• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

There's No Place Like Hoenn! (279)

P

PokeTrainer7783

It's kind of interesting to see how they mix in Ash and Misty's characters into May's. I mean May being the replacement for Misty is now the one having the fights with Ash. Although I think she's more tolerant of Ash then Misty was. and they have May starting out the exact same way Ash did when he first started on his journey. It's kind of interesting in the beginning Misty was the one with the experience in Pokemon. Now Ash is the one teaching someone else how to catch a Pokemon. Just goes to show how much Ash has grown in the past couple years. and his new look just adds to it. and May's bike is totally fried although she takes it more in stride then Misty did.

Anikin

Rebel
Yea, thats why I hate misty. Anyway the last Advanceshipping hint here was cute.

Ashy Boy

Paul's #1 Rival
That episode is one of the worst Hoenn episodes ever. Max's cocky attitude and the gung-ho attitude of May's parents really ticked me off.

the best episode and the has the best team roket theme ;476; ;412; ;444; ;464; ;485; ;475; ;442; ;474; ;484; ;388; ;388; ;420; :172bros: ;483; :025n172:

e.g. of a team roket theme http://www.angelfire.com/ar/pokefan/images/trfashion.wav !!!!!!!!sorry this will not work!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Hat?

This is something that occured to me a while ago...

Think back, if you will, to the episode in the first season where Ash meets his Primape. Primape, at first, steals his hat and Ash freaks out. He has a panic attack and goes on to explain how special the hat was,"how only a few of them had ever been won or sold, or something like that..."

Yet in this episode"or the one before it", he willingly trades in that hat for the new one, without even noticing at all. As far as I know, that new hat had no meaning at all.
Why would he always freak out in the past if it even left his head for a second, just to end up leaving it at home?;
"Sorry, it was the previous episode, but regardless..."
149;

Last edited:

JONNO.FRESH

I dunno y. Why dont u ask the writters?

Anyway an alright epi. Could of been a lot better.

Some_Random_Person

Abort, Retry, Fail?
I like this episode, I thought Ash was being a lot smarter by warning the others about the pitfalls. Max calling Ash 'Alf' was funny too! I wonder what would happen if Team Rocket decided to take May's Torhchic away...

Yah man this episode was funny. I don't like Max but he was ok here. I laughed every time he called Ash name wrong, loved Ash expressions when Max did. And when Ash warned every one about Team Rockets traps, too funny.

Max's debut appearance was pretty good, with him pretending to be the gym leader. I loved Ash's reaction when Max thought Ash lost in the second round when he really lost in the second round of the finals. It was cute when May blushed when Ash guessed the gym leader was her boyfriend. The battle between Vigoroth and Pikachu was okay, it could have gon better.

Battra

I great episode even though I don't really care for Max in the series or when he joined the gang at the end of the episode I think he did get a nice introduction in this episode. Max was really annoying in this episode harassing Ash about the Silver Conference until Ash demonstrated his skill in his battle with Norman, also got a laugh out of Torchic attacking Max the first time and seeing Ash with a sarcastic smile on his face that really made the scene all the much better. I like May's parents they really get developed in this and later episodes as a very close family one of the few we see in the main series for the main characters.

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
My copy of this one is sans subtitles, thus allowing me to focus much more on the voice work and the animation. There are a lot of great poses and cycles in this one - a few of the sequences that stood out:

- Haruka hemming and hawing on the playground trying to avoid the subject of the Touka Gym
- Satoshi's reaction to Masato reminding him of how he lost the Jouto league
- Masato getting attacked by Achamo (any of the times it happened)
- Musashi and Kojirou taunting Haruka shortly after reciting their motto
- Masato trying to find clues regarding the Rocket-dan's whereabouts, then throwing a tantrum after Haruka hits him in the head

And the Pikachu vs. Yarukimono battle was pretty well-drawn too. Solid poses and movements all around.

I've mentioned before how Haruka is one of my favorite characters, but I like the rest of her family too. Senri and Mitsuki aren't too well-defined at this point, but they do show signs of the likeable personalities they'll show in their return appearances. And Masato is my idea of a lovable brat, the type who talks big but doesn't have any of the skills to back up his claims. His trait of actually enjoying being attacked by Pokémon is good for a laugh, too.

This episode sets up a plot thread that doesn't really get resolved - Haruka's badge case. In future episodes, I don't recall Haruka ever telling Senri that she decided to become a coordinator instead of a trainer, and I think it would have made an interesting episode to see her struggle with the notion of letting her father down in his hopes of passing the gym leader job onto one of his kids. I can't figure out why they never played this up...

Cobalt_Latios

This is something that occured to me a while ago...

Think back, if you will, to the episode in the first season where Ash meets his Primape. Primape, at first, steals his hat and Ash freaks out. He has a panic attack and goes on to explain how special the hat was,"how only a few of them had ever been won or sold, or something like that..."

Yet in this episode"or the one before it", he willingly trades in that hat for the new one, without even noticing at all. As far as I know, that new hat had no meaning at all.
Why would he always freak out in the past if it even left his head for a second, just to end up leaving it at home?;
"Sorry, it was the previous episode, but regardless..."
149;
You do realize that the writers were counting a lapse of about 4 seasons to hopefully "forget" about miniscule details like the forementioned. Kind of like how they're able to make characters simply forget things even happened, despite the fact that they have in fact occurred.

And Ash's wardrobe change was merely to help him look... mature in a way.

It's been quite a while since I've even seen this episode, but some rather new post have made me take a look back at this.

I have to say, for only being about 5-6 episodes since the Silver Conference, the writers were awfully quick in bringing it back up. The choice of character to make that reference makes it funny as hell though.

The classic sibling relationship between May and Max is one of the few things that remains consistent for most of Advanced/AC/AB. BF not as much. I still like how his attitude as a smart guy attitude tends to make him very curious just the same; living it really isn't the same as actually experiencing it.

There's one thing that I noticed about the few episodes between his departure from Kanto, to his first Sinnoh capture; he's so used to calling upon certain Pokemon, that it's become second nature. This changed in Sinnoh obviously, which shows that he become accustomed to a different style, and that the writing is also changed as well.

And last, if not least was something that I just now realized was somewhat similar to another Kanto episode: When Ash goes to challenge the Petalburg gym, but as it turns out, it isn't the first gym, May leaves early on. It then turns out that she is in fact Norman's daughter (and those who played the games as a girl obviously knew that in advance). The same sort of thing happens with Misty, albeit it turns out that she is the Gym Leader (or at least in the games...).

Not a bad episode, really starts thing off and gets you ready for what's to come ('course, the badge case May gets won't be lasting too long...), and introduces everyone to... well, almost everyone.

edit: let me be clear, I am talking about the dub, alright.

~C_K~

Tadashi

kiss my greens
I can explain that, in the Japanese version, Ember is called Hinoko (literal:child of fire). May in the original told her Torchic to use Kinoko (Mushroom). So it's a visual pun...that 4Kids tried to get around. They have that as an avatar now you know!

That makes actual sense now... I don't think 4Kids got around it very well, though ^^;

Oh man, Max was so weird. He was like... some strange fanboy. But I liked the way he & Ash argued. Good friends, there ^^

Good episode overall ^^

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
I very much liked this episode. Max was funny and I loved when Ash got the sarcastic smile on his face, he looked so funny!