• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Theme Parks

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I like theme & amusement parks, so here's a thread about them, for information, videos, memories, plans, etc. If you like them too please post here!

Info on Walt Disney's plan to build an indoor theme park in St. Louis, back in the 60's. Fell through when Walt & the city of St. Louis couldn't decide how to split ownership. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney's_Riverfront_Square

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I’d like to go see Disneyland again along with Orlando Parks and Disney World but the prices are outrageous now. I really love Disney but having to spend $5 on a bottle of Pepsi is a bit much and the memorabilia is way overpriced. I just couldn’t afford to even visit any of those parks for more than an hour. An afternoon at the parks would probably be equivalent to 3 months worth of pay checks.

pacman000

A tour of Boblo Island, in 1991. The park would close in 1993. Some nice coasters; that Vekoma Corkscrew has a more interesting layout than the Arrow models you usually see. The second coaster, the Sky Screamer, was made by a Japanese company which now owns both Vekoma & Arrow, if I understand things correctly.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
I'm more of a zoo kinda guy, to be honest. But there are a handful of theme parks in my area (New England). That being said, I wouldn't mind going to Disney/Universal/SeaWorld at some point in my life (Animal Kingdom in particular is pretty high on my bucket list). I've been to my region's Six Flags once or twice. But it's an extremely long drive from where I am (near Boston) to get there(in Western Massachusetts). Most of the theme parks I've been to are up in New Hampshire. Canobie Lake Park, StoryLand, and Water Country, just to name a few.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I'm more of a zoo kinda guy, to be honest. But there are a handful of theme parks in my area (New England). That being said, I wouldn't mind going to Disney/Universal/SeaWorld at some point in my life (Animal Kingdom in particular is pretty high on my bucket list). I've been to my region's Six Flags once or twice. But it's an extremely long drive from where I am (near Boston) to get there(in Western Massachusetts). Most of the theme parks I've been to are up in New Hampshire. Canobie Lake Park, StoryLand, and Water Country, just to name a few.
The zoo near me is pretty interesting. The aquarium section is huge and you can see many types of fish coexisting with each other. I actually got to see a red panda up close which was really interesting. It was about the size of a Maine coon and it was being fed when I saw it.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
I have had some awful experiences with Six Flags. Poorly maintained bathrooms, long lines, $40 FOR CHICKEN TENDERS for my dad and i, etc, etc.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
I have had some awful experiences with Six Flags. Poorly maintained bathrooms, long lines, $40 FOR CHICKEN TENDERS for my dad and i, etc, etc.
But i do love Hershey Park though. Grand fun, highly recommend it.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
*Insert Defunctland channel recommendation here*

I need to lose weight before doing theme parks again post-COVID vaccine, but let me tell you...

OMG I LOVE a GOOD theme park!

And I've been to many, from BOTH DIsneyland AND World, to Carowinds, to Kennywood, to Dollywood, to about 15 traveling carnivals.

Not much of a Six Flags person, because of the inherent crap the name entails(Six Flags referring to the Six Flags of the 5 legitimate nations that ruled over Texas(including itself) and one failed rebellion(Confederacy) masquerading as one).

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Let me bring in some British theme parks into the discussion.

American Adventure: has closed down now. But I was very young at the time and remember winning a plushie of some sort. Also went upside down in the loop de loop for the first time. I enjoyed it a lot.

Chessington World Adventures: I went with my cousins to this. I remember it quite well as it was the Halloween theme. I also remember being stuck on a ride for 45 minutes and missing a show I wanted to see because of where I was positioned on the stuck ride.

Alton Towers: You may of heard of The Smiler incident. I haven't been on it. But Oblivion, Nemesis, AIR, Rita Queen of Speed, Thirteen...yup, I've been on all of the world's first. Highly recommended if you're ever up north in the UK.

My current set of friends do not like rollercoasters so I haven't been in a while. I've been looking to go by myself once lockdown restrictions are lifted.

Nyter

Island Challenger
Listen,

I am not so fond of theme parks and all that but Disney's Epcot was awesome. I loved the different cultural "countries" they had set up and how certain Disney movies tied to them. I was there around the time "Coco" was being promoted in theaters so that was dope.

But the one I am absolutely waiting for to be built and opened is the Super Mario World Theme Park (Universal Studios) in Orlando, Florida (Japan right now is too far for me in the middle of this panini).

And I have seen footage and I am already geeking over it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I've been to Disneyland in California several times, and to Disney World once. I've wanted to visit Tokyo DisneySea for a while now, but my plans to visit it fell through this year because of COVID-19.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I went to Kennywood once as a kid and I didn’t like it. My distaste for it actually grew after I got yelled at for not wanting to go on most of the rides because I didn’t like how high up they went and made me feel uncomfortable just looking at them. Up until then rollercoasters didn’t bother me that much and I would have gone on a few of them voluntarily but after being screamed at for just being scared (which should never be seen as a bad thing as fear is the main way people learn things), I have refused to go on any rollercoaster aside from one at Idewild and Space Mountain. All I remember from that day is being screamed at when I got home and punished just because I was afraid of the rollercoasters at Kennywood. I was only nine and that is what I remember the most from my only visit to that amusement park which is really sad considering I didn’t do anything wrong.

pacman000

Please, Six Flags, get your act together!

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
I went to Kennywood once as a kid and I didn’t like it. My distaste for it actually grew after I got yelled at for not wanting to go on most of the rides because I didn’t like how high up they went and made me feel uncomfortable just looking at them. Up until then rollercoasters didn’t bother me that much and I would have gone on a few of them voluntarily but after being screamed at for just being scared (which should never be seen as a bad thing as fear is the main way people learn things), I have refused to go on any rollercoaster aside from one at Idewild and Space Mountain. All I remember from that day is being screamed at when I got home and punished just because I was afraid of the rollercoasters at Kennywood. I was only nine and that is what I remember the most from my only visit to that amusement park which is really sad considering I didn’t do anything wrong.
If you were being forced onto one of the Phantom coasters(I don't know your age, so I'm not sure if it was the Steel Phamtom or The Phantom's Revenge) or something similarly OP, that is cruelty towards a nine-year old.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
If you were being forced onto one of the Phantom coasters(I don't know your age, so I'm not sure if it was the Steel Phamtom or The Phantom's Revenge) or something similarly OP, that is cruelty towards a nine-year old.
The thing that made me being screamed at and being grounded for being scared even worse is the fact this was this woman’s friend’s son’s school picnic (wow that’s a lot of possessive nouns!} who I kept being dragged to their house and always told to play with him and stay out of the adult’s way and she said that I “ruined” the entire day and made this kid upset. But he was happy the entire day which I know for a fact because I was stuck with him all day. Honestly I didn’t even really like the kid and I was afraid of him for various reasons, the main one being he was extremely bossy and made me do whatever he wanted to do (which actually included every time he was actually staying over at my house and he threatened to not let me do anything at his house if I didn’t comply which I had no other choice as he lived three towns away and an hour’s car ride and I couldn’t exactly walk home to get away from him. He was also a bit of a sociopath as he had some disturbingly high levels of being bad and he once ripped apart a two or three foot tall stuffed dragon in front of me with a pocket knife to which his mom acted rather oddly calm and more annoyed than horrified about. But I’m getting off topic here. It was cruel that I was being scolded all day for being afraid and I was made to feel like I should be ashamed for just realizing that I didn’t actually like roller coasters like I thought I would and that ride that went up really high frightened me mainly because I was afraid of accidentally falling out of them which was the image that kept happening in my head. I don’t actually have a fear of heights at all. I just don’t like being so high off the ground with very little to protect if I should fall. Ladders make me uneasy if I’m at a certain height but I feel some better if another person is nearby holding it steady. But yeah I definitely shouldn’t have been screamed at and punished at all for feeling what is probably natural and common for kids that age.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
The thing that made me being screamed at and being grounded for being scared even worse is the fact this was this woman’s friend’s son’s school picnic (wow that’s a lot of possessive nouns!} who I kept being dragged to their house and always told to play with him and stay out of the adult’s way and she said that I “ruined” the entire day and made this kid upset. But he was happy the entire day which I know for a fact because I was stuck with him all day. Honestly I didn’t even really like the kid and I was afraid of him for various reasons, the main one being he was extremely bossy and made me do whatever he wanted to do (which actually included every time he was actually staying over at my house and he threatened to not let me do anything at his house if I didn’t comply which I had no other choice as he lived three towns away and an hour’s car ride and I couldn’t exactly walk home to get away from him. He was also a bit of a sociopath as he had some disturbingly high levels of being bad and he once ripped apart a two or three foot tall stuffed dragon in front of me with a pocket knife to which his mom acted rather oddly calm and more annoyed than horrified about. But I’m getting off topic here. It was cruel that I was being scolded all day for being afraid and I was made to feel like I should be ashamed for just realizing that I didn’t actually like roller coasters like I thought I would and that ride that went up really high frightened me mainly because I was afraid of accidentally falling out of them which was the image that kept happening in my head. I don’t actually have a fear of heights at all. I just don’t like being so high off the ground with very little to protect if I should fall. Ladders make me uneasy if I’m at a certain height but I feel some better if another person is nearby holding it steady. But yeah I definitely shouldn’t have been screamed at and punished at all for feeling what is probably natural and common for kids that age.
As a theme park fan, this makes me mad.

They're supposed to be a place of pure joy.

NEVER force somebody to go on rides and/or attractions they don't want to.

And with THAT kind of kid, that furthers it.

I hate that that kind of abject cruelty was done to you, and that it poisoned Kennywood for you.

Diarkia124

I used to have a season pass to Six Flags since Marine World (or Discovery Kingdom) was a few minutes from my house. This also worked at Magic Mountain which I occasionally went to. I was someone that used to love going on all the biggest rides but those days are long past me lol

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I’m curious if anyone has ever figured out the conversation rate of the money Disney parks force you to use?

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I dont mind generic amusement parks since they can be a fun distraction for a day.

I personally dont like theme parks that use specific brands like Disney, Harry Potter, or other franchises. I'd rather not be bombarded with marketing and consumerism during a time when I wanna have fun.