• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Worst Anime Plot

X-Lucario

King of Losers
Sword Art Online isn't that bad, and as I read through the thread I notice people saying Kirito was a bad protagonist or that his character is garbage. But if you seriously think about it he handled the situation he was in remarkably well. If you didn't know some soilders go crazy after being on a battlefield once, trained and hardened soldiers end crying and whimpering, Its call Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, And after watching a couple of people you know die you wouldn't be so eager to take more people into battle with you. The fact that watching someone die makes you wanna cry is normal its all those other anime that shed blood like its rain that are, so to speak, the crazy ones.

Pizza

Bit-Byte-Bit
From what I've seen, I'd say Beyblade. It makes no sense how plastic spinning tops are able to attain magical animal powers and save the world. The characters also act as if it will cost their life, if they lose a match. The characters clearly are madly obsessed with their toys.

Professor Stan Oak

Not Samuel, Stan.
Sword. Art. On. Line!

The premise alone is awesome, but it's ruined by crappy characters and writing.

I'd rather watch any .hack series over this.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
^The reason why I never understand people watching Haruhi season 1 in chronological order.

I find it hard to understand someone watching Haruhi at all.

Wait... so am I the only one who thought that SAO had a great premise but had absolutely garbage characters and a terribly thought out romance storyline?

There's definitely a huge swath of anime with interesting concepts but which are terribly implemented. Crime Edge, what I know of Mirai Nikki, Attack on Titan, Freezing, Kampfer, Pandora Hearts (which at least has a really good manga), Rozen Maiden Ouverture...

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
From what I've seen, I'd say Beyblade. It makes no sense how plastic spinning tops are able to attain magical animal powers and save the world. The characters also act as if it will cost their life, if they lose a match. The characters clearly are madly obsessed with their toys.

And they never explained where did the magical power comes from.

But at least they have magical powers.

"Let's and Go!" anime series involves small toy cars with no magical power whatsoever, but are somehow able to respond to and perform their owner's orders.
And there's no possible explanation on how did that can happen, because it has been clearly shown that most of the cars in the series have no controller, let alone a mechanical system with AI in it. So it should have been impossible for the cars to be able to "listen" to orders.
There is a chip, but said chip is clearly mentioned as being used only for some kind of ID recognition on a tournament as well as to improve speed. Not for making the cars able to "listen" to orders. And the chip appeared only after lots of episodes into the series and only on one tournament, so it clearly not for explaining the cars' ability to "listen" to orders.

Also, L&G suffers the same problem as various anime meant to promote toys and games : they lack a clear plot, as they focus on promoting, not telling a great story.

Yu-Gi-Oh! manages to put up a decent plot while still promoting cards at the same time, but L&G and the first Beyblade anime series are often filled with "battle of the week" filler.

One Piece.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I will agree with the blockhead and say Gurren Lagann's plot wasn't the greatest. The worst? No way, it knew its plot wasn't that strong! Before deciding you have to draw a line between good bad and bad bad. We need something with bad writing and bad execution.

Beyblade and other toy commercials squeezed into 22 minute doses executed their job well, when we were tykes they were shiny and we wanted that.

Griff4815

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
I'm surprised no one said Digimon Xros Wars Young Hunters yet.
Xros Wars is awesome, but no one will ever know why it ends with a plot-less garbage known as Young Hunters arc.

And yeah, add me to the list of anyone who think SAO's plot is bad.

I'll have to agree with these points. I loved Xros Wars, but Young Hunters was a big let down.

But worse than that is Pokemon. Pokemon has to be the most formulaic show I've ever seen.

Mau-Kun

Gyrozetter, definitely! I mean, kids driving cars and then the one who wants to be a hero is having his "superpowers" served in a silver tray by his driving-school mentors? That's ridiculous, I'm not watching it anymore!

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
Peach Girl....Anything that's related to Shojo or magical girls. I'm sorry but neither one of those really tries to stir the pot with something. It feels like every magical girl anime is based on Sailor Moon and I didn't even like the plot to that anime. There are some unique ones in there but I guess the genera wasn't for me.

FLCL was weird. Not bad by any means I love that anime, but it was just weird how they did it.

I know for a fact my friend would say Cowboy Bebop but I think she need a slap to the head.

Megahound

Banned
Pokemon, from the Hoenn episodes because the same thing which happened before was happening again and again. Fighting gym leaders, getting badges, journeying. Nothing new happened.

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
Pokemon, from the Hoenn episodes because the same thing which happened before was happening again and again. Fighting gym leaders, getting badges, journeying. Nothing new happened.

>implying anything extraordinary happened in pokémon in any season

Ampy

Light The Stars
One Piece is nowhere near the worst plot-wise, it's not phenomenal in the slightest but it isn't bad. Seriously, if you're gonna mention a long running shonen with an awful plot Bleach should be your first pick.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
SAO strictly plot-wise wasn't so bad, at least in the very first arc. It's characters and execution that ruined it.

My pick? It's certainly not the worst thing ever conceived but it's the worst thing I've seen in recent memory... Valvrave. Not one aspect of it wasn't a hot mess.

flyer1228

Novice Shiny Hunter
I was looking for it, but I can't find it. It's an anime about these ships called the Fog come and apparently attack the human civilization. It's pretty much a harem and not much plot in it in my opinion. As for SAO, I really liked the anime. It was cute and the concept was intriguing. It's probably because I like the "All powerful" type of characters, nonetheless they are overdoing it with the subplots (the fairy game and etc).