• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
I know, but it is much more common in Sinnoh than it is in Hoenn, so it stands to believe Ralts is native to Sinnoh, no?

I guess... and plus the fact that Meister lives in an area where the player can encounter non-Sinnoh Pokémon much more often than if the player stayed in continental Sinnoh.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Looks like no-one's posted in this thread for a while. An entire week, that must be some sort of bloody record *blows cobwebs off thread*

So here's a conundrum: GB Sounds, HG/SS. Just how does it work?

Moonrox

Shaymin Enthusiast
Looks like no-one's posted in this thread for a while. An entire week, that must be some sort of bloody record *blows cobwebs off thread*

So here's a conundrum: GB Sounds, HG/SS. Just how does it work?

Any specific questions? You turn it on, and it plays the old music and sounds from Gold and Silver. Any place that was added in HG/SS that wasn't in G/S doesn't have old music.

Unredemption

Must have been mentioned before, but I never really understood why most of the adults in the Pokemon world sat idly as a 10 year old kid ran around trying to bust villainous teams. Even the police, for the most part.

supersmew

Let me heal your ⓗ♈ʒ
I never understood how Genesect could Fly. I know, the movie trailer. But... Before that I thought there were little suction cup rockets on it's feet.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Must have been mentioned before, but I never really understood why most of the adults in the Pokemon world sat idly as a 10 year old kid ran around trying to bust villainous teams. Even the police, for the most part.

Happenstance, mostly. The player only becomes embroiled in the villainous Team's plot by coincidence. Additionally, there has been some police involvement over time, it's just that they have a more surveillance-based strategy, whereas the player gets right up in the Team's business and disrupts their flow of operation. Although in Black and White, some of the Gym Leaders help out against Team Plasma and Alder gets directly involved in Team Plasma's plot because he's their main target, and then he tries to confront them just like the player does. Even in BW2, the old Team Plasma helps to fight against the new Team Plasma in an effort to make up for the trouble that they previously caused, and once again, some of the Gym Leaders also lend a hand to the player.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Fire types can be frozen..

(Most) Fire-types aren't actually made of fire. One can freeze an oven, given the appropriate means.

Kyro13

Banned
I never understood how Genesect could Fly. I know, the movie trailer. But... Before that I thought there were little suction cup rockets on it's feet.

Meh, I don't know either. I mean, it's a rocket-transformer-bug-mutation-terminator thing and all, but it just doesn't seem like it could "fly"

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Meh, I don't know either. I mean, it's a rocket-transformer-bug-mutation-terminator thing and all, but it just doesn't seem like it could "fly"

Team Plasma probably just affixed it with levitation technology when they upgraded it.

OrcaCity

Expert Killer Whale
Some of the Pokedex entries talk about how badly certain Pokemon can beat up an Indian Elephant. Raichu and Ghastly's entries for example. I don't understand why they couldn't say something other than an Indian Elephant like a Bouffalant or a Donphan (Or a Dragonite like they said about Raichu in the anime). I always thought it was weird when Pokemon mentions animals in our world instead of Pokemon. I guess if Pokemon ever become real, Indian Elephants are going to be in a lot of trouble.

Last edited:

Zecaomes

Hey Scotty,Jesus Man
Some of the Pokedex entries talk about how badly certain Pokemon can beat up an Indian Elephant. Raichu and Ghastly's entries for example. I don't understand why they couldn't say something other than an Indian Elephant like a Bouffalant or a Donphan (Or a Dragonite like they said about Raichu in the anime). I always thought it was weird when Pokemon mentions animals in our world instead of Pokemon. I guess if Pokemon ever become real, Indian Elephants are going to be in a lot of trouble.

Well, I don't see what is weird there. If normal animals exist in Pokémon world, it's a cool fact that a Pokémon an beat one, so that's why there's this kind of thing in the Pokédex. I think they don't use other Pokémon as a strenght paramenter because every Pokémon can beat another, as long as they were trained right.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

That's just real-world flavoring meant for our benefit.

Last edited:

FallBird

Hahaha! Poor elephants, they have enough trouble as it is.
But I think that there are supposed to be regular animals in pokemon... like at the Cerulean Gym in the first season, with the real fish in the tank.
So somewhere in the Pokemon universe, Indian Elephants are being killed by angry pokemon.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Many things in Pokemon don't make sense and probably most of these have already been mentioned.

:: People relying on CUT to cut those tiny little bushes so they can pass through. I can understand if it's some prickly vine or something similar.
:: Being able to stuff your Bicycle inside your bag, and a lot of other stuff. The bag is obviously a hammerspace.
:: Flying Pokemon doesn't know how to FLY, while aquatic Pokemon not knowing how to SURF right from the start.
:: You are the train signal. Trains always wait for you.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Many things in Pokemon don't make sense and probably most of these have already been mentioned.

:: People relying on CUT to cut those tiny little bushes so they can pass through. I can understand if it's some prickly vine or something similar.
:: Being able to stuff your Bicycle inside your bag, and a lot of other stuff. The bag is obviously a hammerspace.
:: Flying Pokemon doesn't know how to FLY, while aquatic Pokemon not knowing how to SURF right from the start.
:: You are the train signal. Trains always wait for you.

1) They're technically depicted as small trees, but that just makes the problem worse. Cut is mainly used for invisible plot wall purposes.

2) The first through third generations managed to get the flavor a bit better by limiting the amount of stuff the player could put in the bag. Flavor was sacrificed for function, though, as it got pretty annoying to have to go back to the PC endlessly just to get certain items.
As for the actual idea, I'm thinking that letting the player have a bicycle was done out of convenience so that the player wouldn't have to spend as long traversing the region by foot.

3) Technically, all Flying Pokémon can fly (Doduo and Dodrio, too, arguably). However, whether or not a Pokémon can learn Fly is measured by whether or not it can transport itself through the air while having to support the weight of its trainer.
Pokémon like Pidgey can learn Fly because their genetic makeup allows them to support the weight of their trainer, despite them being pretty much ten times as light as them.
Of course, the same thing applies for Pokémon and Surf.

4) It just so happens that when the player character gets on the subway, the train leaves. Actually, it can be assumed that trains and ships come and go as normal when the player can't see them.