• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in media that scared you as a kid.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
There was this one show that I've completely forgotten the name of, but I remember my mum telling me that there was a dog in it that scared me for no reason. It was an old kids show involving this old woman and her dog, and I can't remember but I think it involved planes? My mind is kinda fuzzy about it.

Do you mean courage the cowardly dog lol?? A woman and her husband and their dog and they always ended up in weird scary situations and the husband hated the dog and always tried to scare him.

Opassa

Tunne susi rakasta
used to watch this show i never see anyone talk about these days. it was called candle cove and it gave me some of the weirdest vibes as a kid

also honestly, missingno and related gen 1 pokemon glitches have always been uncomfortable to me too. being like 8 years old and playing r/b in 99, something about the way those games try to correct their own glitches unsettles me a little bit to this day - i was doing a 151 run in adulthood for fun, back in like 2011?, and i accidentally found an M after trading for tangela on cinnabar and starting to surf towards seafoam. i had completely forgot you could find him that way and i had a panic attack lol

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
From the Simpsons alone. (Descending order.)

1. The clown bed skit. This lead to the line, "Can't sleep, clown will eat me." (This one mostly.)
2. The beginning of the episode where Homer wanders into a room with a skeleton in it.
3. The scene with a crudely drawn woman drawn by the kids that Skinner pictures as Patty.

Whenever Are you afraid of the Dark? was coming on, I would change the channel because the opening scared me.
Now that I've actually watched it and I'm older, the show really isn't that scary.

You know it's funny, I loved that show when I was younger but there was a specific part in the opening that I closed my eyes for - there was this creepy clown doll on the cieling fan that scared me more than anything in the actual show. Weird, right?

Honestly, there wasn't much that scared me as a kid. At age six my mom worked full time as a nurse and my grandmother babysat me with movies and didn't really pay attention to the videos I pulled from her shelf. Apparently, granny really had a thing for horror and I did too, I was aquainted with all the badies by age seven - Chucky, Freddy Krueger, Candyman, etc. None of them really bothered me that much. The only 90's horror figure that really scared the piss out of me and gave me nightmares until I was 12 was Michael Myers from the Halloween series. I'd sketch myself out and see his face in the stucco on my cieling or in the folds of my curtains.

As far as videogames go, I loved watching my uncle play resident evil two. The only part that scared me to death is toward the beginning when you're walking through a hallway and the guy has some spit drop on him from the cieling, coming from this zombie thing with a ridiculously long tongue.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
For some reason I used to be mildly afraid of Goldar from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. As an adult, however, I think he's absolutely hilarious.

I actually didn't watch much TV growing up, so I didn't really get scared by anything with that or movies for that matter. Like Glaceona suggested, though, the scarab beetles in The Mummy scared the living daylights out of me- especially the very concept of them gettin under your skin. The very concept terrified me when I was a kid. Really grossed me out, too.

No, most of my fears came from video games. Ironically, most come from The Legend of Zelda. The moon from Majora's Mask is an obvious pick for the one I feared most- that face haunted my dreams. There was also a time I had to mute the TV whenever I was facing ReDeads, because their moans always kind of scared me (I blame the time in OoT when I ran into some in a pit without realising they were there until it was too late). Then there's the weird one- in OoT, I was afraid of the fiery ring around Death Mountain when you're an adult. It confuses me too.

Outside of those, I had two other notable fears. The first was in Pikmin 2- and you've already probably guessed that it was the Waterwraith. I loved the game, but I could never make myself take my time in the Submerged Castle for fear of running into it. Then I actually tried it pretty recently, and learnt it was basically a joke. The second is one that still haunts me today- the unseen force from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I don't know why, but it's a thing that just always terrifies me. I don't think it'd be so bad if there was something behind it- some kind of superboss or something. Yet it's just wind, apparently, and for some reason, I find it really chilling. I find it hard to relax while playing PMD because of its constant presence.

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
Haven't gotten over them, but the Chucky movies still scare me lol. Its how I pretty much got a fear of dolls :C

And of course I used to be scared of the statue/clone of Link from Majora's Mask. It's the reason I refuse to play Majora's Mask (besides the three day limit). It's not as scary to see anymore, but I can't really stare at that face for long. It's unnerving, but little me no like.

That close up of the butterfly in the SpongeBob episode Wormy. I've watched the Season 2 DVD so many times but even recently I skipped that episode cause the thing freaked me out, even tho I'm sure it's nothing nowadays.

xEryChan

Demon Child
When I was in the 8th grade, one of my teacher's showed us the movie Arachnophobia and that movie literally scared the living daylights out of me. I remember walking into my next class and checking to see if there were any spiders in the classroom. That movie is the reason why I am afraid spiders to this day.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
When I was in the 8th grade, one of my teacher's showed us the movie Arachnophobia and that movie literally scared the living daylights out of me. I remember walking into my next class and checking to see if there were any spiders in the classroom. That movie is the reason why I am afraid spiders to this day.
That sounds mean of the teacher. What class did they teach? Yoiks.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The temple guards from the legend of the hidden temple scared me to where I would skip that part of the show.

Also, the Rugrats episodes where they think there is a monster under the bed (it turns out to be a sweater, but did I get that far?).
- It was mostly when Angelica was telling the Rugrats a fake news story about a monster that dragged a child under the bed.

xEryChan

Demon Child
That sounds mean of the teacher. What class did they teach? Yoiks.

I honestly don't even remember, it was so long ago. I believe he was my science Teacher but I remember it was the day before a vacation and not a lot of teachers were making us work.

Last edited:

TheEmeraldKnight

Lookin' for Shinies
The aliens from Mars Attacks and the Blob. I remember watching those movies and not having a problem during but then being scared of them after words.

Zach8920

I guess media extends to video games, so I guess I'll take part.

Pikmin dying scared me a lot to the point where I couldn't really play the game. Whenever those 'things' ate the Pikmin it always spooked me out.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I remember when I was like 6 or 7, there was this movie called Don't Look Under the Bed. I think it was Disney's first 'proper' horror movie, while still being for kids, it was pretty unnerving coming from cutesy animated fare like Toy Story or The Jungle Book. It was more like the Goosebumps books and TV series in terms of scariness, but the part that frightened little me the most was

The villain rapidly ageing to an old woman when they're being electrocuted by the kid heroes.

At least that's what I remember seeing, but thinking about it still frightens me today. :(

There was this one show that I've completely forgotten the name of, but I remember my mum telling me that there was a dog in it that scared me for no reason. It was an old kids show involving this old woman and her dog, and I can't remember but I think it involved planes? My mind is kinda fuzzy about it.

You're probably thinking about Come Outside. It was a British kids' TV show in the 90s where a woman flew in a plane with her dog Pippin. The BBC was showing it as recently as 2012 on the CBeebies channel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_Outside

From the Simpsons alone. (Descending order.)

1. The clown bed skit. This lead to the line, "Can't sleep, clown will eat me." (This one mostly.)
2. The beginning of the episode where Homer wanders into a room with a skeleton in it.
3. The scene with a crudely drawn woman drawn by the kids that Skinner pictures as Patty.

Some Simpsons episodes scared me when I was younger, especially the Halloween episodes and the ones where they have bad dreams. I remember one where Bart was having a nightmare where he was going to get fried in the electric chair, and there was a huge mob outside calling for him to be killed. Homer was in the mob, and he was chanting "Kill my boy! Kill my boy!" That just frightened me so much, and I know it was just a nightmare, but it upset me greatly because I couldn't understand why a parent would willingly want their children to be killed.

Another one I remember is that Halloween episode where Bart and Lisa find out the Springfield Elementary school cafeteria is actually a huge meat-processing factory, which uses kids as meat, and towards the end they're about to fall into the grinder. Just as they hit the blades, they find out it too was just a nightmare.

Nowadays they seem pretty tame compared to some contemporary horror movies, and some of the Halloween episodes are actually pretty humorous, like that one where Bart is the raven from the Edgar Allan Poe poem. But back then I was used to cutesy cartoon characters who never 'died' or got seriously injured, and The Simpsons kind of shocked me back then.

Last edited:
You're probably thinking about Come Outside. It was a British kids' TV show in the 90s where a woman flew in a plane with her dog Pippin. The BBC was showing it as recently as 2012 on the CBeebies channel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_Outside

Yes! I remember it now! I still don't know why the dog scared me, especially since I've loved dogs all my life.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Another one I remember is that Halloween episode where Bart and Lisa find out the Springfield Elementary school cafeteria is actually a huge meat-processing factory, which uses kids as meat, and towards the end they're about to fall into the grinder. Just as they hit the blades, they find out it too was just a nightmare.
That was frightening. I don't think it left a serious impact on me though. It was scary as its own deal, but I wasn't mortified about it from what I remember.

I don't think the "crude Patty" scene was that nightmare inducing either. The clown bed made me flee when I saw the couch gag though.

Also, I dislike the "Simpsons go to hell" epsiodes that aren't Halloween specials. I find them very unsettling, like the one that had the biblical dreams in it. Also, "Highway to Hell" by ACDC is becoming cliched as hell (get it?).

Nowadays they seem pretty tame compared to some contemporary horror movies, and some of the Halloween episodes are actually pretty humorous, like that one where Bart is the raven from the Edgar Allan Poe poem. But back then I was used to cutesy cartoon characters who never 'died' or got seriously injured, and The Simpsons kind of shocked me back then.
I like the Raven one, I remember seeing it at school after a while even.

I saw the Simpsons when I was young, and it did leave some impressions.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Also, I dislike the "Simpsons go to hell" epsiodes that aren't Halloween specials. I find them very unsettling, like the one that had the biblical dreams in it.

Oh, I just remembered that 'Simpsons have Bible dreams' episode too. It wasn't actually scary, but it was really weird. The things that happened in there would've been more likely to happen in a Halloween episode, which is why I got caught a little off-guard when I first saw it.

There's also a non-Halloween episode where Homer went to Mexico and he got drunk on tequila (or something), then he started having weird hallucinations out in the desert.

according to a casefile written about me when i was four: i had an unexplainable fear of the cat in the hat.

I loved The Cat in the Hat (and anything Dr. Seuss-related) as a kid. I had a computer game of it (not really a game, but more like an interactive storybook as was the vogue in those days) that I got for Christmas 2000 which I loved playing through again and again. The 2003 live-action movie kind of ruined it for me though, because the Cat there looked kind of freaky.

Last edited:

roule

take it all or leave it... I Feel You
according to a casefile written about me when i was four: i had an unexplainable fear of the cat in the hat.

i don't remember anything like that at all.