• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Worst of the Abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inchtall

Back in Black....2
Do I have to explain this a fourth time? As long as you are in a double battle with a Pokemon that can learn Skill Swap and another Pokemon that has a "bad" ability, use Skill Swap on the Pokemon that has the ability, then Skill swap again with the opponent! This can devastate enemies such as Reshiram, zekrom, Bisharp, or any Pokemon with a good ability. So, no ability is bad if you can use it right! Does no one read my posts?

Mr. E Goods

Gone for good
Defeatist has now become a major pain after the E4 when every pokemon trainer after the E4 has lv 65 pokemon and when the E4 has pokemon like 20lv higher. Archeops can no longer kill in one hit, nor goes first every time which means defeatist is always in play. It has gone to the by far strongest member (OHK everything) on my team to the weakest.

Inchtall

Back in Black....2
I hate deafisit

Just for you, I will do one more match-up. After this, none of you should complain. Capeesh?

Alakazam and Archeops
VS.
Gallade and Blastoise

Alakazam used Skill Swap on Archeops. Archeops used Aerial Ace on Gallade. Blastoise used crunch on Alakazam, but it missed. Gallade used Psycho Cut on Archeops. Alakazam used Skill Swap on Gallade. Archeops used Aerial Ace on Gallade. Because of it's new ability, Defeatist, Gallade has had it's attack lowered by half. I do NOT want to explain something like this again.

Armando Payne

The ability that disables your moves. That's the most overbalanced ability.

Vernikova

Champion
Just for you, I will do one more match-up. After this, none of you should complain. Capeesh?

Alakazam and Archeops
VS.
Gallade and Blastoise

Alakazam used Skill Swap on Archeops. Archeops used Aerial Ace on Gallade. Blastoise used crunch on Alakazam, but it missed. Gallade used Psycho Cut on Archeops. Alakazam used Skill Swap on Gallade. Archeops used Aerial Ace on Gallade. Because of it's new ability, Defeatist, Gallade has had it's attack lowered by half. I do NOT want to explain something like this again.

That is so situational that it isn't even funny. The fact that it has so few situations that it can actually be helpful in is proof enough that it's a bad ability.

Pseudo-Unlegendary

I be an Exotic One
Deafetist is a balance ability. Archeops has 110 Speed and 140 attack!

The problem is you'll most likely use only one of those stats and Game Freak still feels as though they have to balance him out. Archeops doesn't have the moveset for mix even though it has the stats for it. That is our main complaint.

shady56

Blazing With Heart

Alakazam and Archeops
VS.
Gallade and Blastoise

i never thought about it like that
now i think about it there isn't really a ability that is all that bad it just depends on how you use them like how you showed it

Zibdas

not bad
I've always disliked the starters' abilities. I've never had to use them. Be it that I'm just that great of a trainer, or I run to the PokeCenter too much, but hey.

A.O.D.X WISE X KID

IM THE MOST WISE
I feel Moody is suckish when used against you a certain someone (xbinox) has a shiny Smeargle that knows spore and substitue. moody works every turn so... you get my drift?

Charaligatr

The Secret Rascal

Alakazam and Archeops
VS.
Gallade and Blastoise

What if Crunch doesn't miss? What if Blastoise decides to attack Archeops instead with Waterfall? What if Gallade uses Night Slash on Alakazam? What if one of the enemy pokemon is carying a choice scarf, allowing them to get the first hit in, KOing Archeops before it can have the ability swapped?

There's an awful lot of things that your scenario doesn't take into account, and as Rebecca R. said, it's one situation where it comes in useful, and it takes a while to set up. There are plently others where it doesn't.

In my view, Illuminate is fairly rubbish. Yes, it increases the wild encounter rate. which can be useful, but that's it. No in-battle effect. This dislike for it may stem from catching quite a few Staryu's that had decent stas and natures, but with it Illuminate as the ability. Natural Cure is much better.

Flame Mistress

I've always disliked the starters' abilities. I've never had to use them. Be it that I'm just that great of a trainer, or I run to the PokeCenter too much, but hey.

Blaze came in handy in my Champion Battle once. Infernape's Blaze activated, only pokemon left with Cynthia still with two pokemon (Thank God they were Lucario and something else) and Infernape swept through them. But I guess I got a bit lucky.

Mister_SGG

I suppose Defeatist was quite a pain for me on my original White save, because I forgot to save before receiving my Archen and got a Brave one, so Archeops was a lot slower and had poor Defense, plus Defeatist. Imagine that.

Alakazam and Archeops
VS.
Gallade and Blastoise

That is so insanely haxy and situational that it's sad. Also, that doesn't make the ability any better, it just gives you a way around it. And you're still wasting a turn to use Skill Swap. In a fast-paced double battle, you can't afford to do that. You'd be better off pulling a strategy with Mummy.

Personally, I find that Defeatist, Truant, and Slow Start are the worst, as they are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that actually hinder the user.

Jaggy101

I'm Jaggy and proud

I hate them too, i never really use the moves that aren't even the same type as my starter when it gets like that.

CloudVII

Push It To The Limit

Alakazam and Archeops
VS.
Gallade and Blastoise

You're getting defensive about other peoples' opinions. We think it's a bad ability. YOU DON'T HAVE TO. In my opinion, it's terrible. But on the other hand, I'm not going to add Skill Swap to someone on my team to make it better. Archeops has great speed and attack that it's supposed to get it's hits off hard before the opponent, so the ability isn't that much of a hindrence.

Zachmac

Defeatist, Truant, and Slow Start. Everyone knows those are the worst abilities.
They are good, seeing as they are meant for balance purposes.
The problem is you'll most likely use only one of those stats and Game Freak still feels as though they have to balance him out. Archeops doesn't have the moveset for mix even though it has the stats for it. That is our main complaint.
I never said anything about special attack. I was taking about speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.