• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Weird Move Sets Thread

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Sylveon has Shadow Ball, which complements Fairy STAB to hit everything except lolPyroar neutrally, something Florges can't boast.

Pixillate is alright, but your argument for hyper voice is invalid with Moonblast

...How?

1.3 * 90 == 117 > 95. The increase in power about about 20 bp makes up for the marginal disadvantage in SpA.

Not to mention HP is the only major buff that Sylveon has over Florges. I can see a good Stored Power set with calm mind on Sylveon, but other than that, Florges has pretty much the same set ups, but better.

The HP is what makes Sylveon better. Tanks want HP, especially if they're passing Wishes; Sylveon takes physical hits slightly better than Florges and special hits slightly worse, on top of hitting harder and having more relevant moves.

252 Atk Genesect Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 228-270 (63.3 - 75%)
252 Atk Genesect Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 244+ Def Sylveon: 236-278 (59.8 - 70.5%)

252 SpA Genesect Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Florges: 170-204 (47.2 - 56.6%)
252 SpA Genesect Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon: 198-234 (50.2 - 59.3%)

Gampi

ガンピ
Delphox@ Sitrus Berry/Leftovers
Blaze, Timid nature
252HP, 252Def, 4SpAtk
--Role Play
--Flamethrower
--Psychic
--Calm Mind

Go go gadget gimmick set.
Use it in Double battles in conjuction with Furfrou. It works really well, just watch out for wild Garchomp and Tyranitar.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Sylveon has Shadow Ball, which complements Fairy STAB to hit everything except lolPyroar neutrally, something Florges can't boast.

...How?

1.3 * 90 == 117 > 95. The increase in power about about 20 bp makes up for the marginal disadvantage in SpA.
The whole thing about shadow ball is all nice and dandy, but, other than Psyshock or Stored Power, Sylveon is left with virtually no counter to Poison types, and, as we all know by now, Poison types are being used more often to counter Fairy-types. So answer me how Shadow Ball is better coverage? So perhaps Sylveon has better tanking potential, but Florges is still more well rounded when it comes to the various roles it can play. Once again, Stored Power could be used with Calm Mind for a good powerful special attack, but Sylveon doesn't have many other notable sets that Florges can't do better. Yes Hyper Voice is strong, but without a move in your moveset to counter Poison types, Sylveon would have to worry about any poison types on your opponent's side. Another note is that Sylveon can pull up dual screens, but after seeing its move list, there are very few differences. Yes it can learn Hyper Voice, but that is through a Gen V tutor, and that is also assuming you have an Eevee in that game that has its HA. The HP is also a "marginal difference" so honestly the difference isn't that big. So Hyper Voice is good and all, but I still want to stick to my side.

Last edited:

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
Here's some moveset's that I've used in the past(can't remember EV's)
Dragonite@Yache Berry
Impish
Toxic
Roost
Dragon Claw
Fire Punch

Ninetales@Leftovers
Calm
Flamethrower
Safeguard
Will-O-Wisp
Confuse Ray

Milotic@Life Orb
Adamant
Waterfall
Avalanche
Iron Head
Return

Weavile@Focus Sash
Modest
Nasty Plot
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse
Surf
~RaichuArcanine~

Weavile@Focus Sash
Modest
Nasty Plot
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse
Surf
~RaichuArcanine~

srsly, weavile has 45 base sp. atk, you can't use that

EDIT: Cryogonal and even Vanilluxe outclasses this.

Last edited:

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
The whole thing about shadow ball is all nice and dandy, but, other than Psyshock or Stored Power, Sylveon is left with virtually no counter to Poison types, and, as we all know by now, Poison types are being used more often to counter Fairy-types.

Outside of Gengar and Venasaur, Poison-types really aren't that common. Steel-types are much better for countering fairies.

So answer me how Shadow Ball is better coverage?

Fairy+Ghost hits everything except Pyroar for at least neutral damage, which is much better than Fairy+Psychic which gets walled by common Steel-types.

So perhaps Sylveon has better tanking potential, but Florges is still more well rounded when it comes to the various roles it can play. Once again, Stored Power could be used with Calm Mind for a good powerful special attack, but Sylveon doesn't have many other notable sets that Florges can't do better. Yes Hyper Voice is strong, but without a move in your moveset to counter Poison types, Sylveon would have to worry about any poison types on your opponent's side.

You know, Sylveon can run Hyper Voice AND Psyshock at the same time. That way it isn't walled by Poison-types. As for roles, Sylveon wish passes better due to it's higher HP. Sylveon can also pull off a Calm Mind set more successfully due to it's better coverage moves. Also, Pixilate Hyper Voice is a 117 BP move that hits through substitute. Sylveon just simply outclasses Florges.

Just saying, there's a reason Sylveon is OU and Florges isn't.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
srsly, weavile has 45 base sp. atk, you can't use that

EDIT: Cryogonal and even Vanilluxe outclasses this.

Well the post said those were sets they've already used before, awful or not. I don't know if Cryogonal and Vanilluxe are really that telling of comparisons, though. Saying something terrible is worse than something that's legitimately usable with its role doesn't really say that much, if you ask me.

Last edited:
Well the post said those were sets they've already used before, awful or not. I don't know if Cryogonal and Vanilluxe are really that telling of comparisons, though. Saying something terrible is worse than something that's legitimately usable with its role doesn't really say that much, if you ask me.

Cryo and Vanilluxe are not good, I just wrote two random pokés that does the same job better, with respectable sp. atk.

I thought "Weird movesets" meant creative/unique movesets, not bad movesets, apparently I was wrong.

Anyway, here is my "weird set"

Sudowoodo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Rattled
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Mud-Slap
- Round
- Uproar

pretty good

252+ SpA Sudowoodo Hidden Power Rock vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pidgeotto: 168-198 (62.9 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Outside of Gengar and Venasaur, Poison-types really aren't that common. Steel-types are much better for countering fairies.

Fairy+Ghost hits everything except Pyroar for at least neutral damage, which is much better than Fairy+Psychic which gets walled by common Steel-types.

You know, Sylveon can run Hyper Voice AND Psyshock at the same time. That way it isn't walled by Poison-types. As for roles, Sylveon wish passes better due to it's higher HP. Sylveon can also pull off a Calm Mind set more successfully due to it's better coverage moves. Also, Pixilate Hyper Voice is a 117 BP move that hits through substitute. Sylveon just simply outclasses Florges.

Just saying, there's a reason Sylveon is OU and Florges isn't.

After looking through Pixillate's description I can make two conclusions. One, Sylveon is indeed superior, and, two, Pixillate is somewhat overpowered.

Tonguetyd

Sudowoodo @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Mud-Slap
- Round
- Uproar

pretty good

252+ SpA Sudowoodo Hidden Power Rock vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pidgeotto: 168-198 (62.9 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is extremely hilarious. When you 2HKO a Pidgeotto with a Stab Super Effective move with max EVs and Choice Specs on you, you better try something else.

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
Cryo and Vanilluxe are not good, I just wrote two random pokés that does the same job better, with respectable sp. atk.

I thought "Weird movesets" meant creative/unique movesets, not bad movesets, apparently I was wrong.

Anyway, here is my "weird set"

Sudowoodo @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Mud-Slap
- Round
- Uproar

pretty good

lol it's my game I use what I like :D I enjoy making movesets that utilize the opposite of what the pokemon usually does. Here's one I've used with Roserade(can't remember EV's):
Roserade@Focus Sash
Adamant
Seed Bomb
Poison Jab
Swords Dance
Return

This Sandslash worked so well on my Sunny Day Team
Sandslash@Leftovers
Impish
Sunny Day
Rapid Spin
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
~RaichuArcanine~

Natural

What about technician screech/pursuit/hidden power (fight)/fake out Ambipom?

I know screech sets are a little gimmicky, but wouldn't technician make screech/pursuit at least a little more viable?

Citizen Insane

Eh, life is a game.
Smeargle

1. Mimic
  2. Imprison
  3. Taunt
  4. Disable

I once encountered such a Smeargle in a Wifi match, it was a pain in the bum. Hahah... But that's just the tip of the iceberg, he also switched to a Wobbuffet all the time.

Last edited:

joe_alker

I would say the amount of Pokémon that can learn Surf. Aggron? That big dog from Black/White that evolved from Lillipup that I cannot remember the name of? Mew (I know it has the genes of all Pokémon so can learn most moves, but why would you sit on a Mew to fly or Surf or go up a waterfall? It makes no sense -_-)