• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Young Flame of Alola! The Birth of Royal Ash!! (1024)

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
At least this time Torracat learns a Fighting-type move, Revenge. Bourgain's gang's attempts to cheat was utterly disgusting and I was satisfied all of their Pokémon were knocked out and at that's what they deserve for trying to cheat. It was also nice to see Torracat and Incineroar strengthen their bond during their bout.
I think that's what we call "heel" in the world of wrestling, and heels are known to fight dirty in order to win.

I feel bad for Pangoro though, it didn't do anything and got KOed. Gotta love Incineroar's reactions when it and Kukui wanted to disguise and show themselves in the ring in a hurry. Team rocket are doing the announcing job in this episode. I see the classmates are very passionate about wrestling, and nice new move for Ash's Torracat. Good episode.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Anyway it would be disgusting in the first place because it would be part of their goal to cheat. But what I meant as Bourgain's gain was the Revengers. To be honest, I just don't like Bourgain because of his use of filthy tactics to allow him to accomplish his selfish goals.
Isn't that what bad guys are supposed to do though? I honestly have liked Bourgain playing the 'typical bad-guy of the day' who are used as plot devices to develop characters compared to the Trio. Because so far what I've seen Bourgain's antagonistic acts and dirty tricks at least has some solid 'bad guy' substance, compared to the cheap and lame tricks regularly used by the Trio.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I was amused seeing how pumped up Satoshi's friends were when they witnessed the wrestling, and Satoshi was lots of fun as well. Nyaheat learning a new attack wasn't my expectation, although I was pleased with the result.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Torracat being active in the action after always seeing it napping was really fun to see. Goes to show it can battle just as Rowlet showed us in the past. Really loved seeing Royal Satoshi (or Ash). I wondered if he kept his shirt and hat on his seat. I loved seeing Pikachu jump up with joy when the battle finished and how pumped up everyone was. I'd totally love to see Royal Lana!

A good thing that evil hotel guy made a reappearance putting in more dirt on how crappy he is. His Pokemon may be fully evolved but they could be all bark and no bite, like super weak despite having an intimidating appearance.

Kukui panicking and acting suspiciously were so humorous to watch. I had to rewind the scene where he was dashing into the stadium and saw that he hit a pole instead of bumped into Incineroar. Also Burnet calling out Kukui and Ash playing along was cute. :p

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
This was a fun episode. I liked the deeper insight into Torracat's character, namely its sense of justice. Even though it had no qualms about tricking and stealing from Ash back when it was a Litten, it couldn't bear to stand by and watch while Incineroar's opponents used dirty tactics. A part of me thinks that might be character development due to Ash's influence, but it could also stem from Torracat's willingness to help its fellow Pokémon (which it has always had).

Isn't that what bad guys are supposed to do though? I honestly have liked Bourgain playing the 'typical bad-guy of the day' who are used as plot devices to develop characters compared to the Trio. Because so far what I've seen Bourgain's antagonistic acts and dirty tricks at least has some solid 'bad guy' substance, compared to the cheap and lame tricks regularly used by the Trio.
It may be what a stereotypical bad guy is supposed to do, but that has nothing to do with whether or not the audience likes the character. Bourgain is a despicable character—from using harassment in an attempt to blackmail a family into selling their farm to him, to condoning wrestlers who use dirty tactics against their opponents, there isn't much about him to like. At least the writers aren't trying to redeem him, the way they have done with some other antagonistic characters (including Team Rocket).

STICKTOPIA

I'm glad it wasn't another fire type that torracat learned and I'm also glad it didn't evolve. Torracat really did well in this episode and I like the teamwork it did with incineroar. Despite how the other guys were playing dirty, Torracat and Incineroar pulled through. That scene with the professor sneaking away was funny as well. I wonder when they all will find out or IF they will.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Huh, I didn’t expect Lillie of all people to get firey-eyed by the end of the episode. I’ll wait for the subs to see what she said, but it seems like they’re subtly pushing her drive & motivation to be a strong trainer a little more

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
It may be what a stereotypical bad guy is supposed to do, but that has nothing to do with whether or not the audience likes the character. Bourgain is a despicable character—from using harassment in an attempt to blackmail a family into selling their farm to him, to condoning wrestlers who use dirty tactics against their opponents, there isn't much about him to like. At least the writers aren't trying to redeem him, the way they have done with some other antagonistic characters (including Team Rocket).
Yeah...sorry for disagreeing with you here. Bourgain is supposed to be the bad guy...so those dirty acts suit him perfectly. An important thing in judging a character is from the angle of what role he plays, whether he suits well the role he's playing or well. Different characters play different roles in a show, and for a character to be well-written or well-suited, he/she needs to suit his role really well.

Similarly, Bourgain is supposed to be the bad guy, he's is supposed/assigned to play the role of a 'typical bad guy of the day' who are used plot devices to develop main characters. Since he's supposed to be the bad guy, disliking him because of evil and dirty acts doesn't make much sense IMO, because he's playing his role quite well. Like I said before, an important aspect in judging a character is whether he/she's playing the role well he/she's supposed to play, and Bourgain is doing that quite well if you look at it. The dirty and antagonistic tricks he uses are quite befitting of a typical bad guy. Seeing from that perspective, I think that Bourgain playing the 'typical bad guy of the day' role looks quite more interesting compared to the Trio doing it, because Bourgain's antagonistic and dirty acts have more 'bad guy' substance in it, which is typical of a bad guy, better than the cheap and lame tricks the Trio regularly pull off.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Yeah...sorry for disagreeing with you here. Bourgain is supposed to be the bad guy...so those dirty acts suit him perfectly. An important thing in judging a character is from the angle of what role he plays, whether he suits well the role he's playing or well. Different characters play different roles in a show, and for a character to be well-written or well-suited, he/she needs to suit his role really well.

Similarly, Bourgain is supposed to be the bad guy, he's is supposed/assigned to play the role of a 'typical bad guy of the day' who are used plot devices to develop main characters. Since he's supposed to be the bad guy, disliking him because of evil and dirty acts doesn't make much sense IMO, because he's playing his role quite well. Like I said before, an important aspect in judging a character is whether he/she's playing the role well he/she's supposed to play, and Bourgain is doing that quite well if you look at it. The dirty and antagonistic tricks he uses are quite befitting of a typical bad guy. Seeing from that perspective, I think that Bourgain playing the 'typical bad guy of the day' role looks quite more interesting compared to the Trio doing it, because Bourgain's antagonistic and dirty acts have more 'bad guy' substance in it, which is typical of a bad guy, better than the cheap and lame tricks the Trio regularly pull off.
Yes, Bourgain is supposed to be the bad guy, and yes, using dirty tactics and cheap tricks suits his character. I'm well aware that different characters play different roles in a show, and that a character needs to suit his/her role well in order to be a well-written character.

However, how well a character fits his/her role in the story, or how well-written a character is, has nothing to do with whether the audience likes or dislikes the character. I think Team Rocket play their role as comic relief villains very well. That doesn't make me like them. On the contrary, I absolutely detest them. Ash arguably plays his role as the hero protagonist very well, but there are fans who either don't like or don't care for him.

Similarly, the fact that Bourgain fits the role of the scheming, underhanded businessman to a T is irrelevant when it comes to whether or not the audience likes him. Yes, he fits his role perfectly. Does it make me like him as a character? No. If anything, it makes him even more detestable, and that might very well be the writers' goal. He is not meant to be likeable. He has no redeeming qualities. So no, it's not silly to dislike a character for playing his/her role.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I think that's what we call "heel" in the world of wrestling, and heels are known to fight dirty in order to win.
Even though ironically Incineroar is classified as the Heel Pokémon.

p96822

Evolve me please
You know that this is the third time that Revenge has been used in the series and this is the second time it was used by a Second stage Starter aka Burgundy's Dewott.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
my only problem is them not explaining how the heck bourgain got out of jail

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
my only problem is them not explaining how the heck bourgain got out of jail
Filthy stinking rich, so he likely got bailed out

What's especially egregious is that nobody does anything about contestants blatantly cheating to the point it's their literal defining feature

I'm also hoping that Kukui and Masked Royal meet st some point

It's disappointing that Kukui had to catch it on television instead of being there himself

:p

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Yay, my prediction was correct! Torracat learned Revenge!

I find it super appropriate that Torracat learned a move that's about taking a hit and dealing double damage back at the opponent, as that's essentially what Incineroar does as well, but it's also super weird since Lycanroc just learned Counter, a move with an extremely similar concept. Well, those two have shown to have a nice friendship, so I guess it makes sense that they would learn similar moves, but their movesets are distinct enough that I'll let it slide.

...Wait, so does that mean Ash can get that Fightinum Z now? (Wait, can you use All-Out Pummeling with Counter?)

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
This is the most fun I've had with an episode in a while and I don't even watch wrestling. I guess I got a little into it but it was way to fun not to do. I do not regret my decisions. Anway, Litten learning revenge was fun. Interesting that Litten has a fighting type move now. It kind of opens the door to Ash getting the Fightinium Z at some point. I'm a bit curious as to how they'd use all out pummeling with Torracat though? Will the move have paws instead of fists and feet now? XD That'd be fun to see.

8 / 10 would watch again for the fun factor.

ShadowForce720

Well I just saw the English subbed version of this episode and besides it being implied that Ash and Masked Royal will have another battle against each other in the future which I think most people probably already figured they would have another battle, it's interesting to note that towards the end of the episode that Lillie said that she would participate in the Battle Royal too, and when Lana saw that Ash had become Royal Ash she said that she would become Royal Lana, so we might get an Battle Royal episode down the line where both Lana and Lillie participate in the Battle Royal which would be interesting.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Yay, my prediction was correct! Torracat learned Revenge!

I find it super appropriate that Torracat learned a move that's about taking a hit and dealing double damage back at the opponent, as that's essentially what Incineroar does as well, but it's also super weird since Lycanroc just learned Counter, a move with an extremely similar concept. Well, those two have shown to have a nice friendship, so I guess it makes sense that they would learn similar moves, but their movesets are distinct enough that I'll let it slide.

...Wait, so does that mean Ash can get that Fightinum Z now? (Wait, can you use All-Out Pummeling with Counter?)
Yes, you can use All-Out Pummeling with Counter.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I'm not a fan of Bourgain. I'm hoping they don't use him as a constant foil to Ash and the classmates.
Can the Team Skull trio please come back? Let them be the villains of the day more often, they're criminally underused! Not to mention tons more interesting than Bourgain.

This is the most fun I've had with an episode in a while and I don't even watch wrestling. I guess I got a little into it but it was way to fun not to do. I do not regret my decisions. Anway, Litten learning revenge was fun. Interesting that Litten has a fighting type move now. It kind of opens the door to Ash getting the Fightinium Z at some point. I'm a bit curious as to how they'd use all out pummeling with Torracat though? Will the move have paws instead of fists and feet now? XD That'd be fun to see.

8 / 10 would watch again for the fun factor.

Well it's not that hard to picture when there is nothing keeping him a Torracat forever. Hell given how long this type of stuff takes if the TRio are anything to go by, I wouldn't be surprised if Ash did have an Incineroar by the time he got Fightnium. I'm curious how they'll go about giving it to him though, the Fightnium I mean.