• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Wrath Of Kangaskhan (Mixed Tier RMT)

Hopkinc1

Music = Life
Hello people of Serebii! After quite a long hiatus from pokemon (about 6 weeks), I'm back with another RMT. This one is going to be a Mixed Tier team that is made for WiFi; I've used this team on SHowdown to test the sets for some pokemon, but as a Mixed Tier set the team uses some OU Pokemon and some pokemon not necessarily viable in plain OU (which is what most people use). I also felt like Tier shift would not represent the team well due to it boosting Pokemons stats up to make them Viable. For this reason, this team is strictly WiFi battles. Anyway, without Further adieu, I give you:

smudgeorder1_zpse16aa81c.png

Thanks to weogebonenick for
the awesome picture!

hgssitem.png
Introduction: What is Mixed Tier and Why Mixed Tier?
hgssitem.png

Okay, I am 100% sure that you all know what mixed tier is, but I'm still going to go through it. Mixed tier is the use of Pokemon in every single tier. Now a lot of people say they have a mixed tier team when they have a lot of OU pokes and one or two UU Pokemon....That isn't real Mixed Tier. Real Mixed tier is using a few OU and UU pokemon, but also throwing in some RU and NU Pokemon, even maybe a few NFE Pokemon.

So now comes the real question: Why would I make a Mixed Tier team? To me, standard OU is really, really boring. There are over 600 Pokemon in the game, and most people would only use 51 of them. Yeah, there are 51 Pokemon in OU (or something like that) and Every OU team is made up of these 51 Pokemon with an odd UU or maybe even RU Pokemon every now and again. In addition, 90% of the teams I fight have one or more of these on their team:

hgssitem.png
Scizor
hgssitem.png

hgssitem.png
Ferrothorn
hgssitem.png

hgssitem.png
Forretress
hgssitem.png

hgssitem.png
Weather Inducer
hgssitem.png

hgssitem.png
Salamence/Dragonite/Garchomp
hgssitem.png

hgssitem.png
Keldeo
hgssitem.png

hgssitem.png
Terrakion
hgssitem.png

Yeah, these pokemon get the job done for sure....but where is the fun in battling the same 51 Pokemon over and over again? Sure I can go to UU and RU but I don't seem to find any success in those tiers either, so I decided to make a mixed tier team, using whatever the hell I wanted and interesting sets for the Pokemon, and I've had very positive results with it. In addition, this allows me to come up with some sets for Pokemon that may not seem viable, but when used in conjunction with other Pokemon, become very key players in the game. Mixed Tier essentially takes OU and makes it a bit more of an even playing field for lesser used threats. So, Let's move onto the first looks at this Pokemon Team!

hgssitem.png
The First Look at the Team
hgssitem.png
031nidoqueen.gif
115kangaskhan.gif
251celebi.gif
485heatran.gif
442spiritomb.gif
195quagsire.gif

hgssitem.png
Team Building Process
hgssitem.png
115kangaskhan.gif

I wanted to build this team around what I think is the most Underrated Pokemon in the Metagame today: Kangaskhan. The Pokemon on this team were chosen because of their ability to support him, and what they can bring to the table for him.

031nidoqueen.gif
442spiritomb.gif

In order for Kangaskhan to sweep teams, I needed Stealth Rocks up as well as other hazards (potentially), and I needed a Spinblocker. I decided to go with Nidoqueen and Spiritomb. Nidoqueen's only role on this team is to weaken physical walls to the point where Kangaskhan can take them out. Spiritomb is a spin blocker along with stallbreaker and physical attacker.

251celebi.gif
195quagsire.gif

Now I needed my two walls. Here I decided to go with Celebi and Quagsire. These two Pokemon make a pretty good team as walls. Quagsire can take a hit from pretty much anything Barring a grass type, and Celebi happens to be resistent to grass types. Quagsire is more of a standard Stall Pokemon/Wall while Celebi is a wall, but also takes on the role of a Cleric.

485heatran.gif

Finally I wanted a special attacker that could also take a hit, and Heatran was my answer to that. Although this is a special attacking Variant, Heatran has great Synergy with Celebi and Quagsire; between all of them, they have at least one resistance to every type of pokemon in the game, which is very useful in most situations.​

hgssitem.png
The Team:
hgssitem.png
031nidoqueen.gif
blacksludge.png
031nidoqueen.gif

Bag_Poison_Gem_Sprite.png
PoisonIC_Big.png
/
GroundIC_Big.png
Bag_Ground_Gem_Sprite.png

Trait: Poison Point
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
hgssitem.png
Toxic Spikes
hgssitem.png
Stealth Rock
hgssitem.png
Super Fang
hgssitem.png
Roar
icon.gif
So the first thing you might notice about this set for Nidoqueen is the Lack of Sheer Force. Why would I not use Sheer Force instead of Poison Point? Well look at the set. I don't have Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, or Flamethrower. I have Super Fang. Super Fang allows me take any pokemon (barring a ghost type) and cut their health in half instantly. It is a great move! And if I get hit with a physical move then I have a chance to poison my attacker. This set for Nidoqueen isn't made to kill anything, it is made to weaken Pokemon that Kangaskhan can't take out himself. This mostly means physical walls, like Forretress, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn. Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes are his entry hazards, and Roar is to shuffle his team through the hazards.

115kangaskhan.gif
lifeorb.png
115kangaskhan.gif

Bag_Normal_Gem_Sprite.png
NormalIC_Big.png
Bag_Normal_Gem_Sprite.png

Trait: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
hgssitem.png
Return
hgssitem.png
Drain Punch
hgssitem.png
Earthquake
hgssitem.png
Sucker Punch
icon.gif
This is one of my favorite Pokemon in the game. Kangaskhan is a powerhouse. and nothing, NOTHING is safe from him. It is nice using an barely-used NU Pokemon because not many people would remember about his absolutely amazing ability: Scrappy. Scrappy allows Kangaskhan to hit Pokemon like Jellicent, Dusknoir, and Spiritomb with his STABS and with Ghost type moves. He is essentially an anti-Spirtomb and anti-Sableye with this ability! Drain Punch and Earthquake are both coverage moves, while Sucker Punch allows him to get the jump on Gengar or other attackers who want to kill him. I would readily argue with anyone that Kangaskhan is the most underrated Pokemon in the current metagame.

251celebi.gif
leftovers.png
251celebi.gif

Bag_Psychic_Gem_Sprite.png
PsychicIC_Big.png
/
GrassIC_Big.png
Bag_Grass_Gem_Sprite.png

Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 220 SDef / 252 HP / 36 Spd
Calm Nature
hgssitem.png
Giga Drain
hgssitem.png
Recover
hgssitem.png
Thunder Wave
hgssitem.png
Heal Bell
icon.gif
This Celebi is made to be a Cleric. His Moveset may not be as good as Blisseys when it comes to being a Cleric, but it has the same ability, and I would argue that his well rounded stats make Celebi a better Cleric than Blissey. With his ability Natural Cure, Celebi can switch into status that is aimed at any other Pokemon (other than Will-O-Wisp, Heatran would switch into those.) His moveset is that of a cleric and a Pokemon that is made to live for quite a while. Giga Drain + Recover is to stay alive, while Thunder Wave is to slow anything faster than Kangaskhan down. Finally, Heal Bell gets rid of any status' that make their way to any of my other Pokemon. Like Nidoqueen, he is purely support, but Celebi is very effective at it.

485heatran.gif
airballoon.png
485heatran.gif

Bag_Fire_Gem_Sprite.png
FireIC_Big.png
/
SteelIC_Big.png
Bag_Steel_Gem_Sprite.png

Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 128 HP / 180 SAtk / 200 Spd
IV's: 30 Atk / 30 Def
Modest Nature
hgssitem.png
Fire Blast
hgssitem.png
Earth Power
hgssitem.png
Hidden Power Ice
hgssitem.png
Flame Charge
icon.gif
Okay admittedly, it is a little hypocritical for me to complain about people using the same 51 Pokemon, only to have the most used Pokemon in the DPP OU metagame. However, Heatran plays an important role on my team. Heatran is my special attacker. Although this is a very standard set, he plays an important role on my team. On part of making part of a defensive core (between him, Quagsire, and Celebi, I have a resistance to all types of Pokemon), he also takes burns that are meant to be given to Kangaskhan, as well as Sweep in case Kangaskhan is killed. I switch in on a fire move and get the Flash Fire boost, and then on the switch I use a Flame Charge. Then I'm poised to sweep with Heatran, and with his Air Balloon, not much can stop him. Heatran is a force to be reckoned with.

442spiritomb.gif
leftovers.png
442spiritomb.gif

Bag_Ghost_Gem_Sprite.png
GhostIC_Big.png
/
DarkIC_Big.png
Bag_Dark_Gem_Sprite.png

Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Atk / 56 SDef / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
hgssitem.png
Foul Play
hgssitem.png
Curse
hgssitem.png
Pain Split
hgssitem.png
Sucker Punch
icon.gif
Spiritomb is a phenomenal Pokemon. With 3 immunities (including psychic and fighting) and with not many other people using a Pokemon with the ability Scrappy, Spiritomb is meant to switch into a fighting type attack that is meant for Kangaskhan. This set has foul play, turning attack boosts into liabilities against Pokemon such as Terrakion, Salamence, Dragonite, and any other physical attacker. Sucker Punch is to kill any pokemon that is weak and would attack Spiritomb. Curse is to stall break or threaten a Pokemon out, and Pain Split would be used on the switch in order to get his health back. I currently have pressure on this set, but does anyone think Infiltrator would be better? Let me know what you think!

195quagsire.gif
leftovers.png
195quagsire.gif

Bag_Water_Gem_Sprite.png
WaterIC_Big.png
/
GroundIC_Big.png
Bag_Ground_Gem_Sprite.png

Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
hgssitem.png
Waterfall
hgssitem.png
Toxic
hgssitem.png
Recover
hgssitem.png
Stockpile
icon.gif
Quagsire is one amazing Pokemon. His typing gives him only one weakness - Which Celebi resists - and his ability, Unaware, makes sure that any swords dance used to boost does nothing for the pokemon attacking him. Once you hit him and don't do diddlysquat to him, he can do one of many things as you switch out. He can (a) Recover off the damage, (b) Stockpile, raising his defense even more, (c) toxic on the switch, or (d) attack. Quagsire is a great physical wall to compliment Kangaskhan, Celebi, and every other pokemon on the team, and he is a defensive threat that should not be taken lightly.

hgssitem.png
Conclusion
hgssitem.png

This is my Mixed Tier team, and the team that I mostly battle with these days. I am open to almost all suggestions but keep in mind that this team is Mixed Tier, so if you want to suggest a team change, please don't ONLY suggest OU Pokemon. Suggest some UU, RU, even some NU. Also keep in mind that I build this team around Kangaskhan, so I won't switch him out. I am more than willing to try different sets for Kangaskhan, but I'm not willing to switch him out. Hope you all like the team, and enjoy!

Last edited:

Hayate Ayasaki

I know you don't want to hear this but your using two OU pokemon and those 2 make your team OU you cant battle against a UU team and nobody would agree to that so its very difficult to rate your team without considering it to be an OU team if you get me? it would be like playing OU with a Kyogre and an Arceus and claiming "mixed tier" :L but don't get me wrong your idea is more than admirable Kangaskhan is underrated but I think you should drop drain punch for hammer arm and return for double-edge with the power creep kangaskhan is not going to last long enough Incl/ life orb damage and hazards to warrant not running a more of a hit and run set, that being said some wish support and/or a rapid spinner would be nice, it also looks like you have no answer to a +2 Thundurus-T I say this because hes most commonly seen on rain teams and heatrans not going to have a good time

Hopkinc1

Music = Life
I know you don't want to hear this but your using two OU pokemon and those 2 make your team OU you cant battle against a UU team and nobody would agree to that so its very difficult to rate your team without considering it to be an OU team if you get me? it would be like playing OU with a Kyogre and an Arceus and claiming "mixed tier" :L but don't get me wrong your idea is more than admirable Kangaskhan is underrated but I think you should drop drain punch for hammer arm and return for double-edge with the power creep kangaskhan is not going to last long enough Incl/ life orb damage and hazards to warrant not running a more of a hit and run set, that being said some wish support and/or a rapid spinner would be nice, it also looks like you have no answer to a +2 Thundurus-T I say this because hes most commonly seen on rain teams and heatrans not going to have a good time

I get what you're saying about it technically being OU but if I put OU in the name AT ALL people will start saying "Why are you using outclassed pokemon" and stuff like that even if I also say it's mixed tier. Also most people know if you specify you're using mixed tier then it's OU and under. But Trust me I do understand what you are saying that technically it is an OU team.

Now the other stuff. I haven't really had to face the genies yet....but they aren't much of a problem. Heatrans sp. att is high enough wehre Hidden Power Ice takes them out. Maybe in place of One of Quagsires moves I could put Stone Edge but I'm not sure if that's too viable......

Now Kangaskhan using Hammer Arm....I have run that before on an NU Trick Room Team, but otherwise I do not like the speed drop. Any other sets you can think of? Maybe a subpunch set with Double Edge? Something like:

Kangaskhan @ Leftovers
EV's : 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
Jolly Nature
Substitute
Focus Punch
Double Edge
Sucker Punch / Earthquake

The set I have right now has actually worked fine when I haven't played incredibly Recklessly with it. Kangaskhan is more of a late game sweeper when everything is weakened. I had Jirachi in Celebi's Place for Wish, but I decided against using it when I found out that Jirachi doesn't get Heal Bell and Status' run amok in any tier..... I might try to run Alomamola in Quagsires Place, would you agree with that?

Last edited:

Quagsireking

I am the king!
Now Kangaskhan using Hammer Arm....I have run that before on an NU Trick Room Team, but otherwise I do not like the speed drop. Any other sets you can think of? Maybe a subpunch set with Double Edge? Something like:

Kangaskhan @ Leftovers
EV's : 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
Jolly Nature
Substitute
Focus Punch
Double Edge
Sucker Punch / Earthquake

The set I have right now has actually worked fine when I haven't played incredibly Recklessly with it. Kangaskhan is more of a late game sweeper when everything is weakened. I had Jirachi in Celebi's Place for Wish, but I decided against using it when I found out that Jirachi doesn't get Heal Bell and Status' run amok in any tier..... I might try to run Alomamola in Quagsires Place, would you agree with that?

I'd suggest keeping drain punch. My reasoning for this is that life orb will be taking your HP with every hit, so drain punch would help to get back some of that lost HP. Plus it is a good viable recovery method, even though Khan isn't the most defensive poke out there. But if you were going to replace it with another fighting move, go brick break. That way any screen s set up by your opponent won't stand in your way and hinder you khan.

Hayate Ayasaki

well I lke bringing up pokemon from lower tiers and playing in OU I swept a rain team with an arbok before :p the reason I suggested hammer arm over drain punch was because in comparison to the speed of pokemon in OU and all the mach punchers and scizor kangaskhan isnt fast enough to sweep outright but its bulky enough to survive at least 1 hit so when it does its best to do as much damage as possible and a nuetral un-STAB'd drain punch isnt going to do nearl enough damage to fill up his hp and what I meant by hit and run was switch in on something like a tyranitar or ferrothorn e.t.c. try the hammer harm and most likely they're going to switch into a breloom or something and then you switch back out again or you'll die to mach punch, keep quagsire unaware is awesome and the genies always run hp ice so you never have to fear a hp grass your only problem there is against tentacruel or toxicroak. If you wanna run a sub punch set use this spread 162Hp | 252Atk | 96Spd so your faster than 252 jolly breloom

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
^hammer arm would force Kangaskhan to use a Bulky set, which wouldn't do so well as it is still KOed or 2HKOed by most threats.

I would say that the main threats to this team are walls like Blissey and Skarmory and Bulky attackers, since many of your pokemon lack the power to muscle through them. Nidoqueen does do a good job against most walls, but since Spiritomb doesn't seem like it would work very well, I'm going to suggest this instead-

Frosslass @focus sash
Timid nature
Cursed body
~ Spikes
~ Taunt
~ Ice Beam
~ Destiny Bond
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

With a fast taunt, Frosslass shuts down most walls and hazard setters, and can set up hazards of it's own. Ice beam beats dragons, and finally Destiny bond can be used to take down the other pokemon with you at low health.

Secondly, Quagsire can be removed too since you already have a defensive pokemon in Nidoqueen, and since quagsire's main purpose is to wall set up sweepers, Frosslass can be used for a similar purpose too by taking them down with it using Destiny bond. So instead of Quagsire you could use-

Rotom-W
Leftovers
Modest nature
~ Volt Switch
~ Hydro Pump
~ Will-O-Wisp
~ Pain Split / Hidden Power Ice
232 HP / 56 SpA / 220 Spe

Rotom-W is a great anti-meta pokemon, taking out many of the top threats in OU. Volt switch hits hard and can help scout and provide offensive momentum. Hydro pump is secondary STAB. Will-o-wisp shuts down physical attackers and finally Pain split can be used to restore health.

Hope this helps!

Hopkinc1

Music = Life
I'll definitely try Frosslass. I'm not too sure about rotom, never had any success with him. I'll try it but no guarantees he's staying.