• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

[Theory] ‘Galactic’ symbol - Professor?

Dooney

Anyone else find it strange that the ‘Professor’ of the region was skirted round in the reveal trailer? Aren’t they usually one of the first to be revealed? Or at least not ominously hinted at.

Others have picked up on the Team Galactic-esque logo present on the player character’s shoulders and also it’s presence on a flag in what is most likely a residence of the Professor.

Now for a weird theory:

What if that Professor is Cyrus?

Considering the Professor was avoided in the reveal it could perhaps be a bigger deal than usual, or a previous character. No other Professor would match the time period - it’s the wrong time period for a young Oak or Rowan. So maybe it’s someone who ended up back in time. Cyrus could match that as his fate is left unknown in DPPt after encounters with the trio.
And what if this is a prequel but also a sequel - set before DPPt but also set after it for Cyrus where he ends up back near a significant point in time for Arceus. Perhaps travelling the world and getting more info on Pokémon in his new world (maybe explains the starters from other regions) and then one day he meets someone who looks and acts similar to the kid that destroyed his plan in DPPt. Maybe then he ends up involved somehow, or wants back to his old world etc.

The flag and logo could be Cyrus’s new world logo that he has created (inspired from and eventually inspires the Galactic logo in the future). This all ends up a bit timey-wimey and maybe a bit far for a Pokémon story but maybe the DPPt remakes will tie in more plot-wise than expected. Cyrus has always been one of the more interesting characters in Pokémon so it would be good to have this explored - and it would make a good plot, especially if we know it is Cyrus but no idea of his intentions.

Or they could just not have revealed the Professor cause they’ve not finished it yet... Also valid.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
It could also be a Samson Oak thing, they just happen to be related or look alike for theming.

Cue Professor Cypress.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Unless they retcon a lot of stuff, I doubt Cyrus would appear unless he's a boy and that's only if the Arceus game is only set maybe 10 to 20 years from DPPt. Cyrus had a childhood in Sunyshore city, dealing heavily with machinery and computers and it seems unlikely we'll see heavy and advance machinery in Pokemon Legends: Arceus. Not impossible, just unlikely. We could see Cyrus's parents or his grandparents. Cyrus's parents were cold and strict but Cyrus's grandparents were loving and caring. Not a lot of people know this but Cyrus is only 27 years old.

Reading further along, the theory about time travel. I can see that happening. Some of you may say Giratina doesn't have power over time but this is GameFreak we're talking about. They don't always pay attention to their own lore so it can happen.

Last edited:

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
They never reveal Professors (or anyone other than the protags) this early. We're months away from getting that info, most likely.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I think it's likely the other way around. Cyrus was quite interested in history, and this logo belonged to an organization that was quite important to Sinnoh's history (as he hoped his own organization would be), so he adopted it. There are numerous examples of this in real history.

SoHowAreYou

There's a chance we won't really have a professor, to begin with. I suspect the professor's role will be fulfilled by whoever's in charge of the town the game starts in since that hall where you will likely pick up your starter looks more like a governor's office rather than a lab. Also, hot take, trying to do a complicated time travel plot in a pokemon game is... to put it mildly, kind of dumb. Like I would be surprised since the games as far as I can remember have not picked up on time travel, even if the anime has, then again this is already a very different premise so maybe there will be a time travel plot. I really hope not because time travel stories drive me up a wall.

This symbol, whose translation I've already forgotten is probably there for the same reason the two protagonists look a lot like Lucas and Dawn, someone fairly high up in the creative department said that there should be a callback to DPPt in our DPPt prequel. Depending on what that kanji (I think that's what it is) means it might also tie into the admittedly likely threadbare themes of this game. Plus as someone already said if Cyrus wanted to recruit people then he might want to co-opt a symbol that already had meaning in the region. That being said I will not be surprised at all if there is an important character, be it friend or foe, who will remind us of Cyrus.

ShadowForce720

There's a chance we won't really have a professor, to begin with. I suspect the professor's role will be fulfilled by whoever's in charge of the town the game starts in since that hall where you will likely pick up your starter looks more like a governor's office rather than a lab. Also, hot take, trying to do a complicated time travel plot in a pokemon game is... to put it mildly, kind of dumb. Like I would be surprised since the games as far as I can remember have not picked up on time travel, even if the anime has, then again this is already a very different premise so maybe there will be a time travel plot. I really hope not because time travel stories drive me up a wall.

This symbol, whose translation I've already forgotten is probably there for the same reason the two protagonists look a lot like Lucas and Dawn, someone fairly high up in the creative department said that there should be a callback to DPPt in our DPPt prequel. Depending on what that kanji (I think that's what it is) means it might also tie into the admittedly likely threadbare themes of this game. Plus as someone already said if Cyrus wanted to recruit people then he might want to co-opt a symbol that already had meaning in the region. That being said I will not be surprised at all if there is an important character, be it friend or foe, who will remind us of Cyrus.
No, it’s already confirmed that there is a professor for the game as when the game was being talked about in the direct/presents it’s literally said that Cyndaquil, Oshawott, and Rowlet were brought over by a certain professor and then it also said that you set off on your adventure after receiving a partner Pokémon of your own from this professor.

Aetius

I can get behind the idea that the Professor might be an ancestor to Cyrus, but I honestly don't see any merit in supporting the theory according to which Cyrus traveled back in time or ended up in the new world that he created
It wouldn't make any sense and that's because the world he envisioned was devoid of "spirit"
Basically, no spirit=no humans and Pokèmon
At least, that's how I see it

amoebo

amoeboVGC
I can get behind the idea that the Professor might be an ancestor to Cyrus, but I honestly don't see any merit in supporting the theory according to which Cyrus traveled back in time or ended up in the new world that he created
It wouldn't make any sense and that's because the world he envisioned was devoid of "spirit"
Basically, no spirit=no humans and Pokèmon
At least, that's how I see it
It is important to remember that while yes, Cyrus wanted to create a world lacking spirit, he additionally wanted to be the ruler of that world. No Pokemon or people only makes sense if the first tenet of Cyrus's plan was the only one.

However this doesn't really make sense because Giratina hasn't been shown to be able to control time. I do suppose it works as the anchoring balance for both time and space, meaning sure- it could theoretically be able to function upon both, but I prefer to use established lore to base things off.

Aetius

It is important to remember that while yes, Cyrus wanted to create a world lacking spirit, he additionally wanted to be the ruler of that world. No Pokemon or people only makes sense if the first tenet of Cyrus's plan was the only one.

However this doesn't really make sense because Giratina hasn't been shown to be able to control time. I do suppose it works as the anchoring balance for both time and space, meaning sure- it could theoretically be able to function upon both, but I prefer to use established lore to base things off.
Remember that Cyrus based all of his assumptions on ancient texts, which were refering to Arceus rather than Dialga, Palkia or Giratina.
Anyway, I doubt that Cyrus wanted to rule that world
To me always, he gave me the idea that he wanted to "live" his perfect world

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I wouldn't rule Cyrus out completely, although I really don't think it's likely he'll appear in this game. Last we saw him, he was sucked into the Distortion World. We know space and gravity are heavily distorted in the Distortion World. If Pokemon's universe follows anything resembling the real word principles of relativity, that likely means time is also heavily distorted in the Distortion World. Ignoring such minor issues as the grandfather paradox for a moment, it isn't entirely beyond the pale that Cyrus could have used the Distortion World to travel backwards in time, a feat we already know is possible in the Pokemon universe specifically via Celebi.

I personally am not a fan of this idea (I have a pretty adamant stance against time travel being used as a plot device, although that ship has already set sail in the Pokemon universe), and I think a far simpler explanation is the one that Cyrus adopted this logo because of its cultural significance, but it's definitely a possibility.

ckd89

what if they did a dc flashpoint like scenario for example Cyrus goes back into time to warn Cyllene about the future omega level threat that is coming to ancient Hisui to change the past, present and future of Pokémon kind of like thanos from the infinity saga