• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Theory: Which Legendaries / Mythicals Are / Are Not The Same?

Rune Knight

Well....we know Lugias aren't the same lol
Lugia from OL is definitely not the same as the two Lugia in Johto
And then Journeys Lugia which I like to think is Silver grown up but it's most probably just another Lugia
Damn.... 4 Lugia but one Ho-Oh

Also Regis are different too now that we have one appearing in Journeys. So atleast 2 sets of Regi
I agree with there being 3 set of Kanto birds. So zapdos from the Goh episode is probably the one from that OS filler where it was being drained from electricity, makes sense why it was weak
Moltres being the same as the one who appeared during Indigo league
There are multiple sets of Latias and Latios as we saw in the movie and with Tobias and Nurse Joy
One set of Swords of Justice, hope they keep it consistent
One set of nature of forces from unova, the same appeared for those Unova episodes and the movies
Now, I believe there are definitely 2 sets of Legendary beasts simply coz I have a hard time believing Goh's Suicune is the same as Johto one considering how weak it was
Lake spirits only one pair, so is the creation trio. Firmly believe the one in Galactic arc is same as in the Movies.
Definitely 2 sets of Reshiram and Zekrom since M14 exists (I like to pretend that movie is non canon lol, so contradictory)
2 sets of Mewtwo as we know
2 sets of Jirachu with the Unova one being different
Multiple Celebi easily
One set of Groudon Kyogre and Rayquaza I'll say. Although wait Hoopa movie had a shiny Rayquaza so atleast 2. Multiple Deoxys
2 sets of Darkrai atleast with one in sinnoh and one in Kalos, possibly 3 if Tobias Darkrai isn't the same that appeared in that sinnoh episode
We have only seen one Cresselia
2 Regiggas
2 heatran
Multiple Shaymin and Phione. One Manaphy
ONE Arceus, never let that be retconned pls. One Giratina as well. One Kyurem. Multiple Genesect. One Meloetta, Diancie, Hoopa and Volcanion. One Xerneas Yveltal. 2 Zygarde. 2 Zeroara (although both are AU lol), 2 Magearna (Lillie has a shiny one), one Marshadow in the main universe. Multiple Solgaleo and Lunala. One Alola guardian deity. Multiple Ultra Beasts by lore. One Necrozma, Eternatus, Zacian and Zamazenta. Multiple Zarude. Possibly multiple Urshifu and Kubfu. Hopefully one Calyrex, Spectrier and Glastrier.

I only saw this like 1 month after it was posted. I agree with most of this.

Rune Knight

Just a personal thought, I think that most of the legendary / mythical pokémon have the ability to communicate through telepathy.

The reason why some do not is because they will only choose to do so if they feel the circumstances to be appropriate.

For example, the Lugia from M02 was able to communicate with the characters while the one from Journeys (who could be Silver) did not. I believe that this was likely because it didn't feel the need to do so at the time because it was only looking for a challenge. Also I believe that Ash mentioned something about being able to understand Lugia so that suggests that even though we didn't hear its voice it likely did at least speak to Ash.

This rule doesn't apply to every legendary / mythical species like the legendary birds who are likely only limited to their natural animalistic sounds and cries.

So, in the context of this topic, just because one talks and the other one does not does not mean that they can't be one and the same.

Zero1999

It's heavily implied those mons are from previous movies, esp Kyurem Lugia Palkia Giratina and Dialga
It doesn't seem like it honestly for some reason, I don't remember much of the movie but I recall only Ash recognized the species but not being the same ones he met previosuly

Zero1999

Their locations from where they are pulled feels consistent with past movie lore
Yeah, about that, problem is Latias and Latios can mega evolve and after the movie they fly towards their home as if the Lati@s that were pulled from the portal came from the present time, if it was the same Latios shouldn't it be dead?, with Lugia it was never shown he came from his home, it never convinced me that they are the same legendaries Ash met, Hoopa movie was a mess.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Yeah, about that, problem is Latias and Latios can mega evolve and after the movie they fly towards their home as if the Lati@s that were pulled from the portal came from the present time, if it was the same Latios shouldn't it be dead?, with Lugia it was never shown he came from his home, it never convinced me that they are the same legendaries Ash met, Hoopa movie was a mess.
It was shown in Pokémon Heroes though that there are multiple Latias and Latios in the place, so I find it easy for a new pair to come from Alto Mare for the Hoopa movie
I mean it isn't confirmed yea but to me it seemed by the aesthetic that it was pretty much intentional to include legendaries from past movies.

Rune Knight

In regards to the legendaries that appears in M18 here is how I see it, some of them like Zekrom and Reshiram had brief appearances but I included them anyway.

Lugia: Same One from M02
Latios: Different from Previous Appearances
Latias: Different from Previous Appearances
Kyogre: Same One from M09 / ME Specials / AG Episodes
Groudon: Same One from ME Specials / AG Episodes
Rayquaza: Different from Previous Appearances
Dialga: Same One from M10 / M11 / M12 / DP Episodes
Palkia: Same One from M10 / M11 / M12 / DP Episodes
Regigigas: Same One from M11 / DP Episodes
Giratina: Same One from M11 / M12
Arceus: Same One from M12
Reshiram: Same One from M14 / BW Episodes
Zekrom: Same One from M14 / BW Episodes
Kyrurem: Same One from M15

Of course this is just my opinion, but even if it applied it doesn't change or re-shape the movie in any type of way. I think that the writers left this mostly to interpretation. Also there's the fact that Hoopa can pull pokémon from different universes, but I like to think that at least some of them consist of ones that Ash was already familiar with since he does recognize all of them.

And just to add on a little side note, this is also my least favorite movie, but that's just my personal bias.

Zero1999

It was shown in Pokémon Heroes though that there are multiple Latias and Latios in the place, so I find it easy for a new pair to come from Alto Mare for the Hoopa movie
I mean it isn't confirmed yea but to me it seemed by the aesthetic that it was pretty much intentional to include legendaries from past movies.
Then yes, the ending of Heroes shows that there are multiple of them that come Alto Mare (and more thanks to Tobias and that Nurse Joy) and the ones in M18 are totally different ones from the movie (perhaps this implies that Latias in M05 no longer is a guardian after the events). Ofc this is all speculative since i think they never mention they are the same Legendaries Ash met previously, same species but different ones.

In regards to the legendaries that appears in M18 here is how I see it, some of them like Zekrom and Reshiram had brief appearances but I included them anyway.

Lugia: Same One from M02
Latios: Different from Previous Appearances
Latias: Different from Previous Appearances
Kyogre: Same One from M09 / ME Specials / AG Episodes
Groudon: Same One from ME Specials / AG Episodes
Rayquaza: Different from Previous Appearances
Dialga: Same One from M10 / M11 / M12 / DP Episodes
Palkia: Same One from M10 / M11 / M12 / DP Episodes
Regigigas: Same One from M11 / DP Episodes
Giratina: Same One from M11 / M12
Arceus: Same One from M12
Reshiram: Same One from M14 / BW Episodes
Zekrom: Same One from M14 / BW Episodes
Kyrurem: Same One from M15

Of course this is just my opinion, but even if it applied it doesn't change or re-shape the movie in any type of way. I think that the writers left this mostly to interpretation. Also there's the fact that Hoopa can pull pokémon from different universes, but I like to think that at least some of them consist of ones that Ash was already familiar with since he does recognize all of them.

And just to add on a little side note, this is also my least favorite movie, but that's just my personal bias.
With the exception of Lati@s since I strongly believe they are a totally different, The Hoenn Trio (specifically Groudon and Kyogre)might be different because in the movie Hoppa pulls them in their normal form and later pulls them in their Primal State, not to mention that if they are the same ones from AG then are they constantly sleeping then awakening and so on? In AG they put the balance to the risk and do the same thing but even worse in the Mega Evolution specials. Also Kyogre appeared in SM.

Lugia is a weird case because he never spoke in the movie, it just doesn’t convince me its the same one from the Movie 2 because his location seemed ambiguous.

The rest of them is debatable, example is Regigigas,there shouldn’t it be 2 of them? One in SnowPoint Temple and another one in the Giratina movie?

And yes, I didn’t like M18 too

Last edited: