• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The "What Have You Written Today?" Thread

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Welcome, folks, to the daily "talk about your writing" thread! \o/ Here, you can post to talk about:

1. What you're working on
  2. What, specifically, you wrote today
  3. How many words you wrote today
  4. What you did instead of writing today (I'm kidding. Don't post just to say how hard you procrastinated.)

If someone looks like they're struggling with writing or if they're engaging in a writing challenge (like NaNoWriMo), feel free to also post tips, tricks, encouragement, and general positivity.

Have fun~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:゚✧

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
What you're working on?

I'm working on my entry for the next theme contest that's due in 2 months. No placeholder title given yet.

What, specifically, you wrote today?

I wrote texts to friends, along with an important email to a professor. What? That answers the question!

How many words you wrote today?

Technically, about a hundred. On an actual story? 0.

What you did instead of writing today (I'm kidding. Don't post just to say how hard you procrastinated.)

Having an actual job, playing Pokemon Go, doing chores around the house, and goofing off on Youtube, ignoring the last bit on a set of instructions.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
This sounds like it could be a fun thread! I'll answer for yesterday and about an hour of this morning:

What you're working on
My main fic here, Will Somebody Stop These Kids?, the title of which I find more embarrassing every day.

What, specifically, you wrote today
First scene in a new chapter. Had to do a lot of checking with prior chapters to make sure continuity's straight, as it's in the middle of a number of scenes that are very close chronologically but are told from different perspectives. I'm hoping that any trickiness in getting things to happen in the right order is limited to me as I write it, and that the reader just sees a smooth, logical sequence of events.

There's a small, funny twist at the end of this scene that isn't earth-shattering to the story (though one character might overreact to it), but that I think the readers will enjoy. We usually think of 'twists' as these big, dramatic, Shyamalan-esque things, but I think there's a lot of value in the small, funny twist as well.

How many words you wrote today
1,063, by Microsoft Word's counter anyway (and it was mostly yesterday with an hour of today so far (it's 10:10am here (whatever, this isn't a big deal))). I think that's a little under a third of the chapter? Between a fourth and a third, probably.

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
There's a small, funny twist at the end of this scene that isn't earth-shattering to the story (though one character might overreact to it), but that I think the readers will enjoy. We usually think of 'twists' as these big, dramatic, Shyamalan-esque things, but I think there's a lot of value in the small, funny twist as well.

Neat! I'll be looking forward to that, then. And also, you do a really good job presenting a smooth surface to your readers with your fic, so I'm sure you'll get the ordering thing nailed down well before any of us even notice!

I've done a satisfyingly palindromic 1001 words so far today, all for Chapter 08 of Arbitrary Execution. (Since I tried it with Go Home -- which is actually now all finished up and edited at last, so I may bump the posting schedule up from fortnightly to weekly -- I've really come to like having a several-chapter-long buffer between what's being posted and what I'm currently working on, in case I need to make emergency continuity edits to earlier chapters.) It's kind of a tricky bit -- the story is split between two perspectives, each following one character making discoveries about the main mystery of the story, and this is one of those points where I'm finding it a little difficult to match the pacing so that neither get too far along in their respective investigations before the other reaches her own next set of conclusions. I think I've got it just about worked out at this point, but it'll be nice to get past this to the more straightforward opening to Chapter 09.

DeliriousAbsol

Call me Del
What you're working on

System:Reboot! A Cyberpunk Pokemon Mystery Dungeon fanfiction, with awesome space-piratey goodness!

That would be spoilers ;) BUT! Chapter 25 is now finished, at a nice healthy 4,683 words (pre-edit)

2,213. Currently doing Camp NaNoWriMo, so I strive to stay ahead of doing 1,613 words a day to meet 50K by the end of the month. I'm ahead, but I didn't quite meet my goal yesterday. I am still ahead, and surpassed it today. So hopefully I've made up for lost time. Need to stay ahead 'cos we've got some busy weekends coming up. Hopefully I'll be done before the end of the month =D (With NaNo. System:Reboot is going to be looooong. I hope y'all like epics.)

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
My main fic here, Will Somebody Stop These Kids?, the title of which I find more embarrassing every day.
That title is great, be quiet. :p I mean it catches the eye, doesn't it? Will somebody stop those kids? You can't help but want an answer!

Anyway, I've written almost two pages today, which is excellent. Probably because I'm currently writing the first climax of book 1 of my fic but still. There were a fair few tricky emotions to nail down in the second half, but I'm very nearly done. All I have left is, ironically, the opening scene.

Lots of exciting Mewtwo shenanigans are coming soon. I should be posting the new chapter on Saturday. :D

~Chibi~;249;;448;

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
That title is great, be quiet.

It absolutely is. I keep meaning to start one of my reviews with a joke about the kids having not yet been stopped but so far I've always forgotten.

In terms of my own writing, I think I've broken the back of that difficult part in Chapter 08 of Arbitrary Execution now; I did about 1200 words of bureaucratic spycraft and white-collar crime and managed to get all my plot threads back in order. Unfortunately, I've been left with one character's plotline about two days ahead of the other one with both of them due to meet up again, but I'm pretty confident that should be an easy fix. Either way, I can leave it alone for a little bit now and prepare the next chapters of both Arbitrary Execution and Go Home for posting on Sunday and Saturday, respectively.

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
What you're working on?

I'm taking a break from Balance to work on a Digimon fanfic that was originally an RP. I could just remake the RP and try again but I know it'll probably die and I'm better at writing stories so yeah. :p

What, specifically, you wrote today?

Several things. Mostly character sheets and a general outline of events that happen before the plot of said Digimon fanfic.

How many words you wrote today?

Not sure, 400 I guess? But then again it's mostly planning so it probably doesn't count.

What you did instead of writing today?

Got a blood test. It wasn't fun at all, 0/10 would not recommend.

DarkerShining

Well, I'm currently working on the 54th chapter of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Reflecting Balance, having written the first draft of the first scene and I've just started working on the first draft of the next scene. I have a basic idea of what this chapter should be about, but I'll just have to keep writing and see how it turns out.

There's also this one-shot that'll be part of something related to Reflecting Balance, but I just can't seem to get it done. The fact that I just can't seem to make up my mind about where the story should begin probably doesn't help... Hopefully I can figure something out so I can get this thing going.

roule

take it all or leave it... I Feel You
What you're working on

snowstorm on the yellow sea

basically i wrote like 20 lines of dialogue, specifically of marie and guk-hyang screaming at each other and semi-sorta-kinda bonding...?

916 according to wordcounter

What you did instead of writing today

literally nothing. there's a flash flood warning where im staying right now. the only thing stopping me is hunger and the headache at the right side of my head.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Samayouru said:
Mostly character sheets and a general outline of events that happen before the plot of said Digimon fanfic.
Yes! More Digimon!

And here are my answers for today:

What you're working on
...will somebody stop these kids... I mean, Will Somebody Stop These Kids?

Emotions in rapid flux. Also started and got halfway through a conversation that's been giving me planning-fits for a long time. It does seem to be coming together though, and I think I'll be ready to finish it off nicely after a good night's sleep. This one conversation is either the first or second most trouble that this fic has given me, and I wouldn't doubt if it's all easier from here to the end.

1,259. More than I thought I'd do today, which I'll take as a good sign!

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
Saturdays are always good writing days (I say, without any supporting evidence on hand whatsoever): got about fifteen hundred words done, finished Chapter 08 and started to do the conversation that kicks off Chapter 09. Should be on track to manoeuvre my characters into an interesting situation in a certain abandoned mansion on Cinnabar Island within a day or two. Also managed to sort out that time discrepancy that was bugging me earlier and rewrote some earlier segments that I'd just realised didn't quite make sense as they were. Everything is finally starting to fit together in a satisfying kind of way.

Last edited:

ChloboShoka

Writer
What you're working on
My novel Emerald Oasis about a lady who lives in an enchanted care home. Written 10,000 words for the manuscipt but the majority of what I've written is mainly scribbles and character profiles. I've got the ending all sorted out, I just need to figure out what to put in the middle.

I mainly wrote a personal dairy entry on 750words.com and I think I wrote 800 words on there.

Around 800 words, but it might increase.

I worked, slept and drank tea. And I've been reading.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
This thread exists? Awesome.
Here are some of my answers.

1.What you're working on
I will go with yesterday because 1. it was a big day and 2. I did no writing today.
I finished my latest novel yesterday. It is not Pokémon related though. It is the final novel in a series I have been working on for about seven years.
The series has five complete novels now (I also have a standalone book finished that has no connections to this series), and I am now wondering if I feel like editing or writing some spinoff novels in this same world first.

2.What, specifically, you wrote today
(yesterday) The last few chapters. I think it was two, but I could be wrong there.

3.How many words you wrote today
(yesterday) At over 3,000 words a chapter (the last one was over 4,000), I would say about 7,000-8,000.
It was a good day of writing, but not quite an average amount for the day. I took breaks, and like I said, finished the novel. I have not started my next project yet.

4.What you did instead of writing today (I'm kidding. Don't post just to say how hard you procrastinated.)
For today, (I know this is more of a joke, and no, I did not procrastinate), I planned some ideas for my next project and also read some of my writing books. Nothing really written, but still a somewhat productive day.

I do plan on editing this series a good amount starting sometime soon. I hope to look into publishing even more than I already have as well. (Yes, I do plan on publishing my novels).

ChloboShoka

Writer
Do one for yesterday and one for today.

For Yesterday
What you're working on
Emerald Oasis - the novel I'm working on.
A prologue for my novel.
What you did instead of writing today (I'm kidding. Don't post just to say how hard you procrastinated.)
I worked, went swimming, had a curry and went to the pub.

For today
What you're working on
Emerald Oasis - my novel about a lady who moves into an enchanted nursing home.

A chapter of my novel. I wrote a part about Joyce being in hospital and how much she hates it.

965 words.

I watched youtube videos. Though I did write. :D

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Today I worked on Vicious Beast, a fic I haven't posted here yet but have some chapters up on Ao3. I'm also trying to work on Obsession but...eeeehhhhh...can't word!

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Holy crap I'm actually posting in this thread. :O

What you're working on

God help me, I'm trying out a One Piece fic right now. I have like a couple of ideas floating around anyway, but this particular one's for sure a multi-chaptered fic, albeit it won't be as long as what I typically write (so it might actually get finished if I keep at it). What's also absolute is that this won't find its way online until after I've caught up on One Piece, both anime and manga (for a good idea of where I am, I'm currently at episode 300, will start the manga once I'm caught up). So I have at least the rest of this year to draft it out and then fix the kinks once I know what I'm doing with the characters. Only thing is I'm honestly debating whether-or-not it's even a shipping fic because you'd think I'd learn not to write shipping fics.

You'd think.

God, I'm shipping trash...

Attempting to really build more of the backbone, as well as figuring out how to start the first chapter. Think I have a pretty good idea of what to do with it, just have to fill in the gaps.

I also worked on more of the... uh...

...sceeeeene...

...and I suspect it's gonna go through a bit of rewrites. I'm trying to go for a more awkward mood this time around.

Hey, at least it involves two humans for once.

Lol I dunno. *checks* At least 1,016 as of this typing. Still have the document open.

I stayed up until 4:30 AM this morning reading steamy Usopp/Nami fics and then ended up reading more after waking up instead of actually attempting to update my own fics because I dunno Dx. Help meeeeeee.

This was technically a few days ago now but for the first time in like a month and a half I did more writing! Over the course of a couple of days I wrote my entry for the platonic writing contest (can't reveal what it is yet;)) and it's something I'm actually really proud of!