561.png
051.png
373.png
227.png
423-e.png

I needed a water resist, and this guy seemed cool, and I'd never used it before. The team seemed mediocerly stallish though.
248.png
561.png
645.png
373.png
227.png
423-e.png

This was the day later, and I had had a good sleep, so I though harder, are there any better Terrakion counters than Dugtrio? I put in Landorus because it was better than a one use pokemon, although I'm not actually sure it's a great terrakion counter.
248.png
561.png
645.png
385.png
227.png
423-e.png

I knew that salamence was the weak link in the team, weak to sandstorm, didn't help with typings etc. I needed a good Ice and Rock resist. I put in Scarfrachi (my speciality) because it counters some of the terrakion sets and it generally brings luck to whatever team it's in. Finally I had 6 pokes I was happy with to work on.

images

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Sand Stream
252 HP/ 64 Sp.A/ 192 Sp.D
Sassy
-Stealth Rock
-Crunch
-Fire Blast
-Ice Beam
Basically a Smgon set. Ice Beam helps to kill Gliscor which would otherwise taunt troll my team. Fire Blast is mainly there for Skarmory on this tar, Skarmory being one of 2/3 counters to Sigilyph once it sets up. Stealth Rock is there for Dragonite and Crunch is a general STAB, although I'm considering replacing it with Earthquake, but I don't think that would work very well. This thing helps against ice users not called mamoswine alot.

sigilyph_by_laspliten-d3bdlxa.png

Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
Magic Guard
252 HP/ 58 Def/ 200 Sp. Def
Bold
-Cosmic Power
-Psycho Shift
-Roost
-Stored Power
Don't be decieved - this thing is a beast. I made some variation to the advised set in the EVs because on a poke that can burn the opponent I find Sp.D more important, I'll edit them some more when I get time. I want it to be able to take a Tyranitar's crunch and a Terrakion's stone edge at +1 and then survive another when the Tyranitar/Terrakion is burned - I don't know if it can do this, but from past experience with sigilyph I think it can. I'll probably end up finding the Smogon ones are right but for now I'm keeping mine. Anyway, I've used Sigilyph before, so I know how to use it, and I'm pretty happy with it. This thing is hilarious to troll, it counters most of the major threats in the meta, it's countered by Sub CM Jirachi, Skarmory (but skarmory only phazes it, and I normally can burn it then stall it to death) and some Heatran after it's set up, and before the best checks are sandstorm sweepers such as Tyranitar, Terrakion and Landorus.

landorus_by_yilx-d3bg25o.jpg

Landorus @ Leftovers
Sand Force
252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Jolly
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Swords Dance
-Substitute
So it makes the team more of a balenced team rather than stall. It deals with most of Sigilyphs counters if used properly. I'm considering switching this for a scarf Landorus and changing Scarfrachi to... something else. It's useful to finish off with a sweep that I have weakened with stall. It also helps against sun teams if I can get their clorophyll sweepers out of the way. I'm considering Gliscor here to keep along with stall but idk..

8c8772b200295f319ddeaad88076bd67-d46h2xh.png

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Storm Drain
252 HP/ 4 Sp.A / 252 Sp.D
-Scald
-Earth Power
-Toxic
-Recover
This thing covers the water weakness that sandstorm teams generally have, it can also cover some CM Jirachi. Because of the immenseness of this pokemon it can wall some of the major threats to the rest of the team. It's a goodish check for mamoswine and it can help everything set up by throwing burns around. I'm considering replacing Toxic with something else because I don't really use it but I'm not sure, though I can use it to force switches.

Skarmory__Normal_Coloration_by_Xous54.png

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Sturdy
252 HP/ 232 Def/ 24 Spe
Impish
-Roost
-Spikes
-Whirlwind
-Brave Bird
This thing can help weaken things making them easy to stall etc. It's useful to get more hazards up to annoy the opponent, it also resists QuakeEdge. I can't really say much because I think I'm running out of words.

jirachi_v_2_by_xous54-d4685ol.png

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Serene Grace
252 HP/ 252 Spe/ 4 Atk
-Thunder Punch
-Fire Punch
-Ice Punch
-Iron Head
I honestly like this thing. It's an unexpected revenge killer that can kill things when their not looking. With spikes and everything up, this thing can do some damage while also luring in things like ferrothorn for me to set up on. I might put in trick, but I'm not sure which punch to take out, I also sometimes get tempted and use it when I shouldn't.

I'm gonna try and put in some examples of battles I've done in here.

Well, that's my team, I'm really bad so I expect you to find lots of mistakes. I'm worried it's a bit overcenteralised around sigilyph lol...​

Last edited:

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
OU Threats
;242;
Tyranitar, Landorus, Jirachi, Skarmory

;286;
Sigilyph, Sleep Clause, Jirachi

;437;
Tyranitar, Gastrodon

;251;
Jirachi, Tyranitar, Sigilyph

;091;
Jirachi, Sigilyph (if I can burn it)

:534:
Jirachi (sometimes lol), Landorus, Skarmory, Gastrodon

:386-s:
Landorus, Tyranitar (if HP Fire), Jirachi (a bit)

;149;
Tyranitar, Skarmory, Gastrodon, Jirachi, Sigilyph

;196;
Tyranitar, Landorus, Gastrodon, Jirachi

:598:
Tyranitar, Landorus, Sigilyph

;205;
Tyranitar, Sigilyph, Jirachi

;423-e;
Sigilyph, Gastrodon

;094;
Jirachi, Landorus, Gastrodon

;472;
Tyranitar, Skarmory, Gastrodon

;130;
Jirachi, Sigilyph, Skarmory, Gastrodon

:612:
Jirachi, Gastrodon, Skarmory, Sigilyph

;485;
Landorus, Gastrodon

;392;
Sigilyph, Landorus, Gastrodon

:593:
Gastrodon, Landorus

;385;
Tyranitar (Sometimes), Landorus, Gastrodon (Sub CM), Sigilyph (Parahax), Skarmory (Sub CM)

:645:
Tyranitar (Sometimes), Gastrodon, Jirachi

;380;
Jirachi, Tyranitar, Skarmory, Gastrodon

;381;
Jirachi, Tyranitar, Skarmory, Sigilyph, Landorus

;448;
Tyranitar, Sigilyph, Gastrodon

;462;
Tyranitar, Landorus, Gastrodon, Sigilyph (and the fact there are two steels makes it a bit less useful)

;376;
Landorus, Gastrodon

:620:
Jirachi, Sigilyph, Landorus, Gastrodon, Skarmory

;038;
Tyranitar, Gastrodon, Sigilyph, Landorus

;186;
Tyranitar, Gastrodon, Sigilyph, Jirachi

:579:
Tyranitar, Skarmory, Jirachi, Sigilyph (PP Stall lol...)

;479-w;
Gastrodon

;373;
Jirachi, Tyranitar, Landorus, Gastrodon, Skarmory, Sigilyph

;212;
Jirachi, Skarmory, Gastrodon

:560:
Gastrodon, Skarmory, Jirachi

;227;
Tyranitar, Sigilyph + Jirachi (burn and stall), Gastrodon

;121;
Tyranitar, Jirachi, Gastrodon

;260;
Gastrodon, Sigilyph

;073;
Gastrodon, Sigilyph, Landorus

:639:
Landorus, Jirachi, Gastrodon

;454;
Tyranitar, Landorus, Jirachi, Sigilyph

;248;
Landorus, Jirachi, Gastrodon

;134;
Gastrodon, Sigilyph

;003;
Sigilyph, Jirachi

:640:
Sigilyph, Skarmory, Jirachi

:637:
Gastrodon, Landorus, Stealth Rock

I'll do the other tiers at some other point...​

Last edited:
It looks like a good team, but there are a few things that can threaten it.

Houndoom effortlessly takes down your Sigilyph, although it isn't seen often at all.

This team is rather weak to Sun teams, especially ones with Dugtrio to take down your Tyranitar. As such, I would suggest replacing Jirachi with a Scarfed Heatran to counter Sun teams.

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
It looks like a good team, but there are a few things that can threaten it.

Houndoom effortlessly takes down your Sigilyph, although it isn't seen often at all.

This team is rather weak to Sun teams, especially ones with Dugtrio to take down your Tyranitar. As such, I would suggest replacing Jirachi with a Scarfed Heatran to counter Sun teams.

I have used Sigilyph often before now, and I have never found a Houndoom in OU. Also if it doesn't have Leftovers I can stall it to death or if it does PP stall it hopefully. I don't really worry about Houndoom.

I do see what you mean about Dugtrio, so I'll test around with Scarftran. It would leave me sorta weak to rain though...

Thanks!

Last edited:

Zachmac

It would leave me sorta weak to rain though...
If that's a concern, Ferrothorn could work over Skarmory. It handles rain teams well, except their steel-type walls.

Though skarmory does have the advantage of phazing.

Houndoom isn't a problem, because under the rare condition it is seen, it'll be stopped by T-tar, Gastrodon, or Landorus.

Last edited:

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
If that's a concern, Ferrothorn could work over Skarmory. It handles rain teams well, except their steel-type walls.

Though skarmory does have the advantage of phazing.

Houndoom isn't a problem, because under the rare condition it is seen, it'll be stopped by T-tar, Gastrodon, or Landorus.

Flying 3:3 lol... I'm not finding Heatran briliant though...

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
I can see Rotom-W giving you a headache from time to time. I like this team, but you have a stretch that is weak to the common Rotom set. I'd also caution against unaware quagsire as Sigilyph is dependant on the power boost that Quagsire happily ignores and delivers back with an Ice Punch. I can also see that your team needs to caution a Boltbeam set as 3 out of 6 are crushed by it since you have a strong flying type presence on your team.

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
I can see Rotom-W giving you a headache from time to time. I like this team, but you have a stretch that is weak to the common Rotom set. I'd also caution against unaware quagsire as Sigilyph is dependant on the power boost that Quagsire happily ignores and delivers back with an Ice Punch. I can also see that your team needs to caution a Boltbeam set as 3 out of 6 are crushed by it since you have a strong flying type presence on your team.
Gastrodon absolutely walls Rotom-W.

Sigilyph has the ability to burn Quagsire, then I can kill it with something else/stored power (I'm not sure how Stored Power works on Quagsire so yeah).

Also, given that this team is meant to be flying 3:3 it's going to have a boltbeam weakness, that's kinda why the rest of the team are resistant to it and can hurt it's users back.

Perhaps if you said what I should change?

Wire

Banned
Skarm does nit resist bolt beamclol. Use ANYHTING over scarfed rachi

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
Gastrodon absolutely walls Rotom-W.

Sigilyph has the ability to burn Quagsire, then I can kill it with something else/stored power (I'm not sure how Stored Power works on Quagsire so yeah).

Also, given that this team is meant to be flying 3:3 it's going to have a boltbeam weakness, that's kinda why the rest of the team are resistant to it and can hurt it's users back.

Perhaps if you said what I should change?

Gastrodon is about ALL you have that walls Rotom-W and gastrodon is checked by your typical bulky water counters which include toxic, grass knot and grass attacks. Quagsire will take a burn and do less damage, but it defeats the purpose of your setting up Sigilyph. Boltbeam is a predominent threat on the table with any team. Your best bet is to introduce something to better counter the treat out of your remaining team to handle issue. Ferrothorn does come to mind to help handle most, if not all, of the problems I've mentioned.

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
Skarm does nit resist bolt beamclol. Use ANYHTING over scarfed rachi
Lol, I said all the flyings are weak to it, I beleive Skarmory is a flying lol.

I could probably rape you with scarfrachi but I'll probably be removing it anyway because I'm testing around with scarfdorus to counter sun.
Gastrodon is about ALL you have that walls Rotom-W and gastrodon is checked by your typical bulky water counters which include toxic, grass knot and grass attacks. Quagsire will take a burn and do less damage, but it defeats the purpose of your setting up Sigilyph. Boltbeam is a predominent threat on the table with any team. Your best bet is to introduce something to better counter the treat out of your remaining team to handle issue. Ferrothorn does come to mind to help handle most, if not all, of the problems I've mentioned.

Jirachi a bit, how does ferro help against Rotom-W? It'll just burn and switch/ Trick it.

I guess Quag might be a problem, but again, Gastro walls it.

God, how many times have I said boltbeam is gonna be a problem on a flying 3:3 team, but I've countered it as much as possible?

If there's thing's only walled by gastro I'll be careful when I see them in the Team Preview.

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
Lol, I said all the flyings are weak to it, I beleive Skarmory is a flying lol.

I could probably rape you with scarfrachi but I'll probably be removing it anyway because I'm testing around with scarfdorus to counter sun.

Jirachi a bit, how does ferro help against Rotom-W? It'll just burn and switch/ Trick it.

I guess Quag might be a problem, but again, Gastro walls it.

God, how many times have I said boltbeam is gonna be a problem on a flying 3:3 team, but I've countered it as much as possible?

If there's thing's only walled by gastro I'll be careful when I see them in the Team Preview.

Ferrothorn can return with status of it's own (or you can modify Jirachi simlarly) to paralyze and nullify the utility of Rotom. Ferro can also use Powerwhip. I namingly just tossed it in there because you have a neat sandstorm flying 3-3 team. Also, the role Jirachi plays on your team, it won't like burn from Rotom anymore than Ferro would (maybe even like it less). But I've read you plan to replace it with scarfed Landorus so I guess I've rambled on for no reason.

Indeed, Quagsire can be a bit of a problem. Aside from Gastrodon, Skarmory could wall it all day too if Quagsire is poisoned (burn too, but slower progress). The Sire really hates taking a sick day lol.

Indeed, you have said it many times. It's still a point that's going to keep coming up. I won't do it anymore, but when you have a popular weakness, it's obvious to most people and even forum trolls will pick up on it and keep the annoying trend going.

It's a nice team all in all. It'll take extra careful prediction and foresight, but it has functionality.

jacques

Banned
yea gliscor am tough for the team. you can try shuca berry on tyranitar i use this and it do pretty well. addition you could try better landorus set. substitute/eq/hp ice/stoen egde better wall breaker than current set. however team am still not tough against skarmory on other teams. you can try changing to uturn/volt team like make landorus scarf then rotom-w > gastro, jirachi to scizor to give skarm less chance to spike. even maybe run taunt on your skarm to prevent.

good team:D

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
Bump.

I'm also testing around with tyrani/landy/ferro/terrakion/sigilyph/magne as I have been advised to by peachy.