• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Young Flame of Alola! The Birth of Royal Ash!! (1024)

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I disagree. It was because the Royals wanted to continue instead of being handed victory by revengers DQ that they continued. It was clearly shown in the opening that Royal Mask and Incineroar weren't happy when Mr Electric and Electivire were disqualified, they didn't like to win like that.

Anyway, not sure what the Dutch dub was doing here. Jelle Amersfoort uses a slightly tamer voice for Masked Royal than in his first appearance, although still very distinct from his Kukui voice, and they changed the catchphrase of Masked Royal from "succes" to "geniet". Succes is Dutch and means both 'success' as well as 'good luck', depending on context. "Geniet" on the other hand literally translates to "enjoy". I do get that "geniet" is closer to the original meaning, but I personally much prefer "succes" due to its double meaning, it just fits better I think. In Dutch you just wouldn't really use a lone verb as a catchphrase like that, it's a bit off. And even more importantly I think they should have stayed consistent with Masked Royal's first appearance, rather than changing it here to adhere closer to the English dub.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I disagree. It was because the Royals wanted to continue instead of being handed victory by revengers DQ that they continued. It was clearly shown in the opening that Royal Mask and Incineroar weren't happy when Mr Electric and Electivire were disqualified, they didn't like to win like that.

Anyway, not sure what the Dutch dub was doing here. Jelle Amersfoort uses a slightly tamer voice for Masked Royal than in his first appearance, although still very distinct from his Kukui voice, and they changed the catchphrase of Masked Royal from "succes" to "geniet". Succes is Dutch and means both 'success' as well as 'good luck', depending on context. "Geniet" on the other hand literally translates to "enjoy". I do get that "geniet" is closer to the original meaning, but I personally much prefer "succes" due to its double meaning, it just fits better I think. In Dutch you just wouldn't really use a lone verb as a catchphrase like that, it's a bit off. And even more importantly I think they should have stayed consistent with Masked Royal's first appearance, rather than changing it here to adhere closer to the English dub.
Odd that they were inconsistent within the same dub on two different appearances of the same character.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I expect they changed the catchphrase as they realised the previous wasn't all that accurate to the English version and wanted to rectify their mistake. The Dutch dub sometimes does have errors here and there that aren't caught before the episode goes out (like Rotom actually says Rowlet is a fighting type in the Grand Trial episode with Hala), although it was consistently "succes" in the first Masked Royal episode, which makes it seem intentional rather than just an oversight on a single line. And that's kind of weird. I'm also not sure why Amersfoort changed his Masked Royal voice a little bit, his Kukui has been very consistent and solid throughout, I haven't caught a single error on his side at all. Maybe it's just him learning more about the character and adapting his interpretation a bit for that. It's not like his new Masked Royal voice is bad at all, it still suits the character well. I'm wondering if I should send him an email asking him about it. He might not know why the catchphrase was changed, Amersfoort doesn't write the script after all, but maybe he'd know about why the voice changed.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
I expect they changed the catchphrase as they realised the previous wasn't all that accurate to the English version and wanted to rectify their mistake.
tbf, the English version keeping the Japanese phrase verbatim doesn't make much sense anyway, since I'm pretty sure the Japanese phrase is a pun on the fact that Incineroar's Japanese name is Gaogaen. At least that seems to be the only logic I can find, otherwise it's a very random catchphrase for him to have. Of course, since there is no "en" in the English name, it's a pun that gets lost in translation and you're left with a catchphrase that's just sort of... a very odd boast about how he's going to entertain people?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
That's fair, but the Dutch dub uses the English script as a basis. They translate from the English script, not the Japanese. I'm not even sure if the people who do this translation work (Bianca Steenhagen and Christa Lips) actually speak Japanese, I don't think they do. The voice actors use the Japanese audio as a reference to get an idea how a line should sound like, but the script is translated from English. Any quirky changes from the Japanese to the English script are not the consideration of the Dutch dub, they just go by the English one. But yes, the catchphrase "enjoy" losing that Gaogaen reference makes it kind of lame, which is why I was okay with the Dutch going with "succes".

One thing I do want to add is that Amersfoort's delivery as he calls for Incineroar's Z-Move is incredible. Less malice than Nakagawa's delivery but even more badass and awesome. Might be my favourite Z-Move delivery from all of Sun and Moon so far.

Last edited:

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
Where does all of Team Rockets money go? At first I figured that there was some manner of scheme in the works with the trio doing the announcing and all but it turns out they were just doing legitimate work. Jessie and James should really consider getting a bank account or something so they can keep better track of the wages they earn from side gigs.

Pretty action packed and the professor managed to protect his secret identity. I liked it.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Pretty action packed and the professor managed to protect his secret identity. I liked it.
I don't get how Professor Burnet doesn't know though (slash why wouldn't he tell her if they have a good relationship)

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
I don't get how Professor Burnet doesn't know though (slash why wouldn't he tell her if they have a good relationship)
Oh, the whole situation is extremely silly. And the show is quite aware of how silly it is and will play that silliness for all it's worth in a later episode. So don't worry, it is explained.