• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in media that scared you as a kid.

Sceptile Master

Survivor of the Great Avatar Depression
I pretty much couldn't handle any blood in media as a kid (that scene in the intro of Funi DBZ where Goku had blood coming out of his eye kinda bothered me, for instance). That was until I saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail anyway.

...I still can't handle eyeball injuries and such well though. I can see someone's ligaments be chopped off fine, but a needle to the eye? Joe-sama's forum rules won't quite let me properly express how I feel about that kind of thing.

Cat's Eye Draco

Scooby Doo Movies - I used to be terrified of the old show (the newer ones were awful, I much preferred the old one with the formula and actually decent humour), but then later grew to love it. However, that never consoled how scared I got of a decent amount of the movies. I'm not quite sure what it was, but it might've been the fact that a lot of them dealt with one of the main characters being possessed or evil, and possession used to be one of the creepiest things ever to me. Depending on the execution, it still can be, but it can also be badass as heck so yeah.

Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island is the only one that really managed to scare me as a kid. I can't say as I was terrified by it, but it was definitely unsettling in a way few other Scooby-Doo movies were.

Maybe because the zombies were real...

It's Terror Time Again was a very catchy chase sequence song, though. Even years later I can still remember all the words. xD

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island is the only one that really managed to scare me as a kid. I can't say as I was terrified by it, but it was definitely unsettling in a way few other Scooby-Doo movies were.

It's Terror Time Again was a very catchy chase sequence song, though. Even years later I can still remember all the words. xD

I didn't find Scooby-Doo all that scary, maybe because the villains almost always turn out to be hoaxes.

Nodqfan

The scene where Captian Moonscar reanimates and gives chase to Shaggy and Scooby always scares me.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I used to be scared of the network logos at the end of the tv shows.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I used to be scared of the network logos at the end of the tv shows.

I think I also had that fear once. If any of you are from England, like I am, you may remember the BBC 2 network logos, especially those from the 1990s and early 2000s. I was scared of them because of their strange music, but the one that gave me the most nightmares was the 'Silk' logo. It apparently represents a ship that's been wrecked and sunk below the dark ocean waves. The music didn't help either:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Two_'1991–2001'_idents

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I think I also had that fear once. If any of you are from England, like I am, you may remember the BBC 2 network logos, especially those from the 1990s and early 2000s. I was scared of them because of their strange music, but the one that gave me the most nightmares was the 'Silk' logo. It apparently represents a ship that's been wrecked and sunk below the dark ocean waves. The music didn't help either:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Two_'1991–2001'_idents
Wow that's kind of creepy. Can see how it could.

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
I remember this like it was yesterday. My mom was working a late shift so I was over at my aunt’s house, who would always watch me while my mom was working late. My cousin was watching this TV, I think it might be Are You Afraid of the Dark, and there was this one episode, I think it was based on black-eyed children. That episode scared me half to death, I slept with the door open and it even gave me nightmares.

That was the first episode of that show I saw and, needless to say, it was also the last.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Wow that's kind of creepy. Can see how it could.

Apparently I'm not alone; many other kids in the 90s had nightmares because of this one logo. The Wikipedia page I posted even had a bit on this, but it seems to have been removed as there wasn't really a reliable source on it. It was probably just anecdotal.

Away from that, there was a time where I couldn't play The Sims. It was because of this fear that they'd either run out of money, starve to death, drown, or burn alive in a fire. I once thought that the Sim characters would jump out of the screen and get vengeance on me for doing bad things to them. More recently, I've returned to playing The Sims 3, and I'm always scared that whenever my Sims go to sleep, burglars will strike and take all their stuff. It's happened a few times, and usually the burglars don't take anything because the police arrest them, but I still panic when that scare chord plays.

I used to fear that if your Sims got really sad or angry, they would commit suicide or go on a mad killing spree. I don't think this can actually happen under normal gameplay, unless you use a mod or cheat.

Last edited:

OriginalScream

I only certainly remember being scared twice by media as a child. The first was in Empire Strikes Back when Han got frozen in carbonite, the second was after Gandalf's "death" in Fellowship of the Ring. Both times, I thought they weren't coming back, and in Han's case, I saw the body. Even after seeing Return of the Jedi, I was creeped out just by seeing a toy of that damn carbonite block.

I guess something from that time that still affects me to this day is Darth Vader's breathing, just by itself. It just makes me uneasy.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Did anyone watch PSAs (public service announcements) on TV when they were littler? The ones in England were the most intense. There's this one where a man is having a bad dream about a fire gutting his house, then when he wakes up he lights a cigarette... and realizes his mistake. The female voice that taunts him in his nightmare doesn't help either. (I think it's the first video in this countdown):

There was also a quite (in)famous one about AIDS in the 1980s, which showed someone carving a gravestone with the word 'AIDS' on it, spooky 80s-style music, and the sinister narration. The thing that gets me is the bouquet of white lillies which fall onto the grave, and the slogan "Don't die of ignorance":

These adverts were a bit before my time, but even watching them now still gives me nightmares. In fact, there seemed to be so many 'Fire Kills' PSAs in England in the 1990s and early 2000s that I've developed a deep-seated fear of fire, and also cooking on my own. (Ironically, Fire is my favourite Pokémon type. o_O)

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Anyone heard of Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids? it was a show made by Citv (uk childens ITV channel). most of what I saw was only a little bit scary but there were a few episodes that gave me proper nightmares.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Anyone heard of Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids? it was a show made by Citv (uk childens ITV channel). most of what I saw was only a little bit scary but there were a few episodes that gave me proper nightmares.

I think I might've seen it when I was younger, but I don't remember having any nightmares from it. It was kind of like the Goosebumps TV series.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
It was a tagline for Grizzly Tales - derived from squeamish.

Speaking of squeamish, I can't look at blood for too long, especially if it's excessive. If I do, I start to feel really dizzy and nauseous, sometimes having to lay down on the floor. Minor cuts I'm sort of okay with, but gunshot wounds, stabbings and limbs being chopped off?

Yeah... No.

:confused:

Scammel

Oh, I can't get enough blood in 99% of media, with one notable exception when I was around 11 years old. I tried reading Crichton's Jurassic Park, but the depiction of Nedry's death is far more grisly than what's alluded to in the film - I didn't finish it for another five years.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Oh, I can't get enough blood in 99% of media, with one notable exception when I was around 11 years old. I tried reading Crichton's Jurassic Park, but the depiction of Nedry's death is far more grisly than what's alluded to in the film - I didn't finish it for another five years.

Is he the one who gets eaten by a T-Rex while he's sitting on the toilet? I've never seen any of the Jurassic Park films.