• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Whirl Cup - Discussion/Information Thread

Son_of_Shadows

Approved by RaZoR LeAf

Hey guys, Son_of_Shadows, your friendly neighbourhood GM here. Any questions you have regarding the RP, post here. I'll do my best to answer them.

Rules of the RPG:
Rules:

Follow all Serebii.net forum rules.
Each post must be at least 8 sentences of decent information.
ABSOLTUTELY NO GOD-MODDING. Seriously, my last RP was really ruined by god-modders.
Mild swears are allowed, but nothing too heavy. This is PG-13.
Minor bunnying is accepted, but nothing major. Just to move the story on. Acceptable Example: John ducked under Jack's punch, and hammered an uppercut into his jaw, causing him to start bleeding.

Unacceptable example: John ducked under Jack's punch, and slammed an uppercut into his jaw, knocking him into the air. John followed up by beating the tar out of Jack until he was knocked out.

I operate a three strikes policy. That is to say, I'll warn you for the first two infractions, but on the third, you're out. If your first infraction's REALLY bad, I'll have to give you two strikes. Clear?

Links:
Main RPG Thread
Sign-up Thread

List of characters and introduction lines:
GM: Son_of_Shadows - Joshua Colquhoun - "Enter the rolling wave of Cerulean... Joshua A. Colquhoun!"
1. Treespyro - Samantha Hill - "The Glittering Prize from The Cherries, Here she is, Miss Samanthaaaaa Hillllllllll!!!"
2. Seth1789110 - Seth Nightingale - "Hoping for another Championship title, the Champion of the Island, SETH NIGHTINGALE!"
3. Ysavvryl - Vincent Starmie - "Representing the Slateport Institute of Oceanography, here's the deep-sea researcher, Vincent Starmie!"
4. Manaphy Mare - Senshi Kokorono - "A coordinator from the Hoenn League Championships’ hometown, Senshi Kokorono takes the stage!"
5. TomDraco - Tom Draco - "On stage! The Drrragon Warrior from Fallarbor, Toooommm Drrrrracoooo!"
6. Stabberz - Jason "Topaz" - "He's cool he's cold, he's the Gold Standard, Jason!!!"
7. Roy G. Biv - Devon Gale - "And here he comes, look out! It's the seafaring traveler, hailing from Olivine... Devon Gale!"
8. solovino - Dreis of the Geltz - "You think you're good, but here he comes, to scare you and water you down! Dreis of the Geltz!"
9. Parasite - May Bajie - “Introducing the flower of Olivine, May Bajie!”
10. Skillfulness - Michi Faber - "The pirate of Johto, here’s The ‘Foxer’ Faber….. MICHI!!!”
11. Buraddo Aipom - Rain Scavio (AKA Rani Viosca) - ""The storm has only just begun - iiiiiit's Rani!"
12. Hyuu - Levi Weiss - "Slateport’s own show stopper, Levi Weiss, here to shine!”
13. gaint whiscash 131367 - Koji Mahoki - "Here comes Koji, The flow of Floaroma, Mahoki!!!"

Now, here's something EXTREMELY important... the tournament brackets, drawn by me, albeit poorly.

Brackets

FEAR MY POORLY DRAWN BRACKETS! *cough* Sorry, I have a cold.

As you can see, there are no names, just numbers. This is because I had no room for names. I know, I know... However, each number corresponds to a trainer.

2: Joshua Colquhoun
3: "Jack Sundance" (Billy)
5: "Kat Starl" (Kidd)
8: Samantha Hill
9: Seth Nightingale
12: Senshi Kokorono
13: Tom Draco
15: Jason *insert last name here*
17: Devon Gale
20: Dreis of the Geltz
21: May Bajie
23: Michi Faber
26: Rani Viosca
27: Vincent Starmie
29: Levi Weiss
32: Koji Mahoki

"But what about the other sixteen?" I hear you ask. Well, they're NPCs for you to make up. This way, everyone makes it through the first round. Remember, your opponents will have at least SOME skill, as they've made it through the preliminaries as well. I'll be keeping an eye out. Matches are played in order from left to right across the bracket. This means that I'm first, and gaint whiscash 1313167's match is last. If anyone doesn't like that, deal with it.

The opening ceremonies of the tournament will begin once everyone has posted at least once, and this will be followed by a ballroom scene. The tournament itself shall take place over a number of days.

The outcome of characterVcharacter matches will be decided by the power of randomness. I shall flip a coin, and PM the users involved with the results. It is possible for any character to lose, even mine. Heads, the trainer on the left of the bracket wins, tails, the trainer on the right. Once you lose, you are not necessarily out of the RP, unless you wish, but you can stay behind, to watch the rest of the tournament etc.

I realise I'm regurgitating a lot of info here, but, I feel I need to.

If you want to suggest any new introductory lines for matches further along in the tournament, do so here.

That's all for now.

Son_of_Shadows, OUT!!

Stabberz

The RPG Godfather
The randomness things gets me, maybe you could get an impartial judge to judge the best writer of the two and let them go on to win, meh I dunno its your RP

Manchee

extra toasty
^Hah, yeah, I was going to say something about the random thing.... it didn't seem entirely fair. Muh, this is your RP so you do what you want xP

Roy G. Biv

roar roar roar roar
That sounds like a cool way to do it. At least, better than the coin-flip factor...

I'm just waiting for the opening ceremonies to start ^.^

Peter Quill

star-lord
I'd just like to officially state that Son_Of_Shadows approved me of being a judge.

Manchee

extra toasty
Moogles4ever said:
I'd just like to officially state that Son_Of_Shadows approved me of being a judge.

Are you talking about the impartial judge that chooses who wins when it's a battle between two RPGers?

And anyway, I'm glad to see the brackets ;) And it's kind of ironic that I'm number twenty-six - I was hoping for a position where I was after a few people, this way I could see how everything works exactly ^^;

I can't wait for the opening ceremonies to start :) I'm actually really excited.

BA~~

Venia Silente

[](int x){return x;}
Congratulations, Moogles4Ever.

Hey Son_of_Shadows I'm really interested about the ball. That's not something that most RPGs would have.

Oh am I mistaken, or the first round (the ones we fight against the made-up NPCs) are the 1v1 battles?

TomDraco

I'm a /tr/ainer.
Wow, 13th bracket, hmm... So we make our own NPCs, that's different.

Also, I was able to make a banner for myself for the RPG. It has a link to the RPG page.

Manaphy Mare

1000 Words
Oh am I mistaken, or the first round (the ones we fight against the made-up NPCs) are the 1v1 battles?

I was thinking/hoping that we could decide the rules for that round. I have a concept in mind for my battle if we can.

Son_of_Shadows

I was thinking it'd be 1v1, but, I'd like to hear your concept, Manaphy Mare. Might use it.

Solovino: Yeah, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Obviously, your characters won't be wearing their normal attire, but it will give them all a chance to interact before the main tournament.

And yes, Moogles4ever is our impartial judge for character v character battles. The result will be based on how he thinks you've written. I'll have to give you credit in the main RP thread...

TomDraco, that banner is fantastic. I might put it in my own sig. Really must see if I can recruit someone to make a banner for my FF now that I think about it...

Last edited:

treespyro

Vintage much?
1 vs 1

So the things properly starts when we have the 16 posted and We had 13, So 3 to go

Manaphy Mare

1000 Words
I was thinking it'd be 1v1, but, I'd like to hear your concept, Manaphy Mare. Might use it.

Solovino: Yeah, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Obviously, your characters won't be wearing their normal attire, but it will give them all a chance to interact before the main tournament.

Well, since my character is (technically) a coordinator, I was thinking of using either a contest style battle or they compete with contest appeals with the higher scoring one moves on to the next round. What do you think?

Son_of_Shadows

Hmm... That doesn't really sound fair to me. The Whirl Cup is a battling tournament. Feel free to employ contest strategies in your battles, but I don't want to make the whole battle about them.

Venia Silente

[](int x){return x;}
+1 for the ball then!

Another practical question:

Given that it is a ball, will we be using more formal clothing or maybe something more traditional of the Whirl Islands? Are you to post a clothing sample or is that aspect left to imagination? Oh, are our Pokémon allowed in?

Son_of_Shadows

I believe I already stated this, I think, but, formal attire. I leave what exactly you wear to your own devices. Mainly because I feel bloody awful at the moment. As for 'mon... Give me some time on that, I'll get back to you.

EDIT: I've made my mind up. They can be present if you want.

Last edited:

Stabberz

The RPG Godfather
Ok, now need to find someone who's willing to let the character have a little romance

I made some banners they have my character and a random female I made.

The_Whirl_Cup11091.png

The_Whirl_Cup1109178175-iaza.png

Last edited: