• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Starlightt

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I suppose in a way, the games do have this ability. In the form of moves having varying accuracy.

I second this. But the feeling still just isn't there.

In anime, Satoshi and his friends can be hit by Shadowball which is a Ghost type move, does that mean Satoshi isnt normal?

Because the anime mechanics are different than actual game mechanics.

In a way, the move Detect is an actual dodge, as the user reads there opponent to detect the next attack and then dodge it.

True, I forgot about that move.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
How come Garchomp is not the evolved form of sharpedo, even though nintendo kinda made a connection by having garchamp's hidden ability same as sharpedo's, which is rough skin..

Probably because aside from them both being based on sharks (and different kinds of sharks, at that), they share nothing in common, and Garchop was conceptualized as the finale form of a pseudo-Legendary line, which the Carvanha line plain and simply is not.

Pokemon breeding, like Nidoran(f) can, but its evolved forms cant..

To analogize, 70-year-olds are still women, but they can't breed either.

How come fire type moves are not effective against a water type when it's out of water, cause, you know, you cook fish.. (IDK seriously, been wondering since i was a kid XD)

They are effective, though.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
My guess for this is that Sunny Day makes the sunlight too intense for plants to flourish - sort of like in the middle of a drought. I believe that Sunny Day recreates drought-like conditions because the power of Water-type moves goes down due to the evaporation of water in droughts. No water, no plants. However, I don't think Sunny Day is as powerful or catastrophic as Desolate Land, which makes Water-type moves completely ineffective, since moves that reverse Sunny Day (Rain Dance, etc.) exist.

The interesting thing, however, is that certain Grass-type moves are affected by Sunny Day, such as Solar Beam, Ingrain, and Synthesis. If Sunny Day can indeed affect Grass-type moves, why not just have it boost all Grass-type moves?

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
The interesting thing, however, is that certain Grass-type moves are affected by Sunny Day, such as Solar Beam, Ingrain, and Synthesis. If Sunny Day can indeed affect Grass-type moves, why not just have it boost all Grass-type moves?

I agree with this. The sunlight created by sunny day certainly isn't hot enough to put plants at a sort of disadvantage, this is represented by the moves you outlined that benefit greatly from sunny day. It's not as if those moves are a feature of the sunlight either, it's simply how they work. I could definitely see sunlight boosting Grass moves, the vast majority of plants do need suight to grow, afterall.

You know what really needs to get better? *cough*Hail and the Ice type in general*cough*

Luthor

The fact that Arceus doesn't get Aura sphere has always seemed odd to me given that all the creation trio get it.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I think it could be cool to see a Grass type have an ability or effect/whatever that activates when hit by a Water type move under intense sunlight. Like it could restore all it's PP or something different.

CreeperNinjaGamer

Warlord of Shinies
Why is Electric not SE on Steel? Most metals conduct electricity nearly as well as water, so . . .

Tangeh

Why is Electric not SE on Steel? Most metals conduct electricity nearly as well as water, so . . .

Probably because metal is used to intentionally direct electricity, while you can't realistically use water in that way. water itself technically doesn't conduct electricity anyways

Something I've been thinking about is, why are the elemental fang moves less accurate than Bite?
In a way, they're the same move, just typed differently, but why the difference in accuracy? Or, for that matter, the base power difference?

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Something I've been thinking about is, why are the elemental fang moves less accurate than Bite?
In a way, they're the same move, just typed differently, but why the difference in accuracy? Or, for that matter, the base power difference?

You kind of just answered your own question by pointing out a flaw in your logic. If the fang moves were indeed the same thing as Bite, they would all have the same accuracy and base power. Since they don't, they clearly are not the same thing. As for the differences, I don't know. But clearly they are not one and the same.

You kind of just answered your own question by pointing out a flaw in your logic. If the fang moves were indeed the same thing as Bite, they would all have the same accuracy and base power. Since they don't, they clearly are not the same thing. As for the differences, I don't know. But clearly they are not one and the same.
Well he has a point (with the accuracy at least) since they are all moves that involve biting. It does seem a bit silly that biting your target is less accurate than biting your target.

However the base power difference is completely reasonable since I'm pretty sure being electrocuted/frozen/lit on fire on top of being bitten would hurt more than simply being bitten.

Last edited:

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Well he has a point (with the accuracy at least) since they are all moves that involve biting. It does seem a bit silly that biting your target is less accurate than biting your target.

However the base power difference is completely reasonable since I'm pretty sure being electrocuted/frozen/lit on fire on top of being bitten would hurt more than simply being bitten.

Well, surely they weren't just sitting around saying, "Eh, give that one 95 accuracy. Who cares." There's bound to be logic behind why. Maybe it's as simple as the "charging" of the elemental attack takes a small amount of time, thus granting the opponent a 5% chance of dodging.

Akashin

How is Scyther eligible for Sky Battles but it still can't learn Fly?

Scyther is in the same boat as quite a fair number of Pokemon in that regard. Scyther is capable of flight, and thus it can participate in Sky Battles; whether or not you think it's illogical that Scyther can't learn Fly, its eligibility for Sky Battles has nothing to do with it.

Ivysnake

Poison Gym Leader
Well, surely they weren't just sitting around saying, "Eh, give that one 95 accuracy. Who cares." There's bound to be logic behind why. Maybe it's as simple as the "charging" of the elemental attack takes a small amount of time, thus granting the opponent a 5% chance of dodging.

Here's another question: if the charging of the element effect the accuracy, and the base power is nearly the same, why would Poison Fang be 100% accuracy and only 50 base power? (Which is essentially the weakest biting move in power)

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Here's another question: if the charging of the element effect the accuracy, and the base power is nearly the same, why would Poison Fang be 100% accuracy and only 50 base power? (Which is essentially the weakest biting move in power)

I would assume in this instance that it would be like a snake bite to where the venom comes with the bite naturally and that the snake bite is not necessarily powerful in and of itself, but it is the venom (hence the 50% chance of being badly poisoned) that does the "damage." At least that is what I understand snake bites to be like.

Ivysnake

Poison Gym Leader
I would assume in this instance that it would be like a snake bite to where the venom comes with the bite naturally and that the snake bite is not necessarily powerful in and of itself, but it is the venom (hence the 50% chance of being badly poisoned) that does the "damage." At least that is what I understand snake bites to be like.

That makes sense, but when Sharpedo or Tyrantrum use it, it's a little controversial in that perspective.