• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The "What Attacks Should They Learn?" Thread

Red and Blue

Gengar should learn Sludge Bomb at some point. It can get rid of Night Shade or Psychic.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Mew29240 said:
I'm down for it losing Night Shade. Psychic lets it do Poltergeist-like shenanigans (like when it fought in the lab) which is pretty handy.

My issue with Psychic has always been that it's too convenient of a move in general since it can do a lot of things in battle like levitate objects or stop opponents from moving. So while I think Satoshi's Gangar knowing it is fine for now, I think the writers will probably get rid of it eventually since it's almost too good of an attack for Satoshi to be using. Night Shade should definitely go soon, however.

Mew29240

My issue with Psychic has always been that it's too convenient of a move in general since it can do a lot of things in battle like levitate objects or stop opponents from moving. So while I think Satoshi's Gangar knowing it is fine for now, I think the writers will probably get rid of it eventually since it's almost too good of an attack for Satoshi to be using. Night Shade should definitely go soon, however.

There's an actual move called Poltergeist now (Physical, but still). It'd be cool if Gengar got it, but the anime hasn't been one for having Pokemon holding items that aren't Mega Stones, so I'm not sure how good it'd be...

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
There's an actual move called Poltergeist now (Physical, but still). It'd be cool if Gengar got it, but the anime hasn't been one for having Pokemon holding items that aren't Mega Stones, so I'm not sure how good it'd be...
Probably just a Ghost Type Psychic. Knock Off works as a standard in the anime so I think Poltergeist would be fine as well

Mew29240

Probably just a Ghost Type Psychic. Knock Off works as a standard in the anime so I think Poltergeist would be fine as well

It's meant to be used with held items though (I'm guessing it can't interact with living beings or something like that). I think the best they could do would be to have a Pokemon manipulate surrounding rubble or debris caused by other attacks if the opponent doesn't have anything removable on them.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
It's meant to be used with held items though (I'm guessing it can't interact with living beings or something like that). I think the best they could do would be to have a Pokemon manipulate surrounding rubble or debris caused by other attacks if the opponent doesn't have anything removable on them.
True. Then again, you can't Counter a Counter in game but that's how Ash won the Alola League so I think they could take some liberties.

TomRC121991

Dragonite: Dragon Claw, Hurricane, Hyper Beam, Dragon Rush

Gengar: Night Shade, Hex, Shadow Ball, Ice Punch

Lucario: Aura Sphere, Vacuum Wave, Force Plam, Reversal

Farfetch'd-Sirfetch'd: Night Slash, Brutal Swing, Meteor Assault

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
Cinderace. Pyro ball,Blaze kick,double team,bounce

Farfetched. Meteor assault,revenge,brutal swing,iron defense (to use the shield)

Yamper. Spark,roar,bite,nuzzle

DatsRight

Should have, was absolutely never, ever going to. If they're not even going to let Meowth of TRio learn it, no way is one of Ash's Pokemon going to.
---------------------------------------

Raboot should learn Bounce & U-Turn once it evolves (or before it evolves if it can).
Sirfetch'd has broken that trend.

I found it a shame neither Meowth or Greninja got it, but I can kinda see why they didn't like referencing it too vividly with the main characters for a long while.

Keep in mind the Japanese name for Night Slash is CROSSROAD KILLING.

I still want Meowth to freaking learn a new move at last though. The anime let Ash win a league before Meowth learned ONE. There's something nearly depressing about his stagnancy. :p

Last edited: