• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The "What Attacks Should They Learn?" Thread

terminoob

The Underdog
Hmm... If I recall correctly, doesn't Pikachu still know Agility? Or did the writers forget about that? Cause if it still knows it, then that could somewhat help against Paul.

JD

Volkner

Luxray
Thunderbolt
Chargebeam
Spark
Iron Tail
Bite

Raichu
Slam
Thunder
Double Team
Discharge

Ambipom
Shock Wave
Double Hit
Sand Attack

Octillery
Charge Beam
Octazooka
Flamethrower

JQ2ujrx

Burned By Passion
1st, ash shuld fully evolve all of his pkmn(even pikachu) then worry about their moves...(which wuld nvr happen, but if it did...)
Raichu-Thunderbolt, Volt Tackle, Dig, Focus Blast
Torterra-Woodhammer, Frenzy Plant, Earthquake, Synthesis
Floatzel-Waterfall, Ice Fang, Razor wind, Surf
Infernape-Close Combat, Blast Burn, Flare Blitz,Thunderpunch
Staraptor-Close Combat, Brave Bird, Fly, Double Team
Gliscor-Earthquake, Fire Fang, X-Scissor, Poson Jab

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Volkner

Luxray
Thunderbolt
Chargebeam
Spark
Iron Tail
Bite

Raichu
Slam
Thunder
Double Team
Discharge

Ambipom
Shock Wave
Double Hit
Sand Attack

Octillery
Charge Beam
Octazooka
Flamethrower

I can really see Volkner's Pokemon having attacks to combat their weaknesses. E.g.

Octillery - Flamethrower or Fire Blast to beat the old Grass types.
Ambipom - Aerial Ace or Bounce to destroy Fighting types. Maybe Water Pulse to polish off the Ground types before he sends out Raichu/Luxray.
Raichu - Grass Knot to take out the heavier Ground Types.
Luxray - Maybe Ice Fang to combat Ground types.

thunderblade12

Volkner

Luxray
Thunderbolt
Chargebeam
Spark
Iron Tail
Bite

Raichu
Slam
Thunder
Double Team
Discharge

Ambipom
Shock Wave
Double Hit
Sand Attack

Octillery
Charge Beam
Octazooka
Flamethrower

Good idea.

Volkner's Raichu:(moves we've never seen on a Raichu...and volt tackle..)
Charge beam
Volt tackle
Light screen
Thunder

Volkner's Luxray(Beat down)
Iron tail
Spark
Discharge
Fire fang

Volkner's Octillery(elemental destruction)
Octazooka
Aurora beam
Rock blast
Gunk shot
Psybeam
Bullet seed
Signal beam
Charge beam
Wow...Octillery's versatile...

Volkner's Ambipom(Speed son'na *****)
Thunder punch
Thunderbolt
Double hit
Brick break
Shadow claw

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
Pikachu - Feint
Staraptor - Ominous Wind/Heat Wave/Twister (any one of these will work)
Grotle - Earth Power/Earthquake
Monferno - Brick Break
Buizel - Ice Punch
Gliscor - Cross Poison

I've stood by my theory of one of Ash's Pokemon learning Feint ever since I saw Conway using it in Tag Battle. I choose Pikachu, so it can finally beat one of the Electa-line. I can also see Monferno learning as well. It knows how Paul trains, so maybe on its own it comes up with both Brick Break and Feint to sorta be "Anti-Paul."

thunderblade12

Pikachu: Light screen
Feint is only usable when your opponet uses detect or protect so I don't see why that's such a popular choice. It would hardly be used. Brick break would no doubt look similar to iron tail and, again, it would require the writers to spam the hell out of light screen and reflect for it's secondary effect to kick in. I really doubt they will teach Ash's pokemon attacks simply to defeat Paul. Light screen seems to defend pokemon even while they are in motion so it would be great for Pikachu. He could rush towards his opponets with volt tackle and not have to worry about being stopped by beam attacks. It would also protect the rest of Ash's pokemon so it would be a huge help.

Grotle: Sunny day+solar beam, giga drain, earth power
If you wanna add a bit of strategy, then make Grotle a sunny beamer. Sunny day, solar beam, and synthesis along with Grotle's defense would make it a pretty formidal opponet. Solar beam is a powerful grass type attack and one of the only strong attacks that would separate Ash's Grotle from Paul's Torterra. I don't think leaf storm would be the best choice statistically. It would lower Grotle's strength and then what would it have left? Grotle's whole strategy is being able to take hits while countering with powerful hits right? It won't do Ash a bit of good if Grotle could no longer deliver powerful hits. Maybe giga drain could help Grotle heal and help with it's defensive strategy and earth power could add some type variety.

Monferno:Flare blitz, focus blast/close combat, and blast burn
No brick break, no focus punch, no fire punch. They all look too similar to mach punch. Flare blitz could be a powerhouse physical move for Monferno since it seems to be pretty agile. Focus blast would be a better pick for a fighting attack than any of the other ones in Monferno/Infernape's movepool. Staraptor already has close combat but the monkey may learn it too rather than learning focus blast. Lucario's close combat was completely different from Staraptor's so who knows. Blast burn is a really strong attack that it will definately learn if it reaches it's final stage.

Buizel: Razor wind/waterfall, ice punch/fang/wind, rain dance
Razor wind is the strongest attack in it's level up move pool so it can add some power to Buizel's move set or it can learn waterfall instead but I really don't know how they would portray that in the anime. Buizel can learn ice punch or icy wind so that it doesn't have to rely on a stray ice attack to use ice aqua jet. Ice fang if it evolves into Floatzel. And ice attack would also add some type variety, Ash doesn't have any ice attacks on his Sinnoh team. Rain dance would turn Buizel/Floatzel into a real powerhouse. It would increase the power of it's water attacks as well as it's speed.

Staraptor: Roost, air cutter/ominous wind/twister
Roost would be a nice change of pace for Ash, another defensive attack. Ash is really going to need to go all out with attacks like roost if he ever wants to defeat Paul or win a league, more strategy is required. All of Staraptor's current damaging attacks are physical, making that Staraptor has to get close to it's opponet which sometimes causes it to get hit by special attacks. A special attack like air cutter, ominous wind, or twister would help. Twister and ominous wind would add some type variety too.

Gliscor: Earthquake/stone edge, night slash, and/or poison jab,
Earthquake and stone edge would both give Gliscor a ranged attack and a super powerful attack. Night slash and poison jab would add some nice type coverage to Ash's team.

Waterpokes

Pikachu:

New move: Brick Break

Reason: Ash's Pikachu is based on speed and when the opponent uses defence tactics, like Electabuzz with Reflect, Thunderbolt and Volt Tackle does not hit. Iron Tail is also weaker and Brick Break can break it. It's also good against Steel, Rock and Ice, but instead of using Iron Tail all the time, I bet that Pikachu can catch them off guard!

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Thunderblade, Protect is used absolutely loads, and Detect is used everytime a meditite is shown. So it's not that farfetched.

Iota

Alloute

Not Banned
Piplup: Brine and Drill Peck
Pikachu: Feint
Monferno: Shadow Claw
Buizel: Ice Fang, Crunch

pokefan16

Ash

Pikachu - Substitute/Flash
Staraptor- Heatwave/Twister
Grotle - LeafStorm/SeedBomb
Monferno - SunnyDay/ShadowClaw
Buizel - RazorWind/Ice Fang

Dawn

Piplup - Mist/Drill peck
Buneary - Secret Power/Charge Beam
Pachirisu - Double Team/Flash
Mamoswine - Scary Face/Rock Tomb

Brock

Croagunk - Sucker Punch/Sludge Bomb
Sudowoodo - Hidden Power/Stealth Rock
Happiny - Copycat

JD

I think Gliscor needs like stealth rock
it can hurt honchkrow and magmortar badly

Waterpokes

If they are going to make non-attacktive move to Ash's Pokemon:

Gliscor: Stealth Rock
Pikachu: Light Screen
Grotle: Sunny Day
Buizel: Rain Dance

thunderblade12

Just because they're defensive moves doesn't mean they can't be flashy.

We've seen all four of those attacks in the anime and they all look just fine to me

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
Pikachu-Feint
Staraptor-Nothing.
Grotle-Nothing.
Monferno/Infernape-Flare Blitz, Blast Burn
Buizel/Floatzel-Brick Break, Ice Fang, Razor Wind
Gliscor-Aqua Tail, Stealth Rock

And I don't know how many times I have to say it: BUIZEL CANNOT LEARN ICE FANG.

Waterpokes

I would rather see Brick Break overused then having a pointless Feint.
And is really that strong, if Pikachu could become uber again, it could overpower any attack! Just saying it.

Pikachu: Brick Break! It's a gift if he get's it!

Pikachu: Feint! What did he do to you?

thunderblade12

Brick break would look exactly like iron tail though.. I'm positive that Pikachu would use it's tail to do it. It's arms are way too short

Waterpokes

Well, Brick Break could have been with it's arms. It could flash up and hit.
But it might look like Iron Tail, but I can't see Pikachu as the defence type or something with Feint.
They either give us overused Protects or neverused Feint. And Protect is not cool.
And with Brick Break, more coverage over Steel types, as some of them are Ground.
I still stand for BrickBreak for Pikachu.