• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"They Wasted A Perfectly Good Pokemon" Thread

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
A lot of Ash's bird Pokemon tend to suffer. They usually have an okay-ish battle run, but they tend to fail to develop them personality wise and often keep them out of the interaction scenes.

BW and XY subverted it for a while by giving both birds goofier personalities, but inevitably when the bird curse couldn't demote and genericify them, the usual evolution did. SM didn't give Ash or any main character the regional bird at all, though ironically the more minor appearances of the Pikipek line arguably had more personality than some of the main birds.

I still wish Ash had caught a Pikipek in Sun and Moon and evolved it into Toucannon. I love that bird and since Rowlet was a complete waste of space Ash kinda deserved a different Flying type.

Leonhart

Imagineer
DatsRight said:
A lot of Ash's bird Pokemon tend to suffer. They usually have an okay-ish battle run, but they tend to fail to develop them personality wise and often keep them out of the interaction scenes.

BW and XY subverted it for a while by giving both birds goofier personalities, but inevitably when the bird curse couldn't demote and genericify them, the usual evolution did. SM didn't give Ash or any main character the regional bird at all, though ironically the more minor appearances of the Pikipek line arguably had more personality than some of the main birds.

Mokuroh at least subverted the pattern of bland bird Pokemon personalities. I do agree that Satoshi's bird Pokemon are extremely boring overall, but I attribute that to birds not being very expressive in general, so the writers probably didn't know how to handle their personalities in the anime for the most part. It's funny to me though, because that wild Onidrill from Kanto that fought Pigeot seemed like one of the most expressive bird Pokemon we had seen up to that point, yet Satoshi didn't capture it despite trying to.

Blastmaster

Was Pidove ever a subversion? I always remember it being the most infamous of Ash's Pokemon for having absolutely no personality.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Blastmaster said:
Was Pidove ever a subversion? I always remember it being the most infamous of Ash's Pokemon for having absolutely no personality.

I have to agree that she didn't have much personality, and to me the only thing that stood out about her was that she was Satoshi's first confirmed female bird Pokemon. That said, I thought she was still handled relatively well all things considered.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Pidove was just average in general. It had no real battle strength, special talents or attributes, or definitive personality that made it unique. Pidgeot was Ash’s first Flying Type and had a strong bond with Ash and protective of others. Noctowl was Shiny, highly intelligent for its kind, and had useful moves to handle different types of Pokémon. Swellow was bold, protective of its friends, and had very fast and strong battling skills that very few Pokémon could rival. Staraptor was one of Ash's strongest Pokémon in Sinnoh and was very reliable in battle. Talonflame was Ash’s strongest Flying Type, had powerful moves, and was super fast. Noivern was raised and fully trained from an Egg and had a close bond with Ash. Hawlucha had some impressive aerial attacks and speed. And Rowlet was the cute companion Pokémon that liked to sleep in a bag which is a quirk that gave it some appeal. I’m not including Charizard because it is mainly used as a Fire Type by Ash.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Pidove was just average in general. It had no real battle strength, special talents or attributes, or definitive personality that made it unique. Pidgeot was Ash’s first Flying Type and had a strong bond with Ash and protective of others. Noctowl was Shiny, highly intelligent for its kind, and had useful moves to handle different types of Pokémon. Swellow was bold, protective of its friends, and had very fast and strong battling skills that very few Pokémon could rival. Staraptor was one of Ash's strongest Pokémon in Sinnoh and was very reliable in battle. Talonflame was Ash’s strongest Flying Type, had powerful moves, and was super fast. Noivern was raised and fully trained from an Egg and had a close bond with Ash. Hawlucha had some impressive aerial attacks and speed. And Rowlet was the cute companion Pokémon that liked to sleep in a bag which is a quirk that gave it some appeal. I’m not including Charizard because it is mainly used as a Fire Type by Ash.

I beg to differ about Talonflame. It did well especially against Moltres but I still consider Swellow to be the most powerful bird that Ash has owned. Swellow could tank atomic bombs and still come out fighting.

Scorbunnie

Totodile was a big waste because after Ash and Misty battled to decide who would keep it Ash won but didn't put Totodile to good use with just a couple of exceptions like the whirl cup tournament and a couple of smaller episodes.

Misty should've been given Totodile instead because it would suit her goal.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Scorbunnie said:
Totodile was a big waste because after Ash and Misty battled to decide who would keep it Ash won but didn't put Totodile to good use with just a couple of exceptions like the whirl cup tournament and a couple of smaller episodes.

Misty should've been given Totodile instead because it would suit her goal.

Although I did think that Waninoko was somewhat ignored in Jouto, I wouldn't have wanted Kasumi to get it because in hindsight, her team wasn't exactly that well-developed either. So Waninoko probably wouldn't have been in better hands.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Jigglypuff being captured would ruin its gag
Jigglypuff just wanted people to listen to it sing not battle. In fact the only time we’ve ever seen it using actual moves other than Sing was in Clefairy Tales against the Flower Clefairy. It did push the Igglybuff Twins down but that was a shove and not Tackle.

Leonhart

Imagineer
SerGoldenhandtheJust said:
Totodile wasn't ignored, but his battling prowess sure was. It kinda sucks he's the only unevolved johto starter. He deserves better to just be an oshawott

Waninoko got regular appearances, but mostly in battles involving the Rocket-dan, or appearances where he'd mostly just dance around in a jolly manner. At the very least, he should've evolved once.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Scorbunnie said:
I think Lillie should have gotten Jigglypuff since she could've used a second Pokemon in Sun and Moon before she got Magearna.

I was on board with that scenario during the SM saga since I thought that Purin and Lilie would've made a good team. I eventually dropped that theory and moved on to wanting Lilie to get a Pippi instead, but I do feel that Purin should've been captured by someone by now.