• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The "What Attacks Should They Learn?" Thread

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
Right now, what Ash team really needs is a Feint user and a Brick Break user.

Feint for Pikachu and Brick Break for Buizel maybe? I dunno.

You're no fair! I was just getting ready to post that! So much for me being first on the Buizel/Brick Break thing...

Pikachu-Feint
Staraptor-Twister
Grotle-Leaf Storm, Superpower
Monferno/Infernape-Flare Blitz, Blast Burn
Buizel/Floatzel-Brick Break, Ice Fang, Razor Wind
Gliscor-Aqua Tail

Waterpokes

Pikachu learning BrickBreak!

Because lots of Pokemon does not use Protect and if you don't use Protect, it's useless!
And since somebody said that Regirock's Stone Edge overpowered Electabuzz's Protect, I think Pikachu should do the same!
Buizel can learn Ice Punch, since it's not water!

thunderblade12

Pikachu:
Ash should take a note from Paul and start giving his pokemon more defensive attacks. Pikachu has enough offense right now, it could use protect or light screen. Pikachu doesn't have a single defensive attack. Light screen would work best since it would protect Ash's other pokemon too.

Grotle:
Synthesis is probably it's most important attack since it became defensive. If Ash really wants Grotke to become like Paul's Torterra then he should take advantage of synthesis. Grotle should learn sunny day and solar beam and become a sunny-beamer. If it evolved into Torterra I'd say it can learn wood hammer but I don't think it will.

Monferno:
Since it becomes a pseudo-god when it's in blaze form it should just learn powerful fire attacks. Since it seems like a very physical pokemon since it evolved, flare blitz should work nicely. After it evolves into Infernape it should learn blast burn so that it has an extremely powerful attack and can compete with Paul's pokemon.

Staraptor:
All I can see helping Staraptor is a ranged attack(whirlwind doesn't inflict damage) or roost. It already has some powerful attacks. Air cutter or ominous wind would be a good ranged attack for it.

Gliscor:
It's in the same position as Staraptor. Gliscor is a versatile pokemon and has a ton of type variety. Maybe it could widen it's variety even more and bring a poison type move to Ash's Sinnoh team, poison jab. Earth power would be nice too. Gliscor could use an actual ground type attack and it would be a ranged attack for it.

Buizel:
Rain dance would help it become as fast as it was in the battle against Maylene in every battle and also power up all of it's water type attacks. Since Buizel/Floatzel doesn't learn any truely powerful water type attacks it should also learn ice punch instead to add an ice type attack to Ash's Sinnoh roster. Ice punch would also allow Buizel to use ice aqua jet without having to rely on a convenient ice attack heading it's way, just for surprise value. Even it evolved into Floatzel I can't see any moves that would be better than ice punch and rain dance except maybe replacing ice punch with ice fang.

Piplup:
Power the penguin up a bit. Hydro pump will probably be learnt eventually. It could also use drill peck. Besides adding power, I don't see anything else that can be done with Piplup's moveset. Hydro pump and drill peck could both be very appealing in contests too. Imagine Piplup creating a whirl pool and using drill peck to turn it into a water twister.

Buneary:
It needs something type-wise that Dawn's team doesn't already have. Piplup has peck so that negates bounce, Mamoswine's double edge negates comet punch, and Mamoswine's ice attacks negate ice beam. If it evolves into Lopunny it should learn some physical attacks like sky uppercut and/or jump kick as I can see Lopunny being very agile. Fighting attacks on Dawn's team would be nice now that Ambipom is gone.

Pachirisu:
I honestly can't see it learning anything new. It can learn last resort as an excuse for Dawn to get DEM wins(like Piplup's bide and Skitty's assist).

Mamoswine:
First off, ice shard should go back to looking like shards of ice spraying out of Mamoswine's mouth not one big blue ball. Ice shard and ancient power look exactly the same except for the color. Maybe Mamoswine can learn ice fang. Instead of biting it's tusks can become icy and then Mamoswine can smash it's opponet. Blizzard is probably inevitable because Mamoswine is a contest pokemon and SNO IZ PRITTIE! Maybe it will learn giga impact/earth power or something?

Croagunk:
To defeat Toxicroak it should learn mud bomb

Happiny:
When it evolves attacks like egg bomb and softboiled are likely

Sudowoodo:
Rock tomb or something would be nice. That way it can have a rock move and be effective when Brock leaves it at the Pewter Gym.

Last edited:

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Ha. Lets's begin, thunderblade.

Pikachu: Ash doesn't need to teach it defensive moves because Ash bases his strategy around speed. The only one he needs to alter that for is Grotle. Pikachu only needs to be able to stop others defending, ala Feint or Brick Break.

Staraptor (apologies for changing your order, but Starly was caught first): If Whirlwind doesn't damage, then I guess it's a good thing he knows Gust...but I do agree on another long ranged move, since it's something his past birds (with the exception of Noctowl's Confusion) have lacked.

Grotle: No. Solar Beam cannot go on Grotle. It would be hated. Sunny Day, however, could be helpful.

Buizel: I'd rather he didn't get Ice Punch. He lacks short ranged moves, but I'd still rather he used Icy Wind than Ice Punch. For close range, he can get something like Quick Attack? Just somthing to hit them with that's physical. Maybe Pursuit...it'd stop Paul from switching so much.

Monferno: He just evolved and learned Mach Punch, so he's fine for now. I agree with Blast Burn if he evolves, but I'd prefer Flare Blitz to wait until he evolved too. I'd like Monferno to be focused as a fighter. They can improve his flame attacks later.

Gliscor: I don't want Poison Jab. Croagunk already has it. I like the idea of Earth Power, but I'd much prefer Earthquake.

I can't be bothered to do the others, but I will mention this. Piplup and Mamoswine's moves don't have an effect on what Buneary already knows, especially since Buneary was there long before Mamoswine. Also, she knows Dizzy Punch, not Comet Punch.

I do like Sudowoodo with Rock Tomb though, now that the animation has become like Magmortar used it.

Iota

BM14murph

Master Collector
Pikachu - The chances of Ash getting defensive with it are very unlikely
Staraptor - As i said before for a range attack - swift
Grotle - Sunny Day with Solar Beam would be good for a new range attack but i still like crunch
Monferno - Now that i think of it Blast Burn is pretty obvious for when it evolves due to Paul and Barry and their pokemon
Buizel - I'm still hoping for ice punch
Gliscor - it would look cool but i don't wanna see it with poison jab....I'd rather it have earth power but is it more likely than earthquake???

Waterpokes

Pikachu - Something psychial and not some Electric attack. Best move to get: BrickBreak!
Grotle - Something defensive or something helpful, to help it's teamates. Best move to get: Sunny Day/Rain Dance!
Staraptor - Something long ranged attacks, instead of direct attacks. Best move to get: Heat Wave!
Buizel - Something that happens to be non-water and something punchy! Best move to get: Ice Punch!
Gliscor - Can go under the helpful category and set up advantages! Best move to get: Stealth Rock!
Monferno - Since everyone like it, so why not something from distance! Best move to get: Focus Blast!

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
Best Strategic Moves for Ash's battle against Paul
Pikachu-Feint (To break through Electabuzz's Protect)
Staraptor-Roost (To heal from Brave Bird damage)
Grotle-Sunny Day (To power up Monferno's fire attacks)
Monferno-Flare Blitz (Uber-Blaze Fire Slam!!!)
Buizel-Brick Break (To break through Electabuzz's Light Screen) OR Buizel-Rain Dance (To speed it up)
Gliscor-Aqua Tail (A surprise for Paul's Gliscor)

terminoob

The Underdog
You're no fair! I was just getting ready to post that! So much for me being first on the Buizel/Brick Break thing...

Pikachu-Feint
Staraptor-Twister
Grotle-Leaf Storm, Superpower
Monferno/Infernape-Flare Blitz, Blast Burn
Buizel/Floatzel-Brick Break, Ice Fang, Razor Wind
Gliscor-Aqua Tail

Not to be off-topic, but wasn't I the first to suggest Buizel/Brick Break a page back? Anyway, to keep this post on topic... I think Piplup definitely needs to upgrade Peck with Drill Peck (or has it already?) and I think Mist would be a great move for it to learn

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
If it's staying as a Piplup (which it is), then it needs something new...and since it doesn't learn Hydro Pump until it's mega-level, then Drill Peck would be perfect, especially if it is in fact around the level that the TCG predicts (39).

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
Not to be off-topic, but wasn't I the first to suggest Buizel/Brick Break a page back?

Did you? Sorry, I must have missed that. Greatest apologies.

Piplup-Drill Peck and Brine/Hydro Pump
Buneary-Jump Kick/Fire Punch/Sky Uppercut
Pachirisu-Nothing.
Mamoswine-Avalanche and Giga Impact.
Ambipom-Thunderpunch/Solarbeam

Sudowoodo-Nothing.
Croagunk-Sludge Bomb/Gunk Shot
Happiny-Drain Punch

Meowth-Night Slash
Wobbufet-Nothing
Seviper-Poison Fang
Yanmega-Ominous Wind
Mime Jr.-Reflect and Psybeam/Wake-Up Slap
Carnivine-Power Whip

cloudk

hates you.
Piplup-Drill peck
Monferno-Flare Blitz
Pikachu-Brick break
Buizel-Razor wind
Meowth-Night Slash
Carnivine-Power whip
Sudowoodo-Wood Hammer

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
Zoey's Current Pokemon
Glameow/Purugly-Aerial Ace, Slash
Misdreavous/Mismagius-Magical Leaf, Will-O-Wisp
Shellos-Muddy Water, Body Slam
Finneon/Lumineon-Aqua Tail, Psybeam

Kenny's Current Pokemon
Prinplup-Brine, Ice Beam
Alakazam-Focus Punch
Breloom-Bullet Seed
Machoke-Dynamincpunch, Karate Chop

Nando's Current Pokemon
Roselia/Roserade-Weather Ball, Rain Dance
Sunflora-Solarbeam
Kricketune-Bug Buzz, Perish Song

Waterpokes

Piplup - It needs an upgrade from her boring moves! Best move to get: Drill Peck!
Buneary - It needs something else from just spamming the ice attack! Best move to get: Attract!
Pachirsu - It learned an attack, but something more is great to! Best move to get: Seed Bomb!
Mamoswine - Something else from ice attacks! Best move to get: Rock Tomb!

~HikariSatoshi~

ღ ヒカリ ღ
I want to see Pochama use Signal Beam; it'll be cool coming from a water type, and will be good for contests. Also, I want Pachirisu to use Magnet Rise in the Anime. Haha, imagine seeing a floating Pachirisu, I can just image that. I wonder how it'll look in the Anime.

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
Barry's Current Pokemon
Empoleon-Aqua Jet, Ice Beam
Staraptor-Steel Wing, Take Down
Roserade-Energy Ball, Solarbeam, Cut
Heracross-Brick Break, Shadow Claw

Volkner's Pokemon
Ambipom-Shock Wave, Shadow Claw, Fire Punch
Raichu-Focus Punch, Focus Blast, Thunderbolt
Octillery-Ice Beam, Octazooka, Bullet Seed, Water Pulse
Luxray-Charge Beam, Iron Tail, Ice Fang, Discharge

milenadrg

Dawn
Piplup:Rest, Hydro Pump, Drill Peck, Brine, Areal Ace
Buneary:Pound, Jump Kick, Charm, Hidden Power
Pachirisu:Quick Attack, Thunder, Double Team, Charge Beam
Mamoswine:Powder Snow, Ice Fang, Earthquake, Scary Face, Hyper Beam, Light Screen, Sandstorm

James
Mime Jr.:Barrier, Confusion, Doubleslap, Sunny Day
Carnivine:Swallow, Power Whip, Solar Beam, Grass Knot

Jessie
Wobbufet:Charm, Safeguard
Seviper:Iron Tail, Poison Jab
Yanmega:Bug Bite, Supersonic, Air Slash, Bug Buzz

thunderblade12

I don't really see what good a defense-breaking attack like brick break or feint would do for Pikachu. It would only help in the battle against Paul's Electabuzz, we don't see protect or detect enough to justify feint. Feint is only usable when your opponet uses protect so it would hardly be used unless the writers decided to give a pokemon on nearly every characters team either protect or detect from now on. Brick break would be okay but honestly, I think it would look like an iron tail clone and Pikachu would use it's tail for it.

Defensive attacks like protect or light screen for Pikachu would be a real help in a ton of battles. As we seen with Honchkrow, a pokemon is protected from special attacks by light screen even while moving so it wouldn't interupt Ash's speedy style.

Waterpokes

Sudowoodo - Needs something faster, even though speed don't matter here! Best move to learn: Sucker Punch!
Croagunk - Something non psyhcial and forget the other fighting move and begin to use something else! Best move to learn: Vacuum Wave!
Happiny - Needs something healish! Best move to learn: Aromatherapy!

thunderblade12

Pokemon don't forget moves in the anime...

The anime is not the games, the writers try to make it as realistic as possible (as much as they can with a fantasy of course).

Torterra already showed that it knows more than 4 moves. Leaf storm, hyper beam, giga grain, frenzy plant, and stone edge. Even Grotle knows bite, rock climb, synthesis, razor leaf, and energy ball. I'm not sure if it has used tackle lately, Ash may be avoiding it due to Grotle's speed problems, but it definately used the other 5 attacks lately.

Waterpokes

Are you talking to me, about the anime and games things?

Carnevine - Should learn something healing! Best move to learn: Ingrain!
Seviper - Should learn something more evil! Best move to learn: Poisen Fang!
Yanmega - Should learn something windy! Best move to learn: Air Cutter!
Meowth - Should learn something nasty! Best move to learn: Nasty Plot!