• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Xbox Thread

floatzel98

→ s o a r i n g
I was talking about them talking about microsoft taking the microsoft point system away. Not them taking points away from people. I hope they would do something similar to how it is on the PSN though.

Night_Walker

It's only a rumor for now.
Indeed.

More broadly I'm getting sick of all the rumours flying around right now with very little in the way of concrete facts; ie we'll be back to a two console war (seriously, you're gonna say someone who'll benefit from that is a reasonable source to report said rumour?), NextBox won't allow second hand games (which is a rumour I give NO credence at all - that would loose so many customers at a stroke).
Seems the Wii-U and upcoming E3 have really whipped a huge deal of impatience to see what Microsoft and Sony will do in response when I think we'd all agree there's nothing much wrong with the Xbox 360 or PS3. Hope things calm down before I'm tempted to put my fist through the screen at the reporting of a particularly stupid rumour.

redcharzard

Semi-competitive
More broadly I'm getting sick of all the rumours flying around right now with very little in the way of concrete facts; ie we'll be back to a two console war (seriously, you're gonna say someone who'll benefit from that is a reasonable source to report said rumour?), NextBox won't allow second hand games (which is a rumour I give NO credence at all - that would loose so many customers at a stroke).
Seems the Wii-U and upcoming E3 have really whipped a huge deal of impatience to see what Microsoft and Sony will do in response when I think we'd all agree there's nothing much wrong with the Xbox 360 or PS3. Hope things calm down before I'm tempted to put my fist through the screen at the reporting of a particularly stupid rumour.

Common sense well said as for what Microsoft and sony well do in response to the Wii U, hopefully nothing more then a massive software overhaul. Then again their probably bring out either a new gimmicky peice of hardware or a new system (hopefully not.)

As for removing the point system I don't think that would go over well with their customer and for those of you who don't know $20 worth of ms points can buy a $20 dollor game on the market place (I did this with tekken 6 when my disk broke) so the cash to point exchange is equal most of the time (with the exception of overpriced games.)

Krick88

Been addicted to Xbox since around 2006. My best friend brought me to a gaming tournament where they were playing Halo 2. Even though I sucked, I was entranced. I put hundreds of hours into playing Halo 2 over the next year getting into competetive (MLG) gaming. When Halo 3 came out, I spent the majority of my time with Gamebattles forming new teams, looking for free agents, or becoming one myself. My best friend and I even made a great streak on the doubles ladder one season.

One of my brothers is all about PS3, but I prefer the Xbox more just because of the Halo series. Haven't picked up the Anniversary game yet cause I'm so busy with University life, but I hope to do so soon.

Night_Walker

Common sense well said as for what Microsoft and sony well do in response to the Wii U, hopefully nothing more then a massive software overhaul. Then again their probably bring out either a new gimmicky peice of hardware or a new system (hopefully not.)
Thank you.

Logically I'd think they'd both try to find out about the Wii U's capabilities before trying to respond - it doesn't make sense to rush a new console into production because another company has beaten you to the punch before you know what it's capable of.
So long as good games are made that aren't reliant on Kinect (or the successor to Kinect) I'll be happy.

Night Shadow

BRRAAP BRRAAP
Logically I'd think they'd both try to find out about the Wii U's capabilities before trying to respond - it doesn't make sense to rush a new console into production because another company has beaten you to the punch before you know what it's capable of.

The PS3 and Xbox 360 have been out for 6-7 years already. It's actually about time we get a new console.

Night_Walker

The PS3 and Xbox 360 have been out for 6-7 years already. It's actually about time we get a new console.
Well considering that Sony said the PS3 was about half way through its life-cycle just last year it's clear that the Wii U will probably force at least Sony to move up their time table a bit. I still say though that it's more likely they'll wait til they know more about what they're competing with.

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
Well its not like the Wii U (which hopefully we will have a new name for soon) is that ahead of the Xbox 360 and PS3.

The most important upgrade the Wii U will receive is VRAM and RAM which will be 512 MB at the very least or higher. Then the Cpu which will just be 1 or 2 gens better than PS360. Other than that the Wii U only has its controller going for it for now until more is announced.

Lol if the WiiU is released that early, it's going to get completely blown away by the next gen PS and xbox. Then again the Wii was kind of a huge disappointment in and of itself.

Night_Walker

Lol if the WiiU is released that early, it's going to get completely blown away by the next gen PS and xbox. Then again the Wii was kind of a huge disappointment in and of itself.
Doubt it - Nintendo's stolen the march on Microsoft and Sony. Quite clear people are now clamouring for the next generation consoles so to avoid being left behind they'll have to get into their 8th generation as well.
Mightn't have been the most popular with gamers but it has won the 7th generation of the console war.

Night Shadow

BRRAAP BRRAAP

The Wii was great. It just had too many cash in games plus shitty support from 3rd party developers. That set a side, the Wii brought many things to the table for Nintendo fans, like the VC. Anyways, Nintendo's console life cycle is always 5 years. So that means, Nintendo will have at least one year, maybe two, to dominate the gaming market for a while. Then of course the new 360's and PS4's will come into play...

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
Doubt it - Nintendo's stolen the march on Microsoft and Sony. Quite clear people are now clamouring for the next generation consoles so to avoid being left behind they'll have to get into their 8th generation as well.
Mightn't have been the most popular with gamers but it has won the 7th generation of the console war.

You would have to do a worldwide statistics poll to show if people want the 8th gen or not.

Also it won the 7th gen in terms of hardware. Software it won with Dance Dance or something but other than that, its game library didn't do too well. Sure some sold millions but Sony and Microsoft sold 10s of millions of software.

Nintendo hasn't really won either as they had to gain back all the lost ground from N64 to GC days but they are managing. They are mostly profiting from their handheld dominance which is growing a bit weaker thanks to smart-phones.

Last edited:

Night_Walker

Also it won the 7th gen in terms of hardware. Software it won with Dance Dance or something but other than that, its game library didn't do too well. Sure some sold millions but Sony and Microsoft sold 10s of millions of software.

Nintendo hasn't really won either as they had to gain back all the lost ground from N64 to GC days but they are managing. They are mostly profiting from their handheld dominance which is growing a bit weaker thanks to smart-phones.

Crimson,

They sold the most units of their 7th gen console, that means they won - not gonna argue for a moment that the other consoles haven't got better libraries (that's why I've got an Xbox 360 now) but that's a seperate debate. You don't subtract how much they lost by in 5th and 6th gens from their figures, each gen starts with everyone on 0.

Last edited:

The times, they are a' changin', sport.

Well considering that Sony said the PS3 was about half way through its life-cycle just last year it's clear that the Wii U will probably force at least Sony to move up their time table a bit. I still say though that it's more likely they'll wait til they know more about what they're competing with.

That was a clear bluff by Sony to not outright say "Oh yeah, we only released the Move because the Wii sold like hotcakes and now Microsoft has [at that time] Natal." Same with Microsoft and Kinect. They were both there to emulate the success of the Wii. I am still firmly in belief that there is no connection between the Move/Kinect and the respective console lifespans.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't hear you over the fact that the 360 and PS3 are blown away by current-gen PCs. I'm not sure if you noticed, but PCs are capable of so much. I could argue that the consoles in general are bogging down PCs and thus the entire industry.

The Wii was great. It just had too many cash in games plus shitty support from 3rd party developers. That set a side, the Wii brought many things to the table for Nintendo fans, like the VC. Anyways, Nintendo's console life cycle is always 5 years. So that means, Nintendo will have at least one year, maybe two, to dominate the gaming market for a while. Then of course the new 360's and PS4's will come into play...

Like I said before, the times are a' changin'. Just because Nintendo's always done things this way doesn't mean it will always stay that way no ifs ands or buts. Nintendo's always released Pokemon generations 3 years apart in the U.S. Until generation 4. Oh no, something changed. Call the press.

Console lifespans are at an impasse right now, because they need to adjust their longevity accordingly and they refuse to do so. In a way, their business model is becoming arbitrary. Nintendo's not exempt from this, they'll have to change or they threaten isolating themselves.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was a matter of winning and losing. I thought all that mattered was garnering a profit from your company's product. The Wii sold well enough for Nintendo to make a net gain on it (Even despite Nintendo perhaps having an overall loss this fiscal year) and well enough for them to continue making games. "Winning" is arbitrary. Maybe you don't understand that this is a business, and they need to gain money off their products.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
So do any of you xbox owners play fighting games? I haven't seen any threads dedicated to any and they don't seem to be too popular around here. I ask because I have SSFIV (sometimes play Tekken 6) and it would be nice if there were people here who played it on-line!

DocGoblin

Nah I don't like fighters all that much.

fhqwhgads

DocGoblin

I was talking about them talking about microsoft taking the microsoft point system away. Not them taking points away from people. I hope they would do something similar to how it is on the PSN though.

Store millions of debit/credit card details and then lose them to hackers?