• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Young Flame of Alola! The Birth of Royal Ash!! (1024)

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Everyone getting excited about the Battle Royals, especially Lillie and Lana. I like that. I hope this will be the next push to motivate Lillie to go to Hala and get her own Z-Ring. Now I want to see a Battle Royal match between Ash, Lana, Kiawe, and Lillie. Once Lillie can use Z-Moves they would all have their own Z-Move, it'd be great.

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
...Wait, so does that mean Ash can get that Fightinum Z now? (Wait, can you use All-Out Pummeling with Counter?)

This is the most fun I've had with an episode in a while and I don't even watch wrestling. I guess I got a little into it but it was way to fun not to do. I do not regret my decisions. Anway, Litten learning revenge was fun. Interesting that Litten has a fighting type move now. It kind of opens the door to Ash getting the Fightinium Z at some point. I'm a bit curious as to how they'd use all out pummeling with Torracat though? Will the move have paws instead of fists and feet now? XD That'd be fun to see.

8 / 10 would watch again for the fun factor.

I don't think Ash will suddenly get a Fightinum Z now for two reasons:

1. While Torracat can stand on it's hind legs for a period I think trying to animate two biped Pokemon using All-Out Pummeling is to much of a hassle for the animators
2.We still have other Z-crystal and moves that haven't appeared yet and I think they'll priorities giving Ash those over ones that have not yet appear at least ones he can use

ShadowForce720

Ash doesn't even need to get Incineroar-Z because Masked Royal has already shown it off

Just because Masked Royal has already shown off the Incineroar-Z, doesn't mean that it's somehow going to prevent Ash from getting it, otherwise going by that logic it should have meant that Ash wouldn't have gotten the Rockium-Z because it was already shown off by Gladion, I mean let's face it doesn't really matter if Masked Royal has shown off Incineroar-Z as that really doesn't prevent Ash from getting it especially considering it seems like were rarely going to see Masked Royal's Incineroar, plus it would make some sense if how Ash gets his Incinium-Z is by beating Masked Royal and his Incineroar and then as a reward for beating him he gives Ash the Incinium-Z.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
It's nice to get an episode that had Kukui's double-role factor in, even though it was just a bit in the first act with a repeat at the end. And man, Abe Goldfarb must've loved this episode a lot. He was the best part of the episode by far.

Are all Alolan sports just willfully ignorant of rules? First the baseball episode, now this.

That promised final battle is likely going to be saved for the end of the SM saga.

The most brilliant music bit was that deceptively calm and whimsical music over the Feint Attack scene suddenly getting cut off by the Pikachu vs Surskit music from XY once the attack lands. Never thought I'd see such a great justification of erratic editing. Mr. Goldfarb's music will always beat Miyazaki's wretched miserable noise. Always.

This was a better sports episode than the last such case, I gotta say.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Why does he keep it a secret from his own wife? She has to know, right?

It learned Revenge to fight against the Revengers!

Omg double KO by Torracat, Incineroar didn't even have to help! I was surprised when Pangoro came at the end, it was kind of like, how much more do they have up their sleeves and will this ever end. That's how I felt

I was surprised that a tag team battle apparently works differently from a tag battle and they tag in and out instead of battling at the same time. I guess it makes sense since they called it "tag team battle" and not just "tag battle" but the phrases are so similar that it's confusing. It also makes the title of XY90 "Tag Team Battle Inspiration!" invalid since in that episode it was a regular tag battle and not a tag team battle.

This was the third SM episode with YOUNG in its title, and while the first two were Kiawe-focus episodes, and this one wasn't, it still had some connection to the last YOUNG episode since Viren appeared in both. The adjective young was describing different things in all 3 episodes.

Also was that Magmortar using faint attack when he was on his tippy toes? So strange lmfao.

Yes it was, and Torracat was an idiot for licking its paw instead of paying attention to the battle, and falling for that. Pathetic.

TBH I'd now say that Bourgain would be a better option for the writers to play the 'typical bad guy of the day' rather than the Trio, a.k.a., being used as a plot device to develop characters.

I don't want him to appear too frequently because so far to me, one of the reasons he's effective as a character is because of how infrequently he appears. Therefore, it's a significant impact each time he appears. It feels like a big deal when he appears. If he appears a lot, it will seem like not a big deal when he appears.

I feel bad for Pangoro though, it didn't do anything and got KOed.

so random lmao

Huh, I didn’t expect Lillie of all people to get firey-eyed by the end of the episode. I’ll wait for the subs to see what she said, but it seems like they’re subtly pushing her drive & motivation to be a strong trainer a little more

yeah back-to-back episodes now

What's especially egregious is that nobody does anything about contestants blatantly cheating to the point it's their literal defining feature

it's part of wrestling though -- I'm sure it was expected by the crowd. It adds to the entertainment

Are all Alolan sports just willfully ignorant of rules? First the baseball episode, now this.

this is a big part of wrestling though. I would be surprised if everybody expected no broken rules in a wrestling arena

Vipsoccermaster

Great episode. Torracat learning Revenge was nice. How did Viren escape from Officer Jenny's clutches? He's not going to get what he wants, give it up already! He's a big cheater, trying to have his Revengers interfere with others and give themselves an advantage. The motivation that Lana and Lillie get from watching the match is funny, but it would be awesome if they pit themselves in the ring with Ash and Kiawe (and maybe Masked Royal), but we'll have to see. Oh, the other Alolan starters were here showing their own Z-Moves, but they really need a proper showing next time. This episode was not the one to fulfill that criteria. Them showing it off here is fine, but they need a true episode to fully show the full potential capabilities that both Decidueye and Primarina have. So far, only Incineroar has completed it.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Great episode. Torracat learning Revenge was nice. How did Viren escape from Officer Jenny's clutches? He's not going to get what he wants, give it up already! He's a big cheater, trying to have his Revengers interfere with others and give themselves an advantage. The motivation that Lana and Lillie get from watching the match is funny, but it would be awesome if they pit themselves in the ring with Ash and Kiawe (and maybe Masked Royal), but we'll have to see. Oh, the other Alolan starters were here showing their own Z-Moves, but they really need a proper showing next time. This episode was not the one to fulfill that criteria. Them showing it off here is fine, but they need a true episode to fully show the full potential capabilities that both Decidueye and Primarina have. So far, only Incineroar has completed it.
Yeah I'm really confused at how the starter final evolutions have debuted this gen. They're making them seem like not even a big deal.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
This episode was enjoyable enough. It was battle-based, and had a coherent plot. That's all I ask for. Oh, Team Rocket doesn't hurt either.

But come on, what gives with the management of the Battle Royal Dome? I feel like someone shouted "That's cheating!" at least once every couple of minutes. Why does this competition even have rules if no one's going to enforce them? Once or twice is one thing, but this just got to absurd levels. And if these guys are known for cheating, why are they even allowed to fight in the first place?

Oh yeah, and Magmortor using Feint Attack was the best part of this episode.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
But come on, what gives with the management of the Battle Royal Dome? I feel like someone shouted "That's cheating!" at least once every couple of minutes. Why does this competition even have rules if no one's going to enforce them? Once or twice is one thing, but this just got to absurd levels. And if these guys are known for cheating, why are they even allowed to fight in the first place?
Classic wrestling, my dude

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Classic wrestling, my dude

So, you're trying to tell me that in wrestling, people will blatantly cheat 10 separate times in one match, the announcers will call them out for it, and no action will be taken? I find that hard to believe. I know absolutely nothing about wrestling, but that just doesn't seem right.

Something I didn't mention in my original post, is that this is especially a problem because it's inconsistent within the episode itself. In the beginning, the match was forfeited to the Masked Royal when his opponent was caught cheating. This establishes that the rules are enforced, and matches will be called off. But then, for the rest of the episode, this never happens again, despite much worse, and much more blatant instances of cheating. That makes things seem especially strange.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
So, you're trying to tell me that in wrestling, people will blatantly cheat 10 separate times in one match, the announcers will call them out for it, and no action will be taken? I find that hard to believe. I know absolutely nothing about wrestling, but that just doesn't seem right.
yes this is literally what happens in wrestling lol.. and btw it must seem hard to believe if you've never seen wrestling since it's so ridiculous, but it's 100% true.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
yes this is literally what happens in wrestling lol.. and btw it must seem hard to believe if you've never seen wrestling since it's so ridiculous, but it's 100% true.

So why would there be rules in the first place if they're not expected to be followed? Why not just make it one big free for all?

And then there's the fact that they did disqualify that one guy the first time for cheating. Why did they enforce the rules there, but never again? That's where things really fail to make sense.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
So why would there be rules in the first place if they're not expected to be followed? Why not just make it one big free for all?

And then there's the fact that they did disqualify that one guy the first time for cheating. Why did they enforce the rules there, but never again? That's where things really fail to make sense.
It's part of the entertainment aspect of wrestling. It's all a scripted story. Everyone involved knows it's all fake but that's part of what makes it entertaining to that audience. Wrestling fans are less sports fans than they are fans of scripted dramas.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It's part of the entertainment aspect of wrestling. It's all a scripted story. Everyone involved knows it's all fake but that's part of what makes it entertaining to that audience. Wrestling fans are less sports fans than they are fans of scripted dramas.

Okay, but this clearly wasn't fake. This was a real, and respected, sport.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Okay, but this clearly wasn't fake. This was a real, and respected, sport.
Yeah so I don't think they adapted it properly, which is typical for this show's writers, but they were going for the wrestling vibe

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Yeah so I don't think they adapted it properly, which is typical for this show's writers, but they were going for the wrestling vibe

And therein lies the absurdity of this episode. You can have it fake with accepted cheating, or you can have it respected and real with enforced rules. It can't simultaneously work both ways. Without any kind of in-universe explanation, that was just poorly written.