• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

There's a New Gym Leader in Town! (772)

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Overall, I did not care for this episode. Cheren had a pretty cookie-cutter personality and interactions and actions.

The battle was rushed, Mijumaru was made out to be a joke. I admit, maybe I jumped the gun a bit before on Mijumaru. It's not like he's been in favorable battling conditions when he loses, I mean he lost to Bel's Daddy's Hihidaruma which is a Pokemon he had since his youth, he lost to Baoppu just to show off how Pod had become more competent, he wasn't going to beat a fully-evolved Dragon in the Isshu League, and this episode he lost to show off that Cheren was a competent new Gym Leader. But, still, how does he go from tanking moves left and right in the League to being beaten by one Thunder Fang from a Haderia? Not to mention it seems like all the development he got to learn to battle without his hotachi has now gone to the gutter and he never actually utilized any of it. He has Aqua Jet, Hydro Pump, and Tackle too which would have more than sufficed. I'm a huge Mijumaru fan so it sucks to see him portrayed this way, losing in a comedic fashion no less. It seems like whenever he wants to battle or is cocky/confident he gets checked rather easily. I guess it's not the first time a Water-type has had a few loses in a row, like Buoysel back in DP. The writers went to the trouble of having this battle being in the opening and it was complete poo. I also think it's kinda weird we see Cheren and Satoshi battling in a cathedral with N in the group but that wasn't the case at all this episode.

Squirtle_007

Overall, I did not care for this episode. Cheren had a pretty cookie-cutter personality and interactions and actions.

The battle was rushed, Mijumaru was made out to be a joke. I admit, maybe I jumped the gun a bit before on Mijumaru. It's not like he's been in favorable battling conditions when he loses, I mean he lost to Bel's Daddy's Hihidaruma which is a Pokemon he had since his youth, he lost to Baoppu just to show off how Pod had become more competent, he wasn't going to beat a fully-evolved Dragon in the Isshu League, and this episode he lost to show off that Cheren was a competent new Gym Leader. But, still, how does he go from tanking moves left and right in the League to being beaten by one Thunder Fang from a Haderia? Not to mention it seems like all the development he got to learn to battle without his hotachi has now gone to the gutter and he never actually utilized any of it. He has Aqua Jet, Hydro Pump, and Tackle too which would have more than sufficed. I'm a huge Mijumaru fan so it sucks to see him portrayed this way, losing in a comedic fashion no less. It seems like whenever he wants to battle or is cocky/confident he gets checked rather easily. I guess it's not the first time a Water-type has had a few loses in a row, like Buoysel back in DP. The writers went to the trouble of having this battle being in the opening and it was complete poo. I also think it's kinda weird we see Cheren and Satoshi battling in a cathedral with N in the group but that wasn't the case at all this episode.

This.

People always defends Torterra´s mediocre and shameful battle record with excuses like "It was attacked with Ice Punch" or "It was against an Elite Four Member", but Oshawott just loses because he´s weak/pathethic/a joke, ahhhh the hypocrisy (-_-)

Kokatsu

The little guy relies too much on his shell

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
OMG this episode was adorable!! X33

I thought it was boring at first but gjsjsjjdjdjdjd

Dento frickn winked at the Ducklett! It was so cute and then that awesome moment where he did that semi-evil ish laugh and then hugging Yanappu!!

The little kids were sweet too. Looks like they thought it was their fault D;

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
This.

People always defends Torterra´s mediocre and shameful battle record with excuses like "It was attacked with Ice Punch" or "It was against an Elite Four Member", but Oshawott just loses because he´s weak/pathethic/a joke, ahhhh the hypocrisy (-_-)
What hypocrisy? Torterra fought far stronger opponents then Oshawott has, that's the truth if you'd look clearly enough.

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
The point is bash and whine about the season just because is Best Wishes (-_-)
I can almost see the posts if Oshawott won the match:
- DEM BS
- They made Cheren look weak just like they did with Marlon
- Oshawott is overpowered
- A bad written battle

Whatever the result was, people will still Bash and Whine just because the season it is

THIS. Thank you. I didn't like this particular episode either, but the screamfest over just one thing in it is ridiculous and clearly just another showing of anti-BW bias in this fandumb.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I'm going to complain about Oshawott losing because I certainly wouldn't have if he won.

So let me get this straight. Ash loses the Hoenn league and then gets invited to a prestigious league where he gets to battle seven top trainers that are on the level of Elite Fours and perhaps even Champions. He manages to beat all seven and gets a job offer to become one. In contrast, Ash loses the Unova League, fights a new gym leader and loses. Wow.

Squirtle_007

What hypocrisy? Torterra fought far stronger opponents then Oshawott has, that's the truth if you'd look clearly enough.

See?, the point of all this is to justify Torterra just because is a fully evolved Pokémon from the Holy Grial season, and just because Oshawott is a basic stage Pokémon from the Bash & Whine season, it´s weak/pathetic/a joke.

Darmanitan & Electivire are mostly the same stats wise, but I don´t know what makes Electivire stronger than Darmanitan when it was stated that Bianca´s Dad had Darmanitan since forever, being his travel partner when he made his journey.

Hippowdon had Fire Fang, so what?, Torterra had Leaf Storm.
Hydreigon has always been portrayed as a strong Pokémon no matter who uses it, saying that Oshawott is weak just for losing against Hydreigon is just hate towards Cameron (-_-).

d4rk_tailed

Doritoes,Leaf Storm!
Tell me, what do you think the sales of Johto starters plushes look like nowadays, compared to back in the day?

Erm.........guess they arent selling? I genuinely have no idea.

I should have made my assertion clearer though: I can't remember any of Ashs Pokemon losing quality both on- and off-screen when its on the main roster. Sorry mate, my bad.

Besides, Id assume the Johto starters still shift pretty well? They werent particularly memorable then but theyve had some recent memorable cameos in Sinnoh. Whereas Oshawott comes out to fight and loses. Stays off-screen and it gets overtaken by the Unova squad members.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
THIS. Thank you. I didn't like this particular episode either, but the screamfest over just one thing in it is ridiculous and clearly just another showing of anti-BW bias in this fandumb.

While I am also bothered by the rampant Oshawott bashing, I think it's really unfair to say that only BW haters are complaining.

Anyway, I knew this would happen. Just one look in the old episode thread told me what would happen if Oshawott lost, but I also knew that he would be bashed even if he did win (although not as much). Oshawott can never appease the fanbase, which is sad. And for the first time in a long time, I don't blame the writers. They made it crystal clear that Oshawott was never meant to be a powerful battler. He's won about half of his matches, but that's as good as it'll get. I wish people wouldn't make Oshawott's loss out to be a bad thing.

LizardonX

Banned
I think we should get something straight here. No one is bashing oahawott on the grounds of the fact that this show is BW. People bash oshawott for hogging too much screentime, for being a weak and incompetent battler, and for being cute at the expnse of power. Not BW centric. Besides squirtle is the last person on this entire board who should be talking about hypocrisy.

p96822

Evolve me please
Really I don't see what wrong with this episode. I liked it because Cheren was an okay character like N and the battle maybe rushed, but it make sense when you think about it hard enough. Oshawott lost because he was hit by a super effective move and that makes sense. Take Down is stonger then Tackle. And my reasons why the battle was quick and easy. Axew is still a kid when you think about it and little kids may do something like that.

Axew: I want to play!
Pikachu: No Axew we have to go now.
Axew: I want to play
Pikachu: Axew you Baka

Last edited:

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
See?, the point of all this is to justify Torterra just because is a fully evolved Pokémon from the Holy Grial season, and just because Oshawott is a basic stage Pokémon from the Bash & Whine season, it´s weak/pathetic/a joke.

Darmanitan & Electivire are mostly the same stats wise, but I don´t know what makes Electivire stronger than Darmanitan when it was stated that Bianca´s Dad had Darmanitan since forever, being his travel partner when he made his journey.

Hippowdon had Fire Fang, so what?, Torterra had Leaf Storm.
Hydreigon has always been portrayed as a strong Pokémon no matter who uses it, saying that Oshawott is weak just for losing against Hydreigon is just hate towards Cameron (-_-).
Right, because it's always about you and complaining... nobodies allowed to have a negative opinion about how Best Wishes is being treated. You like it that's fine, but don't think everyone has to follow your twisted logic of liking garbage writing, because it is, there's no reason for Ash to be this bad 5 regions in :p I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna just sit here and accept what I'm being given, but I'm too good a fan to just flat out quit.

What's possessing you to think Ash was gonna beat an Elite 4 member... if Pikachu couldn't beat Agatha's Gengar and Grovyle couldn't beat Drake's Altaria. There was no way Torterra or any of Ash's other Pokemon (new and old) were gonna beat Bertha's Hippowdon. As for Electivire and Darmanitan, both of those loses were acceptable. Even if Hydreigon is portrayed as strong, Oshawott should never have been called out against it in the beginning, or are you being the hypocrite, because as far as I recall, you love basic stage Pokemon. If they're as powerful as you say they are, then Oshawott should have won regardless, as it had early momentum as I said.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I think we should get something straight here. No one is bashing oahawott on the grounds of the fact that this show is BW. People bash oshawott for hogging too much screentime, for being a weak and incompetent battler, and for being cute at the expnse of power. Not BW centric. Besides squirtle is the last person on this entire board who should be talking about hypocrisy.

As for the part in bold, again, how does this surprise anyone? We knew pretty much from the get-go that Oshawott's only real purpose in the main cast was to be cute enough to sell merchandise. He was never made it out to be a great battler except for the times when it was convenient for Ash, like when Oshawott beat Pansage. That's pretty much all there is to Oshawott, so I don't know why anyone expected anything else from him. Like really, he's been in the main cast for more than two years. We know him inside and out.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
As for the part in bold, again, how does this surprise anyone? We knew pretty much from the get-go that Oshawott's only real purpose in the main cast was to be cute enough to sell merchandise. He was never made it out to be a great battler except for the times when it was convenient for Ash, like when Oshawott beat Pansage. That's pretty much all there is too Oshawott, so I don't know why anyone expected anything else from him. Like really, he's been in the main cast for more than two years. We know him inside and out.

That still doesn't make that right. People are still allowed to dislike how Oshawott is treated.