• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in media that scared you as a kid.

I used to find the moomins so scary! Anyone remember those?

Not the moomins themselves so much but the general feel of the programme was quite dark.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
The temple guards from the legend of the hidden temple scared me to where I would skip that part of the show.

Also, the Rugrats episodes where they think there is a monster under the bed (it turns out to be a sweater, but did I get that far?).
- It was mostly when Angelica was telling the Rugrats a fake news story about a monster that dragged a child under the bed.

I second both of these. With the latter they did a good job of upping the creep factor with Angelica. I just rewatched the "big people" episode where she's the boss and her hair turns into devil horns. Way too much back in the day. She also was my first known jumpscare in the Angelica Runs Away episode.

I stopped watching Teen Titans after the Raven's Birthday episode.

Alex048

Master of the Mind
This sounds right. The episode I believe he's talking about is "Cajun Granny Stew". Return the Slab has to top the list for most nightmare-inducing media of my childhood.

I guess games count, soooo.

Despite Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 DS Edition being one of my favourite childhood games ever, I do distinctly remember being scared of a couple of the mechanics. Basically any of the minor enemies that would prove to be an obstacle in reaching either the main goal or an extra feature. I remember that the sentient mushrooms, the dementor boggarts and the stealth feature (in certain levels) particularly bugged me, and I remember finding the Peter Pettigrew level in the Prisoner of Azkaban section particularly stressful, as it had multiple stealth areas and was the only level with two enemies you had to sneak by instead of one, coupled with the dementor boggarts. I still reached 100% on both files though.

WildHennaCharizard

A lot of Simpsons Treehouse of episodes scared me, many of them have been mentioned already . Other things that scared me as a kid certain episodes of Are you afraid of the Dark ( "the tale of the Gastly Grinner" as well as the one where the kid gets trapped in a pinball machine). Also the opening to the movie Laburirth scared me as a kid. That fact that the big sister would want her little brother to be takin away by goblins scared me to death when I first saw it! I screamed for the movie to be turned off!

BlackHorseGamer

The Dodgers Guy
One thing that scared me as a kid was Boos from Super Mario Bros. Especially the Giant Boo from Yoshi's Island when I'd play it on the Gameboy Advance SP.

I'm still pretty scared of Boos today. Can you imagine if you come home from a Dodgers game at about midnight or later due to the LA traffic and there are Boos all over your driveway, and a few follow you into your house and they scare you at about 4:00 the next morning? I don't even want to think about that.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
A lot of Simpsons Treehouse of episodes scared me, many of them have been mentioned already . Other things that scared me as a kid certain episodes of Are you afraid of the Dark ( "the tale of the Gastly Grinner" as well as the one where the kid gets trapped in a pinball machine). Also the opening to the movie Laburirth scared me as a kid. That fact that the big sister would want her little brother to be takin away by goblins scared me to death when I first saw it! I screamed for the movie to be turned off!
You didn't have an older sister yourself, did you?

SkinnySweatyMan

Whenever Are you afraid of the Dark? was coming on, I would change the channel because the opening scared me.
Now that I've actually watched it and I'm older, the show really isn't that scary.

Oh man, I used to love that show. That one and Tales from the Crypt (although my mom would cover my eyes for certain parts). I remember one time I threw a fit because my babysitter didn't let me watch Are You Afraid of the Dark?.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Whenever Are you afraid of the Dark? was coming on, I would change the channel because the opening scared me.
Now that I've actually watched it and I'm older, the show really isn't that scary.

Did you also watch/read Goosebumps too? They were like horror stories for kids, but as an adult, most of them aren't too scary. But I remember the story about this camera where if you took a photo of someone they would die, or something like that.

The one where a boy messes with a cuckoo clock and accidentally goes back in time, becoming a toddler and a baby in the process, also scares me a little. I mean... he basically killed his little sister (though not in a violent way, he just erased her from existence).

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
Did you also watch/read Goosebumps too? They were like horror stories for kids, but as an adult, most of them aren't too scary. But I remember the story about this camera where if you took a photo of someone they would die, or something like that.

The one where a boy messes with a cuckoo clock and accidentally goes back in time, becoming a toddler and a baby in the process, also scares me a little. I mean... he basically killed his little sister (though not in a violent way, he just erased her from existence).

I knew the books existed but I didn't want to read them. I never knew there was a show of it until I was older.

buskalilly

I was never bothered by gore and violence and all that- my grandmother let me watch loads of 18-rated Schwarzenegger films before I even started school - but it was creepy stuff that bothered me. This has probably come up already (I'm writing mine before I go back and read the thread) but I had to play Lavender Town with the sound off.

The worst stuff for me was alien abduction, close encounters and UFO stuff. I was obsessed with it and couldn't stop reading cheap paperbacks and watching late-night "documentaries" but it was always giving me nightmares and keeping me awake at night. Even now if I'm alone in the dark, out in the woods or on a lonely road, I start wondering if the aliens are going to come and pick me up. It terrifies and excites me in equal measure.

This is why Sableye is one of my favourite Pokemon.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I knew the books existed but I didn't want to read them. I never knew there was a show of it until I was older.

Why didn't you want to read them?

buskalilly

Reading through the thread, I saw a few people mentioning hell and satan and stuff they were taught in Church. I had a very Catholic grandmother and sometimes she fed me all that stuff and it did indeed give me nightmares.

I was afraid of the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who
I remember the night that episode aired. We were having a sleepover at a friend's house - in the garden, in tents. It was definitely spooky!

also honestly, missingno and related gen 1 pokemon glitches have always been uncomfortable to me too. being like 8 years old and playing r/b in 99,

Yep, I second all of this stuff. I was so invested in the world of those games that seeing it go wrong like that was seriously unsettling. That sort of stuff still creeps me out a little to this day, meaning well-done creppypastas like BEN DROWNED can properly get to me.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
As a kid, I hated scary stuff, so I wasn't interested.

This is the reason I don't like horror movies. I did mention in a previous post that Disney had a horror movie called Don't Look Under the Bed. Because of that movie, when we were little, my sister and I thought monsters were hiding under our beds, and if we peeked under for even a second, they would reach out and eat us.

If you remember the movie Coraline, that was one I was also scared of. I was frightened by the 'other' mother and her wanting to make Coraline into a doll, and I was scared that my mother would also try to make me into a doll. But I was like 14 when that movie came out, so I was a little more mature.

AuroraBeam

The illustrations in the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series. My second grade teacher read us a few stories from them for Halloween but wouldn't let us actually see the book as she read. Unfortunately I was sneaky enough to steal a peek through the book once when she wasn't looking. I was definitely unsettled for a few weeks after that because a lot of those pictures were legitimately creepy. Even while in second grade I thought the stories themselves were fairly tame, but those pictures man...

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I kinda forgot this one last time, but Barney the Dinosaur was flat-out terrifying to me. An old show I once watched on DVD had a Barney ad at the end of it and I'd have to switch the DVD out for another one after the show ended as quickly as I could before the ad came on.

I was also once scared of Mickey Mouse. Thank god I got over that one.

I used to be scared of 'guy in a giant cartoon character costume' shows like Barney and Teletubbies. I actually read somewhere on the Internet some years back that the guy who played Barney was accused of child abuse, so maybe that's why a lot of people hate him. The Teletubbies just freaked me out, I think it was their faces, or them just being weird.

The Muppets and Bear in the Big Blue House were OK with me, but I remember the movie where Kermit wishes he was never born, which kind of scared me. Also, the door knocker that turns into Jacob Marley's face in The Muppets Christmas Carol frightened me when I was younger, as did the Marley ghosts themselves, but now I find them hilarious.

I was never scared of Mickey Mouse, but I remember this one old cartoon (like from the 1930s, so black-and-white) where Mickey and Pluto were shrunk down in their garden, and they get attacked by the bugs. That was unsettling to a child like me, who's loved Disney throughout pretty much her entire life. Although probably not as upsetting as...

Bambi's mother getting killed.

buskalilly

Regarding your spoiler, my mum likes to tell the story of when I was a kid and the cinema was rerunning that film. I'd already seen it by that point and proceeded to sit in the audience before the film and drop that spoiler, making a girl in the row in front cry.

Back on topic, I forgot to mention Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of the War of the Worlds. I used to listen to my dad's vinyl, and stare at the big paintings, loads as a kid. Terrified me but I also couldn't get enough. I still listen to it now.