• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Worst Part of Your Day?

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Been told to do more hours. I would be fine if they gave me additional responsibilities but no it's just 6 more hours washing dishes.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Been told to do more hours. I would be fine if they gave me additional responsibilities but no it's just 6 more hours washing dishes.
I used to do that in the beginning of my job as a housekeeper (I helped out at the kitchen to try out different positions in the hotel.) It became stressful when we needed more plates during rush hour (breakfast) yet we didn't (and still don't) have enough plates to accommodate the whole hotel. Sure washing dishes isn't particularly hard but it's mentally aggravating (especially when you deal with the head chef who doesn't seem to understand how quickly and time consuming a pile of plates can stack up!) Try a different position (and it can be outside or inside the kitchen. You just gotta find your niche. Don't try housekeeping... too much drama!!!) I know you think office jobs seem more cushy, you can aim for it and try it out!! Your boss should assign you more hours if he/she thinks you should work more, it ain't your job to assign yourself more hours! If you're comfortable doing this, you can request for them to give you additional responsibilities or at least give you something else to do than just washing dishes.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I used to do that in the beginning of my job as a housekeeper (I helped out at the kitchen to try out different positions in the hotel.) It became stressful when we needed more plates during rush hour (breakfast) yet we didn't (and still don't) have enough plates to accommodate the whole hotel. Sure washing dishes isn't particularly hard but it's mentally aggravating (especially when you deal with the head chef who doesn't seem to understand how quickly and time consuming a pile of plates can stack up!) Try a different position (and it can be outside or inside the kitchen. You just gotta find your niche. Don't try housekeeping... too much drama!!!) I know you think office jobs seem more cushy, you can aim for it and try it out!! Your boss should assign you more hours if he/she thinks you should work more, it ain't your job to assign yourself more hours! If you're comfortable doing this, you can request for them to give you additional responsibilities or at least give you something else to do than just washing dishes.

It's really weird. Yesterday I was told to make some chips.

Hooray responsibilities!

...except that there were three Kitchen Porters on (my role) and about 8 chefs including a prep chef - and they still made the KPs (me and another guy) do prep work and food run despite there being more than enough chefs leaving the new guy by himself on sink which inevitably meant stuff started to stack, not to mention servers in general don't stack properly making it a hazard that needs sorting...

Yeah we didn't get out until 2:30 am. I'm amazed we didn't get shouted at for being late out.

Got 40+ hours next week but honestly just done. Office work seems far less stressful.

satopi

It's really weird. Yesterday I was told to make some chips.

Hooray responsibilities!

...except that there were three Kitchen Porters on (my role) and about 8 chefs including a prep chef - and they still made the KPs (me and another guy) do prep work and food run despite there being more than enough chefs leaving the new guy by himself on sink which inevitably meant stuff started to stack, not to mention servers in general don't stack properly making it a hazard that needs sorting...

Yeah we didn't get out until 2:30 am. I'm amazed we didn't get shouted at for being late out.

Got 40+ hours next week but honestly just done. Office work seems far less stressful.
I think you're just in a bad kitchen with terrible management. That's insane that you guys stayed out til 2:30 a.m. That's way too late!! :eek: If you wanna try office work, check out the mailroom and be a sorter there (something even I've been thinking of as a part time job) and I heard data entry is pretty good. Definitely look elsewhere if your job's stressing you out like this. There's better work out there and you'll find it and get it!! A different is always good going into because then you'll know what suits you, what things you don't like, and what you don't mind doing.

Those roles are so screwed, that stuff is supposed to happen when you're understaffed! (something my job is facing)

satopi

(Sorry for the double post)

Feeling depressed again. You already know why. I have to tell myself to not let anyone get to me and take this opportunity that's only going to affect me. Only you can make yourself feel strong. I can do this.... I can't do this... this is my chance to help myself. You know what's best for you satopi. I'm seriously hoping I thank myself tremendously after what's happening now. :(

Last edited:

EnglishALT

UGH in an 8 hour day I had one class, meaning for 7 hours I was sitting around in the teacher's office.

satopi

UGH in an 8 hour day I had one class, meaning for 7 hours I was sitting around in the teacher's office.
It sounds like you either really hate your job or completely bored with it. You can always make up ideas in the spare time or think up on lessons. I hope to see you post on the Best Part of Your Day thread... ^^;

EnglishALT

It sounds like you either really hate your job or completely bored with it. You can always make up ideas in the spare time or think up on lessons. I hope to see you post on the Best Part of Your Day thread... ^^;

Sorry I really do love my job! It’s just getting to crunch time over here before the Christmas break

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Today, I was explaining on twitter how chromosomes by themselves don't determine biological sex, but the TL;DR of my message was that none of it determines gender. I was being careful to make sure I was not sounding anti-trans, but rather pro-trans. Then, some random commentator said that it was actually a process and not genes, and that I'm behind in biology. First off, genes will guide chemical processes. Also, I said that I didn't mind being corrected, but I didn't like to be put down over it. I feel sort of upset over my behalf, but I didn't want to necessarily cause this kind of scene on a trans woman's profile. I minimized the tone of my response, but damn it, I don't like being attacked like that. No one does.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Being a full grown adult and still lacking the self-restraint not to eat an entire advent calendar in one sitting.

EnglishALT

You know that rule "Don't open the door for strangers?" that goes double for Japan. For years I have avoided the dreaded NHK collector, but this time I thought he was just some poor guy who was at the wrong apartment. Now I am out 25 bucks.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Was having a normal day until a song on the radio came on and pretty much described the relationship with my sister right now. I haven't thought about my sister in a while, but just that song reminded me of how much she hurt my family and friends and I got really emotional. I never get emotional over things like that. Part of me just wants to cut off ties with her since she's one of the most selfish people I know, but there's a part of me that knows that I can't give up on her, no matter how much she hurts me. I told my mother this and how upset I was and then my mother got upset with me because she just wants us to get along, no matter how many times my sister tries to deceive our family. It's just...really frustrating to deal with. Especially with upcoming exams.

satopi

Currently at the airport waiting for my plane to come. I finally am in the mood to go to sleep but I can't. Only 1 hour left of waiting... I'm feeling like I'm about to throw up merely because I had to withstand the shuttle driver's foul stench for over 30 minutes. I had this bright idea to sleep at work. Bad move. I couldn't sleep the whole time. It was absolutely torturous. Right now, I feel so lonely. I envy people on my same flight who has someone with them whether It's family or not. I know no one to where I'm going and no one's gonna greet me with a hug if I fly there or back home. :( I have no home there, I have to establish my own. I hope I can survive this. I know I can do it but I'm not feeling too good now.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Today was a nightmare shift. Chefs sending out raw food and then recooking (a big no-no) instead of making a fresh one. Servers leaving food on side so it gets cold. Found the rats around the bins again despite being told it had been sorted...

So why is this in best part? Because unlike the rest of the team tonight, the other kitchen porters and I BOSSED the dishpit, cleaning up everyone's mistakes and still staying on top of it. Got praise from everybody and felt really good.

Still looking elsewhere but hot damn I was the man tonight.

I posted this yesterday in Best part. This was not the case today.

All the dishes came down on us like a hailstorm and we got very little help from the rest of the house, getting out at 2:20 am.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Having a very bad fight with my dad. Seems like this happens at least once a week.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I think I have a swollen tendon in my finger that result in a 'trigger finger' like effect. Hoping two days off work will fix it but if not I'll book a doctors appointment.

roule

take it all or leave it... I Feel You
Yesterday was the first anniversary of my friend's death. I was anticipating that I was going to feel bad, but it still hurt a lot. Even though it's been a year, when I see stuff relating to her and the way she went, I get upset. I'm still mourning, in a way.

All I did after school was cry my eyes out and play Rocket League.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Got my contract after asking for it 2 weeks ago. Would have been good...had the contract been decent. My company is exploiting as many loopholes as possible. The only benefit I can find is that I currently have a 1 week notice period as opposed to 2 weeks.

That said, hoping to use that notice when I ring up a company that seemed interested in me for a potential admin job.

EDIT: Not double posting but f*** it, I had to let off some steam about how lazy the chefs were today.

'Clean up the prep room in addition to the dishes. '
'Clean the walk in fridge as well as prep and dishes'.

Walk into main kitchen - three chefs stood around on phones, not helping out. They do a lot of work elsewhere but it really annoyed me how they found time to stand around instead of lending a hand where needed.

Final straw was being told to clean something out (which they're supposed to drain). Looked at it and thought, 'no chance'. Their problem tomorrow and I don't care if I get shouted at, f***ing awful shift.

Last edited: