• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Wii is Dead

Waldorf

ungrateful
The whole grannies-and-party-games is what I meant, though. The Wii itself is no longer the fad it used to be, but it created a different marketing plan for consoles and prompted Sony and Microsoft to hitch their wagon to the motion control star, which, as you said, they would have probably done eventually anyway.

But saying that the Wii is dead is kinda silly. I guess this view is prompted by how the PS3, for example, seems to have only really gotten off the ground a couple years ago (or at least so it seems to me; I don't know any actual figures) and is working under an alleged ten-year plan, while the Wii has practically reached the saturation point. Couple this with the fact that it's no longer the Big Thing it used to be, and how it's seen as a gimmick, and you can see why everyone would be clamoring for something new, despite how the PS3 and 360 feel like they're here to stay.

Last edited:

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
On its last leg, yes. Dead no. We've got Zelda, Kirby, and Pokemon confirmed, the various RPGs/PT's localizations being up in the air, and the eventual Dragon Quest X, which is confirmed to still be on the thing.

Irrelevant is the word we're looking for here. Gamecube died in 2006, but there was a sentiment that it didn't mean much after 2004 (I've heard 2003, but that would be nonsense as the Cube got several of its best games in 04'). Likewise, the Wii has done relatively little of late to generate interest to a good deal of the gaming populace.

Skydra

It's not a dead console until Project Cafe/Stream is released and the console is no longer manufactured. It might be unwanted by some people, but that's not what dead means.

AromaFlora

floofy
Yeah, as much as I want to love the Wii, it's pretty much... close to dead. As many other mentioned in this thread, it's basically on the verge of dying. Perhaps "family" games not being that popular in this century led to this? I'm not sure though because all I here about are those "good graphics shooting games" that most other consoles have (PC if that counts, XBox360, and PS3). The Wii did attempt to grab those "good graphics shooting games" in their realm with GoldenEye and some other games that the other consoles have (I'm pretty sure I saw Call of Duty somewhere), but due to the Wii connection being pretty much "meh" as well as their graphics card compared to the other consoles, it's not that interesting.

I'm sure there are other factors that lead to this, though I'll leave it at that. This is all an opinion and the other consoles could be "dying" too (I don't know).

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
While the Wii is in some ways vastly inferior to the HD systems, I'd hardly call it dead. As long as Nintendo continues to produce many of its famous platforming series such as Mario, Zelda, etc. for their systems, said system will never die. The only thing that will kill the Wii is the "Wii 2".

EDIT: Rank up!

Monster Hunter Tri. 'Nuff said.

Am I the only one to not like that game.

Here's your quest! Kill X monsters and get some herbs as a reward!
-Oh, you did it? Heres some herbs. Ready for your next quest? DO THE SAME DAMN THING AGAIN.

BCVM22

Though it is sad that Nintendo seems to have doomed itself to this release cycle for Zelda.

Despite the fact that you just acknowledged that it's all speculation.

The only reason it came up at all, anywhere, is because IGN thinks anyone gives a damn what they have to say if they're not actually reporting news.

The next console is official for next year. There is nothing, yet, that says Skyward Sword won't be out this year. If Reggie walks onstage at E3 and says "uh, Skyward Sword...? Yeah, not there yet. Next year some time," then you can speculate. Until then, let's not pretend that there's any truth to this yet.

woot21

super noob

The only reason it came up at all, anywhere, is because IGN thinks anyone gives a damn what they have to say if they're not actually reporting news.

The next console is official for next year. There is nothing, yet, that says Skyward Sword won't be out this year. If Reggie walks onstage at E3 and says "uh, Skyward Sword...? Yeah, not there yet. Next year some time," then you can speculate. Until then, let's not pretend that there's any truth to this yet.
Wait, are you implying that people listen to IGN at all? I always got the impression that they talk out of their collective *** even on half of the stuff they "report."

In other news, I've been using my Wii more frequently since this topic was created.

woot21 out dawgs

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Am I the only one to not like that game.

Here's your quest! Kill X monsters and get some herbs as a reward!
-Oh, you did it? Heres some herbs. Ready for your next quest? DO THE SAME DAMN THING AGAIN.

You're not alone. I wasn't fond of it either.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)

Wasn't referring to a potential port. I was referring to Twilight Princess's timing added to the development time a modern Zelda game takes to be finished would inevitably put it in this situation of again being its console's swan song, barring the inevitable international release of Dragon Quest X.

legendarypokemonmaster

Yes, is this news? Nintendo has no 3rd party support for it, and hasn't made any games for a year.

Zibdas

not bad
I love my wii. I use it every day. People look at me wierd, but it's a great console with great games. But it is dying.

legendarypokemonmaster

Maybe retiring would be a better term, although it does feel like it is dying.

Chocoloboo

Justa Pokeman
Obviously putting worldwide sales aside i'd agree that all this console ever had going for it was it's gimmick and flagship titles. The only thing I really like about the Wii is the virtual console which if I really wanted to be up my own *** about I could just download the games for free of the net after a few searches.

Basically my Wii has ended up turning into £150 emulator, oh and not to mention the fiasco I had with black ops killing my disc drive and having to get it repaired >_>

Derp

[Something funny]
Once the new "Wii2" comes it will be dead but right now it looks like its on its death bed.