• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Theory: Which Legendaries / Mythicals Are / Are Not The Same?

Rune Knight

Hello. This is just for the sake of fun discussion and speculation.

We have seen many legendaries and mythicals re-appear time and time again throughout the series. Most definitive sources tend to label them as separate entities, suggesting that there is more than one member within their species.

However, I'd like to make a case that theorizes around the idea that some of them are actually one and the same.

For example, I believe that the Mew that Goh is chasing after in Journeys is actually the same Mew from the First Movie. My reasonings for this is that they share the same voice actors and were nodded to by Mewtwo in JN46. It is also the same Mew that appears in SM42, when they return to Kanto.

However, the Mew that we see in M08 is an entirely different Mew, because it has a different voice actor and even though it also resides in Kanto it probably tends to not leave the region where the movie takes place.

So when it comes to Mew, there have only been two entities, as the mirage one doesn't count.

There are plenty of other examples with other legendaries / mythicals where this could be applied; and of course this is all just a theory!

Note: They don't need to share the same voice actor to be considered one and the same, that was just served as my evidence for the case of Mew.

Rune Knight

Theres more than one kanto birds, and they live in kanto, orange islands and kalos

Speaking of which, I think that Moltres we saw in the recent episode and the one from way back during the Indigo League are one in the same. It is probably also the same one that appears in https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/HS18 since it is also set in Kanto, sort of.

The one from the OI is a different one, while the one from Kalos is also its own.

So I believe that 3 Moltres' have appeared in total so far.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Well....we know Lugias aren't the same lol
Lugia from OL is definitely not the same as the two Lugia in Johto
And then Journeys Lugia which I like to think is Silver grown up but it's most probably just another Lugia
Damn.... 4 Lugia but one Ho-Oh

Also Regis are different too now that we have one appearing in Journeys. So atleast 2 sets of Regi
I agree with there being 3 set of Kanto birds. So zapdos from the Goh episode is probably the one from that OS filler where it was being drained from electricity, makes sense why it was weak
Moltres being the same as the one who appeared during Indigo league
There are multiple sets of Latias and Latios as we saw in the movie and with Tobias and Nurse Joy
One set of Swords of Justice, hope they keep it consistent
One set of nature of forces from unova, the same appeared for those Unova episodes and the movies
Now, I believe there are definitely 2 sets of Legendary beasts simply coz I have a hard time believing Goh's Suicune is the same as Johto one considering how weak it was
Lake spirits only one pair, so is the creation trio. Firmly believe the one in Galactic arc is same as in the Movies.
Definitely 2 sets of Reshiram and Zekrom since M14 exists (I like to pretend that movie is non canon lol, so contradictory)
2 sets of Mewtwo as we know
2 sets of Jirachu with the Unova one being different
Multiple Celebi easily
One set of Groudon Kyogre and Rayquaza I'll say. Although wait Hoopa movie had a shiny Rayquaza so atleast 2. Multiple Deoxys
2 sets of Darkrai atleast with one in sinnoh and one in Kalos, possibly 3 if Tobias Darkrai isn't the same that appeared in that sinnoh episode
We have only seen one Cresselia
2 Regiggas
2 heatran
Multiple Shaymin and Phione. One Manaphy
ONE Arceus, never let that be retconned pls. One Giratina as well. One Kyurem. Multiple Genesect. One Meloetta, Diancie, Hoopa and Volcanion. One Xerneas Yveltal. 2 Zygarde. 2 Zeroara (although both are AU lol), 2 Magearna (Lillie has a shiny one), one Marshadow in the main universe. Multiple Solgaleo and Lunala. One Alola guardian deity. Multiple Ultra Beasts by lore. One Necrozma, Eternatus, Zacian and Zamazenta. Multiple Zarude. Possibly multiple Urshifu and Kubfu. Hopefully one Calyrex, Spectrier and Glastrier.

DatsRight

Didn't Mallow's Shaymin fly off with a trio of Sky Forme just like the trio at the end of that DP filler?

ShadowForce720

Well....we know Lugias aren't the same lol
Lugia from OL is definitely not the same as the two Lugia in Johto
And then Journeys Lugia which I like to think is Silver grown up but it's most probably just another Lugia
Damn.... 4 Lugia but one Ho-Oh

Also Regis are different too now that we have one appearing in Journeys. So atleast 2 sets of Regi
I agree with there being 3 set of Kanto birds. So zapdos from the Goh episode is probably the one from that OS filler where it was being drained from electricity, makes sense why it was weak
Moltres being the same as the one who appeared during Indigo league
There are multiple sets of Latias and Latios as we saw in the movie and with Tobias and Nurse Joy
One set of Swords of Justice, hope they keep it consistent
One set of nature of forces from unova, the same appeared for those Unova episodes and the movies
Now, I believe there are definitely 2 sets of Legendary beasts simply coz I have a hard time believing Goh's Suicune is the same as Johto one considering how weak it was
Lake spirits only one pair, so is the creation trio. Firmly believe the one in Galactic arc is same as in the Movies.
Definitely 2 sets of Reshiram and Zekrom since M14 exists (I like to pretend that movie is non canon lol, so contradictory)
2 sets of Mewtwo as we know
2 sets of Jirachu with the Unova one being different
Multiple Celebi easily
One set of Groudon Kyogre and Rayquaza I'll say. Although wait Hoopa movie had a shiny Rayquaza so atleast 2. Multiple Deoxys
2 sets of Darkrai atleast with one in sinnoh and one in Kalos, possibly 3 if Tobias Darkrai isn't the same that appeared in that sinnoh episode
We have only seen one Cresselia
2 Regiggas
2 heatran
Multiple Shaymin and Phione. One Manaphy
ONE Arceus, never let that be retconned pls. One Giratina as well. One Kyurem. Multiple Genesect. One Meloetta, Diancie, Hoopa and Volcanion. One Xerneas Yveltal. 2 Zygarde. 2 Zeroara (although both are AU lol), 2 Magearna (Lillie has a shiny one), one Marshadow in the main universe. Multiple Solgaleo and Lunala. One Alola guardian deity. Multiple Ultra Beasts by lore. One Necrozma, Eternatus, Zacian and Zamazenta. Multiple Zarude. Possibly multiple Urshifu and Kubfu. Hopefully one Calyrex, Spectrier and Glastrier.
Isn’t there technically 3 sets of Regis?because you have the ones that appear that help Mew protect the tree of life(or whatever it’s called) in movie 8, then you have the ones that are owned by Brandon, and then you have the ones that are showing up in Journeys(which so far we have only seen Regice there but there is also likely a Regirock and Registeel).

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Isn’t there technically 3 sets of Regis?because you have the ones that appear that help Mew protect the tree of life(or whatever it’s called) in movie 8, then you have the ones that are owned by Brandon, and then you have the ones that are showing up in Journeys(which so far we have only seen Regice there but there is also likely a Regirock and Registeel).
Yea I forgot the movie 8 one. There are definitely 3 sets

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I think the idea of the Mew Goh is chasing (and has seen on his childhood) is the same as movie 1 is accurate.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
We know there are two different Mewtwo as both had vastly different voices and personalities in their respective movies, the Legendary Beasts are different in the Zoroark movie due to them being Shiny, the Shaymin In SM was definitely a different one as it seemed to be more timid, Deoxys is different as the one in the movie had a friend and they don’t seem like they’d ever go their separate ways, and multiple Legendary Birds as Articuno made several appearances under different circumstances and locations. The Pokémon that are most likely the one one of their kind seem to be the Weather Trio ( more than one Groudon and Kyogre would be too much for the world to handle), Arceus, the Creation Trio, the Unovan Dragon trio, and Manaphy as it appears only one of them can exist at a time and the fact that Manaphy eggs are extremely rare and only appear under extremely specific conditions that no one has figured out quite yet.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I guess the only mons that are confirmed to be one are the creation trio and Arceus, Kyurem, Ho-Oh, Groudon and Kyogre, lake spirits, swords of justice, forces of nature, Meloetta, victini, Manaphy, Cresselia, Hoopa, Volcanion, Xerneas, Yveltal, Diancie, Marshadow, Zeroara, Necrozma, Eternatus, Zacian and Zamazenta

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I guess the only mons that are confirmed to be one are the creation trio and Arceus, Kyurem, Ho-Oh, Groudon and Kyogre, lake spirits, swords of justice, forces of nature, Meloetta, victini, Manaphy, Cresselia, Hoopa, Volcanion, Xerneas, Yveltal, Diancie, Marshadow, Zeroara, Necrozma, Eternatus, Zacian and Zamazenta
I think there are more than one Marshadow given it is based on the shadow marchers of Hawaiian legends and could just prefer not to be seen unless it is necessary and the one seen in I Choose You was one of the few that were curious about the world and set off on its own to make new discoveries.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
ICY is AU
I know that. It still doesn’t mean that there is only one Marshadow in existence. I was just stating my theory that there are many more Marshadow than we think and that a majority of them prefer to stay hidden and not interact with humans or other Pokémon that aren’t of the same species.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I know that. It still doesn’t mean that there is only one Marshadow in existence. I was just stating my theory that there are many more Marshadow than we think and that a majority of them prefer to stay hidden and not interact with humans or other Pokémon that aren’t of the same species.
Well I'm talking more on what we have seen then speculation

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan