• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

There's a New Gym Leader in Town! (772)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
That still doesn't make that right. People are still allowed to dislike how Oshawott is treated.

You make it sound as if he's being treated badly, when he's not. Like everyone keeps reminding me, he gets the most screen-time out of Ash's Pokemon with the obvious exception of Pikachu, and he has license to do pretty much anything he wants because that's what his audience desires. I find it really ironic that some fans are trying to make Oshawott seem like a Pokemon that's been abused by the writers when it fact its those same fans who are abusing him by bashing him for every little thing he does. Oh and why is it that Axew gets to do whatever he wants too, but unlike Oshawott, he rarely gets called out for his actions? I'm probably the only person here who commented on his lack of self control and maturity when he went and messed with the switches.

This episode was just wow. Dento kind of scared me when he was talking to the Ducklett. But, it was kind of funny to see him get sprayed in the face by Water Gun and laugh it off. That Shinx was adorable. And dang it Oshawott. It seems that your time just isn't now. Also darn you Axew. (>.<)

My fav screencaps

The Herdier is just awesome ^_^

Mine as well. (^.^)

Squirtle_007

Right, because it's always about you and complaining... 1.- nobodies allowed to have a negative opinion about how Best Wishes is being treated. You like it that's fine, 2.- but don't think everyone has to follow your twisted logic of liking garbage writing, because it is, there's no reason for Ash to be this bad 5 regions in :p I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna just sit here and accept what I'm being given, but I'm too good a fan to just flat out quit.

3.- What's possessing you to think Ash was gonna beat an Elite 4 member... if Pikachu couldn't beat Agatha's Gengar and Grovyle couldn't beat Drake's Altaria. There was no way Torterra or any of Ash's other Pokemon (new and old) were gonna beat Bertha's Hippowdon. As for Electivire and Darmanitan, both of those loses were acceptable. 4.- Even if Hydreigon is portrayed as strong, Oshawott should never have been called out against it in the beginning, or are you being the hypocrite, because as far as I recall, you love basic stage Pokemon. If they're as powerful as you say they are, then Oshawott should have won regardless, as it had early momentum as I said.

1.- No, seemingly, nobody is allowed to have a POSSITIVE opinion about Best Wishes (-_-)
2.- You answered yourself stating as a fact that is "garbage writing", why am I obligated to despise it (-_-)?
3.- Sending a Grass-type to fight against a Dragon/Flying type is NEVER a good idea
4.- I´m not being hypocrite, I like base stage Pokémon, to explain why he didn´t beat Hydreigon, I would have to be a writer :confused:

People are just making a big deal for something that has happened since episode 1, and seems to forget that Squirtle, Totodile and Buizel weren´t undefeated powerhouses during their runs, only Corphish had a decent battle record.

RVD_fan

-Without subs I was a little shaky on the plot of this episode. Why exactly did Ash want to find the gym?

-Cheren was fine from what I could tell, but I really wish they showed a flashback of him in his BW1 attire showing how he used to be a cocky trainer. I mean, if you're gonna do fanservice, you might as well do it right.

-Ash dexing when thought there might be a Pokemon there is the smartest thing I've seen him do in I don't even know how long.

-Just like with Skyla, where does Cilan get off talking about how a gym leader should act when he's completely abandoned his own gym? He's becoming more like Brock every week...

-So yeah, Cheren really took Ash to school here (har har har). Not to beat a dead horse but I feel like Ash should've put up a better fight, I was hoping for something like the battle in the BW2 trailer. Seriously, where are the high-level battles this season?

STICKTOPIA

how did i know oshawott was gonna pop out the pokeball instead of him sending it out lol. I knew herdier was gonna get him from behind. I wish the battle could have lasted longer though and I'd like to see oshawott win some more battles.

XXD17

Draco rex
Ehh...this was boring...introduced Cheren I guess...everything else was unexciting and predictable...the whole thing was basically meant to show Cheren as an insecure person but is truly deserving of his title as sensei and gym leader...Oshawott lost again...not surprised, don't really care...still Cilan should have used stunfisk to catch the ducklett...

Janovy

Banned
You make it sound as if he's being treated badly, when he's not. Like everyone keeps reminding me, he gets the most screen-time out of Ash's Pokemon with the obvious exception of Pikachu, and he has license to do pretty much anything he wants because that's what his audience desires. I find it really ironic that some fans are trying to make Oshawott seem like a Pokemon that's been abused by the writers when it fact its those same fans who are abusing him by bashing him for every little thing he does. Oh and why is it that Axew gets to do whatever he wants too, but unlike Oshawott, he rarely gets called out for his actions? I'm probably the only person here who commented on his lack of self control and maturity when he went and messed with the switches.
Because Axew doesn't do it all that often and even when he does, it's because he's still young.

What bothers me about Oshawott is, not only the constant screentime he gets, but also the fact that despite all those training episodes, he yet again manages to lose a battle. That's what bothers me. If he gets so much screentime, then at least make him a valuable member of Ash's team. Oshawott is here to sell merchandise, make funny expressions and people will love him for that despite the fact that he keeps losing. I dislike Oshawott for getting all that unnecessary screentime that could be given to other Pokémon. And I even more dislike him for being such a loser of a Pokémon. Funny face expressions don't make a good Pokémon. Hell, even Piplup was better handled than Oshawott.

vodor

Banned
I think it was OHKO. The writers really need to devote more time to battles because this battle was so rushed.

And everyone thought Cilan will show his Stunfisk. People even thought he was talking to that kid. Ha!

Unfortunately it too much ''Work'' for them .

Rohanator

I never really cared much for Cheren, but I thought he was alright here. They obviously would've had Ash lose regardless to show off Cheren's strength and I think Oshawott was the most realistic choice to lose. If Cheren would've quickly beaten any of Ash's other Unova Pokemon I would've been upset, but Oshawott can afford to lose in this manner. Not because of his battle record but because that's just the type of character he is. It wasn't even that rushed for a 1 vs 1. They clashed once in where Oshawott took some Take Down damage, then Oshawott showed off his electric resistance capabilities to Cheren but ultimately fell to a SE move after losing his weapon. Not even a OHKO.

Last edited:
As I just watched this, I thought it was a fun episode. Cheren was cool as an individual, but the battle should have been longer. I was worried throughout the whole episode, and my worries were right when the battle ended being all of 2 minutes. >.>

Haunter ゴースト

Rewatched the episode to try and change my opinion on things, i feel like the first 18 minutes and final 2 should be seperated in ratings:

-First 18 minutes, great episode = 7/10
-Final 2 minutes, destroys everything = 0.5/10

The 0.5 is for the attempted comedy aspect.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."

Personally I express my dislike to both Oshawott and Axew and I know you've seen it. No it's not as if Oshawott has been mistreated it's that fact that it's mishandled. There's a difference. All these two pokemon do is show up to be cute and that's a problem for both Ash and Iris, although this is about Oshawott so I'll leave Axew alone. The problem arises because Oshawott was a perfect candidate to be Ash's main starter this region ever since episode 2 ever since it started to stalk Ash. It was the course over the burst of his popularity that they decided to keep it as it is. They made it even worse when the writers decided for it to be Piplup's rival/buddy. Oshawott's battle record is not the best one. he even failed against Fire-Types throughout Unova. They make him lose some "important matches" and it doesn't help that they focused one entire episode to teach him to battle without his scalchop but still goes running for it. That's what caused him to fail here.

Haunter ゴースト

There are so many more reasons why Oshawott flopped besides what you detailed Tailow.

I don't think i'll ever shake off how much potential he had from his first few appearances and the difference from then to now. It's such a shame.

Kyrousa Izanami

The lazy noob
This episode was okay also It looks like the writers has to make Ash to scan every pokemon that he saw from other regions entire series I hope they quit doing that to him in X/Y Anime. I don't remember Ash winning unofficial battle in OS I can name two people in two series that Ash has not won in unofficial battle like: Agatha (AG), Palmer(DP). Now Ash loses to Cheren for the third time I believe who knows Ash will win unofficial battle or not.

Sprinter1988

I don't think it would have bothered me that Oshawott lost had there been more to the battle, and Oshawott's track record in battle been better. A longer and closer fight would have been better than what we got and would not have made Oshawott look quite so bad. Oshwott does not have to win every battle he's, but one win every now and again wouldn't go amiss. That so many people clearly expected Oshawott to lose says a lot, whether you like him or not.
I think the reason so many people have come to dislike Oshawott is because when he was caught, we all hoped that Ash would finally have the water-type equivalent of Charizard, Infernape and Sceptile. A water-type powerhouse is something that the writers still refuse do give to Ash, instead teasing us with Palpitoad and having Ash rarely use it.
Unfortunately Oshawott is infact becoming a cross between Dawn's Piplup and Misty's Psyduck: forever young, and a running gag that is rapidly losing its appeal.
As I said before, I get that Oshawott being kept in his base form is a merchandising thing (I don't like it, but I'll accept it) but surely the worst thing that can then be done is make Oshawott appear so bad. The writers porved years ago that a basic stage pokemon can still kick butt. Even though it was unevolved, Ash sending Bulbasaur into battle was something we looked forward to because we all knew that there was about to be a decent fight, win or lose. The same went for Squirtle. And then the likes of Buizel, Corphish, Gible, Totodile and Cyndaquil and Chimchar (before they evolved) we all knew that something good just might happen. With Oshawott, most of us just wait for him to faint so things can move on.
Oshawott is good as a character. Put him in battle and the result is inevitable.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
There are so many more reasons why Oshawott flopped besides what you detailed Tailow.

I don't think i'll ever shake off how much potential he had from his first few appearances and the difference from then to now. It's such a shame.

Um, what? When did Oshawott show potential in early BW? Oh yeah, he beat a Grass-type in the 6th episode, but I think everyone agrees that it was a DEM victory since ordinarily a Pokemon wouldn't have been able to deflect a Solarbeam attack with a shell. He was funny and marketable from the start, so I don't know where he showed great potential. And yeah, I realize that he got more victories in BW compared to BW2, but people seem to forget that he wasn't given that much battle screen-time in BW2 because of how many Pokemon Ash had and how the writers picked favorites like Krookodile, Pignite and Pikachu instead of letting the little Pokemon battle and train.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Omg.

I want Dento's map thing. He controls it with his fingers like a touch pad. I know everything's like a touch pad now but I want it.

And it can even geocache.

And omg Dento you and your cute little Tamaki moments...good god. Same motions, different words. XDD

J Ken

RAVE
Um, what? When did Oshawott show potential in early BW? Oh yeah, he beat a Grass-type in the 6th episode, but I think everyone agrees that it was a DEM victory since ordinarily a Pokemon wouldn't have been able to deflect a Solarbeam attack with a shell. He was funny and marketable from the start, so I don't know where he showed great potential. And yeah, I realize that he got more victories in BW compared to BW2, but people seem to forget that he wasn't given that much battle screen-time in BW2 because of how many Pokemon Ash had and how the writers picked favorites like Krookodile, Pignite and Pikachu instead of letting the little Pokemon battle and train.

He showed more heart and determination to get better in the first 32 episodes. Then it looked like he stopped caring after that.

Last edited:

Rohanator

Um, what? When did Oshawott show potential in early BW? Oh yeah, he beat a Grass-type in the 6th episode, but I think everyone agrees that it was a DEM victory since ordinarily a Pokemon wouldn't have been able to deflect a Solarbeam attack with a shell.

That was part of his potential, being shown to have special defensive abilities utilizing the scallchop. Though that was still shown in this episode and sort of undermined by the fact that Kotetsu's Samurott does the exact same thing. Although maybe it's still considered special that an Oshawott can do it before fully evolving.