• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Theory as to why shinys are so rare (For the nido- family)

Chaos Wolf

The classic
Ok, this just is a little theory that I had but perhaps the shiny nido- family are rare due to the fact they are not considered true mates to the their species.
For example, Give that nidorans detect potential mates solely off of their color and scent. A shiny nidoran male would give off the scent of a male, attracting the female. However the female would not see the male as a mate because it is the color that the nidoran female line normally is. All the female would believe it to be is an oddly shaped nidoran female with a male in the vicinity. the shiny nidoran male would never be given the chance to pass on it's genes and thus the shiny male would only occur as a genetic oddity. the same thought could apply to a shiny nidoran female.
If the given is only half true, meaning it is solely on color rather than smell. the chances of the given male mating with a female are even lower.
If the given is merely smell, the theory then does not work.

E

Evanji Axu

Interesting. I thought of it being a rare but regularly occurring mutation.

Psychic

Really and truly
-If I remember correctly, the two Nidoran lines can't mate in the first place, despite them all the same sorts of Pokémon. So two Pokémon from the male line can't mate, nor can the two different Nidoran.

-If a normal female Nidoran went up the the Shiny male and smelled him, she would know that he is a male because of the scent coming from him. Common sense; if the scent is stronger aroung this oddly shaped 'female', then it isn't female.
-Plus I'm quite sure the female Nidoran knows male genitals from female genitals. Not to gross anyone out, but you know someone is of a different sex when their genitals are different from yours.

-Shinies don't pass down their genes. They're more like random oddities, and a Pokémon could be Shiny even if none of its relitives have ever been. Think of it in the sense that every once in awhile a Pokémon's DNA will be slightly different for no real biological reason, resulting in its skin/scales/feathers to be a different color. The DNA just sort of randomly decided to re-arrange itself.

-The makers of Pokémon wouldn't bother to make Nidoran the only exception to the Shiny rule because they don't incorporate that kind of thing into the game mechanics. You can make it true in a fic, though.

Those are my reasons for why I don't believe in your theory. It was a good idea, but...no. Just no.

~Psychic

Captain Murkrow

SACRE F-ING BLEU!
poor nidoran male shinies....they will always remain virgins.

i never thought about that myself.

R

Rikash Moonsword

I've always just thought of shiny's as albino pokemon.

Comray001

IMMA FIRIN MEH LAZOR
Wow very interesting.

Psychic

Really and truly
Thedarkcipher said:
poor nidoran male shinies....they will always remain virgins.

i never thought about that myself.
Actually, it's the females that will remain virgins, if anything.
Here is the Ground Egg Group and the Monster Egg Group. You will see that Nidoan female, Nidoran male, Nidorino and Nidoking are all in both of these Egg Groups. So where are Nidorina and Nidoqueen? These two cannot breed. No, NOOT EVEN WITH DITTO.
Theoretically, they can still have sex with other Pokémon, but they just can't breed.
Any of the six Pokémon can have as much sex as they want, but only four of them can actually breed and have babies.

Again, to prove my point, they can still have baby Nidoran female/male, it's just that you'll never see a pregnant Nidorina or Nidoqueen.

Rikash Moonsword said:
I've always just thought of shiny's as albino pokemon.
<< They aren't albino. Albino means that they lack pigments that give their skin, eyes and hair color. These Pokémon retain color in their hides. You can have albino Pokémon, but they would be white, not have a totally different color.
Besides, some Shiny Pokémon are colors that are darker than normal, like Charizard and Dragonite.

~Psychic