• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Themes in Pokemon

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
What do you guys feel are themes in the pokemon series? I'm sure there are many you can think of. What kind of themes are unique to each game? What kind of monuments, events, people, quotes, places support different themes in pokemon? Now themes are subject to interpretation and there are no right or wrong answers. And this is not just limited to the games, but the anime, manga, and movies as well. Discuss

AZX612

On my own here we go
Kanto Video Game
The first journey. Nothing special, but thats what makes it so special.

Johto Video Game
The second journey. Refer to Kanto Video Game

Hoenn Video Game
Heroism. Instead of the main theme of kid becoming the Champion, you save the world from Drowning/Drying up

Sinnoh Video Game
Epic Hero. Saving the world from entire elimation.

Miror

De-le-le wooooooooooop
Staff member
Kanto Video Game
The first journey. Nothing special, but thats what makes it so special.

Johto Video Game
The second journey. Refer to Kanto Video Game

Hoenn Video Game
Heroism. Instead of the main theme of kid becoming the Champion, you save the world from Drowning/Drying up

Sinnoh Video Game
Epic Hero. Saving the world from entire elimation.

I couldn't have put it any better.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Generation 1 : Become the best (like no one ever was =p)

Generation 2 : Friendship between people & pokemon. Which is kinda reflected through the legendaries searching for someone of a pure Heart(and Soul if we take it a little further XD)

Generation 3 : Protect and preserve life/nature. You can see that in Hoenn, Ranger & the first Mystery Dungeons, since they were centered around Natural Disasters.

Generation 4 : The big picture of life. We got a creation story, themes like darkness and light in Mystery Dungeon & Ranger(2), and the main series villain basically had a vendetta against everything that makes life what it is..

In the games, it's all about becoming the best that you can be while also having to battle evil. :p There's also a bit of friendship and bonding in the games, mostly when you encounter a stranger that needs help. In the second generation, when you reach Olivine City, all you knew was that Jasmine is the Gym Leader. All of a sudden, you are going on a pretty long trip to Cianwood to get medicine for her sick Ampharos. I would consider that a bonding part in the games, and the fact that you can trade phone numbers with trainers is the friendship part in the games to me. When the trainers call you, they speak as if they knew you forever, so why not? :p

I honestly have barely seen any Pokemon episodes after the second generation-based ones, but I still enjoyed them very much. From the episodes that I have seen, I see the main themes as friendship and determination. Most of the episodes also show that winning isn't everything, and that you can accomplish a lot if you try and work for it. I actually remember seeing a D/P episode; the one where Ash loses to Paul. It's pretty interesting how the writers decided to make the main character lose, but it also reminds us that we are equal and always have room for improvement.

FormeEon

The DNA Master
Well with themes that DON'T involve moral virtues.

Before the first generation, team rocket was a good team that helped out others, then their leaders son disappeared, and their leader snapped making a bunch of plans to find his son, like using DNA to find him, and then in the First generation, its about Team Rocket making Mewtwo from Mew's DNA, which ultimately made scientists think "can pokemon breed?" Hence generation 2, where eggs appeared, and Team Rocket sends a massive signal across the world, turning various pokemon into shinies, with that wavelength still floating around, just not as strong. and then in the 3rd generation, 2 childhood friends who liked team rocket, and tried to figure out if by rocket,they meant the sky. So each thought of it their own way, the sun, or the rain, which seperated them into enemies who nearly destroy a region through two gems, and when a certain kid named Cyrus watches this on the news, he begins tinkering with machines and suchwhich, trying to make a peaceful world where this stuff didnt happen, however, due to him being tainted by his parents, ended up turning things for the worse.... News of these things travel around the world, where another kid, believes that any pokemon that was captured is treated badly by his trainer, and swore to release every single pokemon, and let them be their own beings. and thus the story continues...