• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

There's a New Gym Leader in Town! (772)

cg19293

It was a decent episode. I'm glad that Ash finally put the hypocrite Iris in her place. The "gym" battle was good until they rehashed Oshowatt's scalchop obsession. Pretty lame way for such a promising battle to end.

Ellis

サトセレ結婚
Great episode, was great to see Cheren! Plus I loved the bit where Ash called Iris a kid, that made my entire life there. The brief exchange of pars was quite funny to watch. I wonder if we'll see Cheren again?

Ash&Pikachu-Fan

Pika-Speed
Well, I like this episode its pretty good I guess! Oh and the Aspertia City's gym should of still been shown on the map.

So I like Cheren, he seems really nice! I also like how Ash is wanting to battle him but he's not feeling like he's ready 'cause of being a new gym leader and Cilan noticing that was pretty cool too. Lol, Ash is calling Iris a kid now. XD

Oh yeah, I found the scenes with Ash, Iris and Cilan chasing all of those Pokemon running around really funny too! I thought the battle was all right, kinda short but its cool to see Ash vs Cheren anyway and while Oshawott lost, I found him really funny the all the way through!

Anyway, its nice to Cheren appearing but now Ash and co are off again! So yeah, its a good episode I really like it! I can't wait for the next episode!! I'll give it a 7.5/10 as most of it is fine but its too bad Oshawott lost.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I loved that Ash called Iris a kid. I think Cheren's voice suits him. I thought it was weird that Cheren hugged Shinx to make him stop using Thunder like Ash does to Pikachu sometimes.

matt0044

I thought it was weird that Cheren hugged Shinx to make him stop using Thunder like Ash does to Pikachu sometimes.

Hugs make everything better.

NPT

Just a member
This an OK episode in my opinion. It's good to Cheren in the anime, I liked how he wanted to teach the kids about Pokémon.
Axew was causing trouble in this episode AGAIN and this time Pikachu got into the mess too. Geez, I hate it when he does that, Iris should've kept an eye on her Axew. It's cool how Ash found the Sunflora by using his Pokédex.
The battle between Ash and Cheren was disappointing, he should've chosen any other Pokémon instead of Oshawott.

The best part of the episode was Ash calling Iris a kid. it's good to see Ash giving Iris a taste of her own joke.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Hah, my favorite part of this episode had to be where the twerps were rounding up all the school's pokemon. Pansage getting mad at Cilan and Iris stuffing minccinos in a soup pot were hilarious. :) I also like Cilan sharing his memories of being a gym leader. I also liked Ash calling Iris a kid.

7/10

Seeing Ash battle Cheren makes me wish we could have seen him do an exhibition battle against Marlon. He battled against Roxie, as well. A shame he didn't complete the triangle and battle him too.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Yay Cheren finally got his debut in this episode. I liked seeing Ash's group all help out with finding the missing pokemon at the school as well as how Cheren and Ash battled. It's just too bad that Oshawott lost ha ha.

Leonhart

Imagineer
So Satoshi and friends made it to Hiougi City and visited Cheren's Gym, which was a nice detour, but I didn't understand the need for Satoshi to challenge Hiougi's Gym when he didn't need Gym Badges. Herderrier versus Mijumaru was a fun match though, but once again, Iris's unruly Kibago ran off on his own.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
If Cheren would've quickly beaten any of Ash's other Unova Pokemon I would've been upset, but Oshawott can afford to lose in this manner. Not because of his battle record but because that's just the type of character he is.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Oshawott losing the way he did was bad. Him desperately running over to retrieve his scallop when he has moves like Aqua Jet and Hydro Pump he could had used in that situation shows how little he's learned from his frequent losses.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Oshawott losing the way he did was bad. Him desperately running over to retrieve his scallop when he has moves like Aqua Jet and Hydro Pump he could had used in that situation shows how little he's learned from his frequent losses.

Eh, he was gonna lose to Cheren no matter what. Him losing in such a funny manner was better than him trying his best and still getting the loss IMO.

Leonhart

Imagineer

Mijumaru was weak in general, which makes me question if the writers only had Satoshi use him against Cheren since he was the Best Wishes "fall guy" by default, and could take the loss with no consequences.

Too bad Ash lost against Cheren, but I liked this episode. I liked Cheren not being comfortable with his new position as Gym Leader yet and I liked seeing him as the instructor type. His VA was not what I thought it would be though. I say this with happiness of course, because in the games I always felt as though Cheren came off a bit snotty so to speak. Another reason why I liked this version of Cheren more.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I now wonder why we didn't see Bel appear here given that in the games she was one of Cheren's childhood friends, which I'd have liked to see in the anime.

Daizy

I call you honey
Saw Oshawott losing a mile away because he always loses lol. Why does it seem like the writers are so obsessed on making him into Piplup 2.0. Cheren was different from what I expected, but I still liked the episode.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Daizy said:
Saw Oshawott losing a mile away because he always loses lol. Why does it seem like the writers are so obsessed on making him into Piplup 2.0. Cheren was different from what I expected, but I still liked the episode.

In Mijumaru's defense, he wasn't that irksome here. He normally pops up to cause a few chuckles and rarely contributes to the action, yet he did battle here at least even if the skirmish he was involved in didn't end in his favor.

SUNFLORA CAMOUFLAGING IN THE SUNFLOWERS SO WHOLESOME I LOVE
WHO'S THAT POKEMON ITS SUNFLORA!!!!!!!!!
As for Oshawott losing, I love him but he's pretty weak. However, he is supposed to be a gag Pokémon. I just wish he got more wins.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
The battle was looking good at first. On one hand I’m glad Cheren won, on the other hand could Oshawott not lose so easily? lol. It was also a crime to not have Bianca meet Cheren.