1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Theory. Does Sun have Alolan Royalty in his blood? (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Pokémon Manga Discussion' started by shoz999, Jul 27, 2018.

1. shoz999

shoz999 Trainer for Fun!

HUGE SPOILERS!!!

As of the creation of this thread, there have been hints throughout the Sun and Moon arc that answered some questions about Sun's past... only to lead to more questions. This is just a theory and I could be entirely wrong but does Sun have Alolan Royalty in his blood? Here are some major plot points that support this...

• The first Alolan Pokemon shown to Sun is an Alolan Meowth. His Great Grandfather owns three of these Alolan Meowth and Sun laters own one himself. In the Pokedex it's explained that this regional variant of Meowth exist because of a Royal House that loved the Meowth species and brought it to Alola. Over time this variant became more selfish and prideful under the royalty's care. I don't think it's a coincidence that the writer decide to give Sun a Alolan Meowth.
    • Sun wants a 100 Million Yen and it's explained later that he intends to use it to buy an island that he claims was stolen from his Great Grandfather by the Aether Foundation. This leads to an even bigger question? How the heck does his Great Grandfather own an entire island of the Alola region!? Keep in mind, owning an entire island is huge land right there. That is something that shouldn't be ignored! The idea of an outsider (Aether Foundation) buying a native's land (Sun's Great Grandfather), especially one that belongs to royalty, is also a classic trope that's being used here. My theory is that the island owned by the Aether Foundation belongs to one of a bunch of royal families that ruled Alola a long time ago, which is central to the game's lore and Alola's backstory.
    • A question that has yet to be answered but is brought up multiple times by other characters is that why Tapu Koko chose to gave the sparkling stone, the raw material for a Z-ring, to an outsider from Kanto and not an Alolan Native as the one to take on the Totem Trials. In the recent chapter 21, the Kahuna's made it clear that everyone who owned a Z-ring were native to Alola, making them wonder if the Tapu's have ever gave a sparkling stone to someone not from Alola. This is a question central to the story and Sun's past and it may be because this Kanto-native has Alolan blood, and to an extant Alolan royalty.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  2. lolipiece

lolipiece Ain't that the tooth Staff Member Moderator

Another hint you forgot: when Sun and the others left the Ruins of Life, they had a small scene where Sun's Meowth wanted to let out of its Ball to see Memorial Hill, where Alola's royal families were buried.

It could be passed off as Kusaka noting Alolan Meowth's royal history, but at the same time, Sun's Meowth was more than likely not alive when Alola's royalty was around, so why would it care unless there's a reason?

What? Where is it ever stated that the island Sun was speaking of was one of the four main islands that make up Alola?

You can clearly see on the map that there are a number of smaller islands around Alola, such as the Poke Pelago and Exeggutor Island, so it can easily be a small one.

And I doubt Aether can own an entire island, nor do I think the equivalent of a million dollars could pay for that.

3. shoz999

shoz999 Trainer for Fun!

Woops. I assumed it would be one of the four main Alolan Islands, completely forgot about the other islands around the island chain. I will edit that error. Also cool little detail you noted, should I add any further information in suggested by others or just let the lookers take a look at your and other people's comments here? Also now that you mentioned it, Poke Pelago could fit that island, perhaps Lusamine realizes Mohn is her lost husband and decides to give him a new life over there. A bit of a stretch since it interferes with the fact that Mohn's disappearance is the reason why Lusamine went insane but would work Poke Pelago and Mohn easily into a tight schedule.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  4. Zhydra

Zhydra Well-Known Member

No, I picture Lusamine going more nuts on realizing Mohn was at such a place the whole time, especially if they are going the S/M route where she is at her most nuts. (And bleeping forgot he was even her objective to mess with the wormholes in the first place!)

In US/UM Lusamine (The one that isn't so nuts.) found Mohn visiting Aether Paradise during the post game, after she had her teeth kicked in by Necrozma and was given a chewing by both Lillie and the URS.
    During that point Lusamine was making an effort to turn herself around for the better/ stopped being crazy. She let him go on the count that he would be much happier and if they do reunite later, it will be on different terms.

5. Lucky3

Lucky3 Well-Known Member

This makes a lot of sense, but I don't see in what context the reveal could be relevant for the plot. Lusamine, Necrozma and the UBs have nothing to do with Alolan royalty, so why does it matter?

6. shoz999

shoz999 Trainer for Fun!

Actually Solgaleo, Lunala, and Necrozma have a lot to do with the Alolan Royal Families back than, it's part of the Alolan region's background. There are books in Malie's Library that says that a Alolan King befriended a Solgaleo/Lunala (similar to Nebby), allied with the Tapu's, and a youth (assumed to be of royal blood possibly in the manga) that defeated a Pillager of Light (Necrozma) a long time ago that terrified everyone, including the royal family to the point the Alolan King erased all records of Necrozma so no one has to be afraid of such a Pokemon again. It could be that Sun is one of the few who have Alolan Royalty in his blood that can befriend Nebby easily, have him on his Pokemon Team and use Nebby to travel through warpholes to defeat Necrozma as if Alolan history repeats itself.
    • The book mentioning the legendaries the first time in the Sun version says...
    "The empty sky broke asunder, a hole appearing where had been none. A single beast appeared from in it: it was called the beast that devours the sun. The kind of Alola bowed before it: the beast that shone so like the sun. The island guardians fought against it, but in the end the beast had won. Then did the beast that devours the sun shine its light on the line of kings. Then did the beast that had won bring nature's gift to bless all things. Beast of sun and beast of moon. Through their union, they brought new life. A fragile heir in Alola born that island guardians would keep from strife. The ancient kings sang their thanks for Solgaleo with song of flute. Two tones rang out across the altar - a perfect pair, ever after mute."
    • There are also other books in the library that mention the King's relationship with the Tapu's
    "The Guardians and the Ancient Kings. In ancient times, the tapu served as the leaders of the armies of each island's king, but if they used there Z-Power in battle, it caused great destruction across the islands. Because of this, the tapu came to no longer lend their aid in the wars of men."
    • There's a sidequest revolving around Acerola that Serebii.net seems to have failed to list in the USUM Side Quest section. If you get a certain order of books right, Acelora finds a almost burnt book about Necrozma. Acerola later says that she heard the king of the time burned the books about Necrozma so that the people wouldn't be scared or worried that such an event will happen again. It's also possible that the youth is of Alolan Royalty, at least in the manga if it ever takes that to account.
    "The pillager of light descends from the sky and shrouded the world in darkness. The pillager took from us the beast that devours the sun, using the beast as its own Dusk Mane. A youth and the guardians together used the stones to summon the light once more. The beast that devours the sun was freed from the pillager of light, and the darkness was banished from Alola."

Huh on a different note, just realize that's another major plotpoints of the games to list in the first comment hinting at Sun's royal lineage in the manga, potentially befriending Nebby like the Alolan King did with Solgaleo/Lunala long ago, using the flutes made and played by the Alolan Kings at the altar, and defeating Necrozma like the youth did mentioned in the book. Should I list it in the first comment or just have lookers see this comment? What do you guys think?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  7. lolipiece

Nothing in the pillager of light story says that the youth was royalty, so unless I missed something, I'm not sure how that confirms anything.

It's clearly just meant to be another case of "kid saves the world", as you'd expect in Pokemon.

8. shoz999

shoz999 Trainer for Fun!

I could see how that is misleading, I mean it could be possible the youth is at least royalty in the manga, mirroring Sun's royalty if the theory holds true.

9. Redstar45

Redstar45 A champion of kind heart !

Ehh we didn't have a main character from the rich family in our own Pokedex holder named Lady Platinum ?

10. lolipiece

Yes, but what does that have to do with anything?

Sun isn't rich, otherwise he wouldn't need to gather the money. And it's not like Platinum is a princess, she's just part of a zaibatsu family.

Also, Alola doesn't have any royalty anymore. They're long gone, as evidenced by Acerola having to live in an orphanage with her raggy clothes.

11. Redstar45

I mean that i don't think that i wanted an another character that is rich or something like that

12. shoz999

shoz999 Trainer for Fun!

I'm not saying Sun is rich or something. In fact he's portrayed in the manga as trying to get money through any jobs possible, although Sun's grandfather owning an island may say otherwise at one time. What I'm saying that there's a lot of evidence, both from the game's background of Alola and the manga's background and mysteries surrounding Sun, pointing to the possibility that Sun may have Alolan Royalty with possibly thousands of Alolan history and background in his blood. It's also because of this, I believe Sun will be the one to have Nebby on his team at least temporarily like the old Alolan Kings of old and repeat history of the youth fighting Necrozma.

13. lolipiece

Well, Moon is heavily implied to be a Berlitz, or at least connected to them, so that may very well be out the window.

14. Redstar45

In the weird way i kind okay with that apparently but not sun