• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Worst Thing You've Ever Written?

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
Basically what it says on the tin. I don't think there's been a thread like this in a while and it's to do with writing and fanfics so please forgive me if this thread breaks any rules.

We've all had them at one point or another either as kids, adults or even both (I'm in the both category). I'd love to read about your experiences and if your creations ever came back to haunt you like a lot of mine did.

I'll start with possibly the worst fanfic that has ever found its way onto the internet, curtsy of yours truly.

This particular labour of love started while I was in my second year of high school. I was 13 at the time (and I believe I browsed this forum as E-102 Gamma way back then), and was under the impression that officially being a teen meant basically the same as being an adult. So naturally I thought my skills as a writer were good enough to do emotional, well-thought fanfiction that would blow everybody who gazed upon it away with how amazing it would be.

Now as it so happened I was a huge fan (and still am) of the Cartoon Network show Ed, Edd n Eddy, and as you'd expect, I got the bright idea to write a story using the characters from this cartoon. I felt really proud of myself for mapping out what I was going to do - it was going to be an epic tale about the cast going up against ancient deities who viewed the human race as nothing but slaves. But I felt that something was missing - a crucial element that would bring everything together in one glorious moment. And then it hit me:

One of the characters needed a love interest.

I didn't need to think twice about who I was going to pick. If you don't know about EEnE, one of the titular characters, Edd (nicknamed "Double-D" in the show), was supposed to be the brains of the three boys. He was a shy, soft-spoken nerd who loved books and I had the biggest crush you can imagine on him. So this love interest ended up being a fan character who was basically myself - only with magical, plot breaking powers because I was one of the gods who was totally different from the others and wanted to be human so that she could live like them for no particular reason.

But wait - it gets worse. Instead of, you know, making up my own plot that would require time and effort, I decided that most of the chapters would be episodes from the show, only with my totally original character in them. The whole thing was an awful disaster from start to finish. My fan character would go through each episode with almost every single character liking her for no reason until she had to help her friends get out of trouble with her powers - most of which were never ever seen again. So eventually I get to the chapter where my fan character confesses to Double-D that she isn't a human and that she loves him and his reaction was basically: "Oh, you're actually a creature from space. Nah, that doesn't interest me. Let's make out instead!" and the rest of the chapter was just them kissing and things.

By that point I'd forgotten that I had a plot to finish and so I wrapped it up within about two chapters so that I could end the story with more of my fan character/Double-D pairing.

But you wanna know what the real kicker was?

People actually liked this train wreck of a fanfic. Yes, you heard me right: people genuinely thought that it was a well-written story! So much so that it spawned a ton of fanart and two sequels and the less said about those stories, the better.

As of yet, my first ever fanfiction.

It actually wasn't too bad as first fanfics go - it was a Pokemon B2W2 fic exploring the concept of "what if Rosa shared the same memories as Hilda?". The execution could've been a lot better, but it had decent grammar and the plot wasn't too bad. It definitely wasn't worth releasing it out on fanfiction.net though. I might rewrite the plot one day since the concept still interests me... and I wouldn't be writing it at 11pm at night.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Worst thing I've ever written? They've never made it past the production stage that I'm well aware of, or at least I've never published them anywhere, and they died with the old computers/laptops. But if I had to pick something, it'd be when I did song-fic one-shots when I was first starting out back in 2006. So much cringe. Worst part was I wrote quite a lot, and many of them never did see the light of day anyway.

Then there was that one time I was writing a one-shot or something and stayed up until four in the morning for the first time to finish it (or something), but LOL the fruits of my labor went to waste on that computer at the end because I couldn't make up my mind whether-or-not I wanted to post it anywhere. I don't even remember what I wrote, I just know it was Mewtwo/Mew-related.

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
My virgin work.

It was a journey fic set in Johto, about a girl from New Bark Town set to travel around the region as a pokemon trainer for the goal of searching for a legendary pokemon she had met once during her childhood. The idea sounds fine on paper, but as I progress in the planning, there were more and more Mary-Sueish tropes being implanted, and it extended further into other regions. So right before I halt this project permanently, this story was planned to have sequels going to 10 different regions (including travel to alternative universe), protagonist was in fact died once when she encounter the legendary pokemon during her childhood and resurrected by the same pokemon, possessed special power due to that experience, aimed by the villains because of such legendary-pokemon-like power, gaining assistance from many other legendary pokemons. And like many journey fic, she challenges gyms along her way.
Oh, this is not the worst part yet. What there is more on top of this monstrous Mary-Sue fic? I shipped her with a pokemon! Oh WOW!!! (@_@) Even I wanted to shout out cynically in retrospect.

But the good thing is, I never published it out to the public. So only I know this past shame of my writing history.
......Ah, not really. Now everyone reading this post know it already.

Don't ask me further question on this topic. I deny to answer any further questions.

Ledian_X

Don Ledianni
Ages ago I wrote a story where this guy was fused with a vaporeon and had to go look for new Pokemon. He was part of a group of people who were also genetically modified to be part pokemon. It was kind of bad considering I left spelling mistakes in. I deleted it off of fanfiction.net. It was just bad in terms of grammar. Plus the guy in the story seemed more X-Men related that Pokemon as people feared and hated him. Never returned to that character again. It was just awful!

Kaija

So when I first started writing fanfiction, I didn't believe in planning things. At all. Needless to say the resultant fanfiction was meandering, bizarre, and I just ended up giving up when I wrote myself into a corner.

I got a lot of constructive criticism on that one. It was helpful, but frankly I'm surprised people thought there was anything there to save >.>

Ages ago I wrote a story where this guy was fused with a vaporeon and had to go look for new Pokemon. He was part of a group of people who were also genetically modified to be part pokemon. It was kind of bad considering I left spelling mistakes in. I deleted it off of fanfiction.net. It was just bad in terms of grammar. Plus the guy in the story seemed more X-Men related that Pokemon as people feared and hated him. Never returned to that character again. It was just awful!

I... Think I remember reading this one? Was there someone who was part Lucario, and they had to escape a government facility or something? Or am I thinking of a completely different fanfiction?

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
So I've been writing fanfic for 15 years. That leaves a loooooooot of badfic to choose from.

But man, I am actually having a really hard time choosing the worst, you know? All of my early fic was really bland and boring with characters that had no personality and no real plot to speak of. I kind wish I'd written outrageous nonsense like that absolutely amazing-sounding EEnE fic Samayouru described. xD

I mean...the worst fic concept I ever came up with was probably this stupid thing:

But most of the actual fic content with TriLugia wasn't anything spectacularly terrible. No, I think the fic that takes the cake is the time that I posted BOOK 5 of LC on Serebii without having written any of the books leading up to it. It was a plotless journey fic for the first two books, and reviewers on the Pojo forum had been quick to point out that it really had no substance at all. What to do, I wondered. I know! I'll just skip ahead to all the good stuff! Book 5 involved some amnesia shenanigans to force all the characters to start their journey over again in a new made-up region since all the canon regions got destroyed by TriLugia in book 4. It was the perfect place to start the fic on Serebii!

Nedlessly to say, readers were confused. Also I gave all the characters their old teams back as early as Chapter 2 so what was even the point. ALSO I started a random tournament arc in Chapter 3 and immediately got bored and quit. Then I went off to post the prequel to LC, a dark and edgy Princess Mononoke rip-off wherin an army of Dark Pokemon declares war on humans and the Light Pokemon try to maintain peace. Half the characters were wolves for no good reason. I got bored and quit by Chapter 4 this time. Then I got the revolutionary idea to make the beginning of my fic less boring and thus LC actually got a plot that kept my attention for longer than three chapters.

~Chibi~;249;;448;

Omegagoldfish

My will be done
Hmm. I drafted a story for about a year before realizing it was utter trash and scrapped it. Sadly, I used some characters from it in some RP's here.

They were edgelords and shallow, and I regret making them.