• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Worst Thing about your Favourite Generation, and the Best Thing about your Least Favourite

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Worst Thing About My Favorite Gen (Gen II)

THEN: The freakin' legendary dogs wouldn't sit still. Catching them was a pain in the ass.
NOW: I have to walk EVERYWHERE.

Best Thing About My Least Favorite Gen (Gen VII)

THEN: Lusamine. What a dope villain, arguably the best in the series.
NOW: Freakin' Blacephalon. I love that thing.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Worst thing about Gen 5: Sprites can sometimes be a bit grainy, some Pokémon only evolve at very high levels.

Best thing about Gen 1: Pokémon Stadium allowing to see your Pokémon battle in 3D I guess.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
The best things about Generation 7: the Pokemon never learn new moves while in the Nursery, the addition of Hyper Training, the NPCs use non-standard Poke Balls.
The worst things about Generation 3: no physical/special split, many types lack strong attacks (such as Close Combat, Brave Bird, X-Scissor, Iron Head, Stone Edge), flawed breeding mechanics, no Power Items (meaning even more tedious EV training), the Lucky Egg is next to impossible to obtain.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Worst part of Gen I: Dreadful graphics, followed by glitches that could delete the save file.
Best part of Gen VII: Ultra Space's concept.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
Worst part of gen 5: the world tournament in BW 2.

I would be really interested to hear why you think this was a bad thing!

So, my thoughts:

Worst part of Gen 5: I’d say how late a lot of Unovan Pokémon evolve. Unova has a fairly low endgame level in comparison to some other games so it means you won’t have access to all the things you want to in BW, like Hydreigon and Volcarona, without major grinding. BW2 took steps to improve this which I appreciate.

Best part of Gen 6: I think the EXP Share. It totally negates grinding from the game.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I would be really interested to hear why you think this was a bad thing!

So, my thoughts

Worst part of Gen 5: I’d say how late a lot of Unovan Pokémon evolve. Unova has a fairly low endgame level in comparison to some other games so it means you won’t have access to all the things you want to in BW, like Hydreigon and Volcarona, without major grinding. BW2 took steps to improve this which I appreciate.

Best part of Gen 6: I think the EXP Share. It totally negates grinding from the game.
I felt that they made it too difficult; I'm not really a fan of competitive battling either

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Worst thing on Generation III is that they still haven't made the special-physical split

Moonlight.

My favourite: Gen 4
The worst thing about this is that the Sinnoh Dex was rather weak in DP. Some key types (e.g. Fire) had poor choice and many of the newly introduced evolutions weren't available until the post game. Luckily this was remedied in Platinum.

My least favourite: Gen 7
I quite like the overall presentation of these games. Graphics are nice and small QOL features such as assigning balls to a button press go a long way.

Last edited:

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Worst thing about favorite: 3rd gen, easily the Sky Pillar. At least they fixed it in the remakes so you didn't have to worry about going through the floor.

Best thing about my least favorite: 6th gen (X and Y), Wonder Trades and hordes

Gizmoduck

Burns eternally hot
Worst thing about my favorite Gen 6: The obnoxious handholding. Generally just way too easy.
The best thing about my least Gen 7: Hmm..... very tough one. Literally all I have is a lot of unique typings introduced; which I always like.

SageofTruth

Greninja Assassin
Worst part of Gen V: Samurott being hot garbage competitively. Such a cool design.

Best thing about Gen 3: The journey to Rayquaza. I remember walking from school and then hopping on the bus after discovering the temple and then biking my way to the top. It was sooooooo good for 13 year old me.

Orphalesion

Worst part of Gen VII: You don;t get to battle all the trial captains. The small number of new Pokemon. Alolan Diglett/Dugtrio and Alolan Grimer/Muk. No difficulty setting.
Best Part of Gen I: It started it all.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Worst part of Gen V: Samurott being hot garbage competitively. Such a cool design.

Best thing about Gen 3: The journey to Rayquaza. I remember walking from school and then hopping on the bus after discovering the temple and then biking my way to the top. It was sooooooo good for 13 year old me.

Funny how you like what I hate about gen 3, LOL. :)

byconcept

Worst part of Gen VII - This is actually hard because I reaaally love this gen but I guess it has to be the low number of new Pokemon

Sorry to break the rules but I don't have a least favorite gen. It pretty much goes Gen 7 > Gen 6 > everything else

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Worst part of Gen V - Zorua being locked to an event for BW 1, not to mention it requires the legendary dogs..... which you can't get until after you beat the game! Making Zorua one of the many Pokemon that are only available late game. Another thing I don't like about my favorite gen, how many Pokemon were locked away in the final 3/4 of the game!
Worst part of Gen VII - Meltan and Melmetal being locked behind GO, and how the actual new Pokemon have 5% chance of appearing! I'm playing the new games to use the new Pokemon, the old Pokemon should be 5% chance.... not the other way around!

They're both my favorite gens. Really enjoy both BW 1/2 and Ultra SM equally

Best part of Gen 1 - No version exclusive legendary Pokemon!

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
My least favorite thing about gen 4.
WAY too many Hms.
My favorite thing about gen 1
It started all of this. Pokemon wouldn't be here without it.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
My favorite Gen is of course, Gen V. Yeah, big shocker. Now, I'll do this if everyone's willing to be mature about it (that includes Mods and Admins). There's a reason I held off on talking about this for so long. Alright, here goes:

My least favorite thing about Gen V was Ghetsis. Make no mistake, I don't by ANY means think he's a bad JRPG villain. I just think he was miscast in a game that he really shouldn't have been in. If anything, he should have been in Gen III or Gen VI. He would have fit in a lot better in one of those two.

Here's why having him in Gen V was a bad move. In Gen V, you have a plotline about the ethics of Pokémon Training and Battling. Admittedly, the evil Team of the game is made up of a bunch of hypocrites that are willing to use their own Pokémon to battle for them, even though their ideals suggest they're against this. But putting that aside, the concept of a villainous group that legitimately thinks they're doing the right thing, makes them a much more interesting faction. It gives them a reason for their actions and makes them more than a simple strawman group that you just have to defeat to move forward.

Then in comes Ghetsis and says, 'Nope. I was just manipulating them all along to get a Legendary Pokémon to take over the world.'. No motivation. No ideals. Nothing interesting. And this happens at the last second in the game too. Now understand that I have nothing against a villain that has the simple motivation of wanting to take over the world. But in a game where they were addressing the subject of the ethics of Pokémon Battling and Training, it just feels so out of place.

And I will say that it's pretty obvious that editing came in and made the decision to use him as a way to give the plot a tawdry resolution (I can even tell exactly where editing came in on this). They never really address the original subject matter, outside of some self-righteous preaching by some of the characters that's pretty asinine if you think about it for more than two seconds. It is the one blemish on what would have otherwise been the best storyline we ever got in a Pokémon game.

Make no mistake. This is still one of the best games in the series. I mean come on. This is the game that literally has a trash Pokémon! That alone makes it amazing! I was finally able to have a Pokémon that I could name The Trashman!

My least favorite Gen is probably Gen VI, though I don't really consider any game in the series particularly terrible, and I really don't have a long list of things that made me hate it. On the contrary, it's just a point in time where I lost interest in the franchise for awhile.

Last edited:
Worst thing about Gen 5: Anthea and Concordia should’ve had much more time. The fact that they only say a couple of things and that’s it is really quite annoying as their characters have infinite potential yet I always forget they exist.

Best thing about Gen 1: glitch culture