• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

There are no flying pokemon!

Raccario

Has anyone ever noticed that there are no Pokemon that are just flying (check serebii if you dont beleive me)
The only way to get a flying pokemon by itself unless Arcues holds the plate

But why do you think there are no plain flying pokemon? I think it is because flying Pokemon have so many weaknesses, but then again most flying pokemon are also normal.

Cosmic

The Electric Lucario
Flying alone has Electric, Rock, and Ice as weaknesses, but Normal type doesn't make much of a difference besides making Normal neutral. On that topic, maybe in the 1st generation there wasn't much of a variety in Flying-type attacks, so they needed to give Flying types better Normal-type moves. The only explanation is giving it that typing, and tradition has kept it that way.

Ridley

Rawr
I think I'd rather my fliers have a Ghost immunity than a simple Fighting resist. Besides, most Normal/Flying types look like "Normal" animals. Pigeons, owls, sparrows. One exception is Chatot, who really should have remained pure Flying.

Dragonfree

Just me
Yes, everybody has noticed this.

The Flying type is more of an attribute than a whose class of Pokémon. It's kind of like tacking "that flies" onto the general description of the main type. The Flying type doesn't describe the Pokémon in question except to the rather limited extent that it can probably fly. It covers birds, bats, dragons, balloons... basically, a type of pure Flying wouldn't really describe the Pokémon at all. Now, if it were an Air type, it would say something. Just saying "Air" brings some image to your mind. So does "Bird". But it's not an Air type or a Bird type. It's a Flying type, and all that "Flying" tells us is that the Pokémon probably has wings. Wings are just two body parts; what about the rest of the Pokémon? What would a pure Flying-type be exactly?

KetchupO

tωisted
Nice explanation Dragonfree, but I still don't understand what is so difficult in having a pure flying type -.-
Swellow for example? Really big wings :p Is it really necessary for them to add in that Normal type??
Some poeple might say a cloud Pokemon...well we have Castform and that's Normal type too :S

So, yeah, I've always found that strange :/ ....an annoying xD

Although it has already been asked, what would one look like? Would it be a gust of wind or a pile of feathers?

It makes me wonder how a pure flying type would act if it used Roost. Would it be even more neutral than normal?

Eclipse

I AM GONE.
Yes, everybody has noticed this.

The Flying type is more of an attribute than a whose class of Pokémon. It's kind of like tacking "that flies" onto the general description of the main type. The Flying type doesn't describe the Pokémon in question except to the rather limited extent that it can probably fly. It covers birds, bats, dragons, balloons... basically, a type of pure Flying wouldn't really describe the Pokémon at all. Now, if it were an Air type, it would say something. Just saying "Air" brings some image to your mind. So does "Bird". But it's not an Air type or a Bird type. It's a Flying type, and all that "Flying" tells us is that the Pokémon probably has wings. Wings are just two body parts; what about the rest of the Pokémon? What would a pure Flying-type be exactly?

Yes, but not all flying types have wings, and not all flying element attacks involve wings.

Take Gyarados and Air Slash for example.

Kataphrut

Gyarados was always like that because the closest other type would be Dragon and Gyarados is lethal enough without that!

Dragonfree pretty much summed it up. Flying is always a 'second type'.

cloudk

hates you.
As mentioned before, it's hard to think of a pokemon that's pure flying type. Oh and kecleon, after getting hit by a flying type attack, is also a pure flying type.

Lord_Sunday

Remember me from RSE
Has anyone ever noticed that there are no Pokemon that are just flyingyes (check serebii if you dont beleive me)we do
The only way to get a flying pokemon by itself unless Arcues holds the plateyes

But why do you think there are no plain flying pokemon?Well for one roost would be pretty messed up. Yay, My Pokemon has no typing! I think it is because flying Pokemon have so many weaknesses,Only three... but then again most flying pokemon are also normal.Back to two

Oh this isn't one of those polls?

THe only way to have a pure Flying type is if the pokemon was made completely of Air.

KetchupO

tωisted
THe only way to have a pure Flying type is if the pokemon was made completely of Air.
That makes no sense though -.-
It wouldn't fly it would 'float'.

I don't they should have any trouble with designing a bird-like Pokemon or a flying pig for all I care, and making it a Flying Type :D

Charmander#4

Dating Rosie Palms?
Shiny, invisible Bulbasaur would probably qualify, don't you think?

Persian22

Castform should be only flying type.