• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
What doesn't make sense: Ghost types eating pokepuffs / pokemon with no mouths eating pokepuffs.

How does ghost-types eating not make sense? Some of them like Gengar, Banette and Chandelure do in fact have a mouth.

But I agree that feeding Pokémon with no mouth makes no sense though.

How does ghost-types eating not make sense? Some of them like Gengar, Banette and Chandelure do in fact have a mouth.

But I agree that feeding Pokémon with no mouth makes no sense though.

Ghosts being incorporeal, i'd presume that the food would just go right through them.

Last edited:

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Ghosts being incorporeal, i'd presume that the food would just go right through them.

You are thinking of real-life ghosts. Ghost-type Pokémon and real-life ghosts are far from being the same thing.

Ghost-type Pokémon are for the most part living creatures. Yeah, sure a lot of ghost-types have PokéDex entries that implies that they're dead. But even then ghost-type Pokémon need food just like any other Pokémon.

You might as well say that Tauros being able to learn rock slide and fire blast makes no sense as regular bulls can't do that stuff, but Tauros is a Pokémon first, a bull second.

Tyrantrum

Pikachu wrecking an Onix in the anime. That is impossible unless Pikachu has Iron Tail that Ash didn't have.

Well, it was better explained in the manga by setting off the sprinklers but still yeah...

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I can picture some of the ghosts eating just fine, like sableye or something, but banette would have a hard time eating with its zipped shut mouth. And even if one argues unzipping its mouth doesn't cause it to die, banette still probably has stuffing instead of a stomach, so where the food would go seems like a mystery. And then there's shedinja, which clearly is an empty shell, so also no internal organs. Who knows how it can eat stuff.

And speaking of pokémon that don't have certain body parts, how can flash affect pokémon with no eyes? Sand attack might get sand in their ears or something, (seems odd, but ok), and I can buy that double team might create auditory illusions as well (I think some moths actually create similar illusions against echolocating bats) but flash? It's a bright light. How does that make zubat or roggenrola's aim get worse?

The paralysis status condition should be a game over for the opponent since it means the pokemon cannot move at all making them a sitting duck and unable to avoid any attacks.It should also make physical moves impossible because the pokemon needs to move to do it.

The sleep status condition is the above only the pokemon is unconsious.I never understood the random set intervals for sleep but the status would be broken in an actual battle.

How does every fire type move not burn?

How does every electric type move not paralyze?

How does every ice type move not freeze?

The burn status condition makes no sense.A burn is a heat wound but the pokemon continuously takes damage.This only makes sense with poison because poisons slowly kill you but a burn wound is only painful and not debilitating at all.In addition alot more than fire type moves should burn pokemon.Electric attacks could cause internal burns.Hyper beams or any beam is energy so its ultra hot.Any energy attack contains heat so it should burn.

In addition Electric type moves are very deadly.They should cause heart attacks or brain damage in organic pokemon,but this is a children's game so yh.

Confusion should nerf the accuracy stat of pokemon since it distorts their senses and obviously makes them hear auditory hallucinations to hit themself.

FieryLucario

Just a Person
(i don't know if this has been brought up yet but…) Have any of you looked up the size of a Pokemon in the Pokedex. I never really cared about that stuff until recently, my friend showed me some of the ridiculous height proportions of some Pokemon. It's a great laugh and mind blow if you look up some of them. (try Heatran and Dunsparce to start)

Bakphoon™

Heated Fury
(i don't know if this has been brought up yet but…) Have any of you looked up the size of a Pokemon in the Pokedex. I never really cared about that stuff until recently, my friend showed me some of the ridiculous height proportions of some Pokemon. It's a great laugh and mind blow if you look up some of them. (try Heatran and Dunsparce to start)

Yeah, agreed.
Volcarona's height is HUGE..

Tyrantrum

Some of them are ridiculous in height, and it can make you think twice. Some of them make sense like Onix at 28 feet, but then you remember how common that is so your facing down a towering 'mon every time you see one.

When it's thought about enough, yes, i agree entirely.

Looking at my Xerneas and Yveltal poster that I have, Yveltal is 19,00" tall. If I came face to face with this large monster in real life, I'd be terrified.

fitzy909

Just another guy
When it's thought about enough, yes, i agree entirely.

Looking at my Xerneas and Yveltal poster that I have, Yveltal is 19,00" tall. If I came face to face with this large monster in real life, I'd be terrified.

19'00"! Jesus that is really tall. That is more than 3 times my height! You would think it could just squash anything in its way.

Zephraxe

19'00"! Jesus that is really tall. That is more than 3 times my height! You would think it could just squash anything in its way.

Although it is 19'00" tall, about half of that height comes from it's tail. WIthout the tail, it would only be about 9 or 10 feet. I woud imagine Yveltal (As a comparison) to be about the size of the wyverns from The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I know I said this before but since that post is probably over a month old now I might as well say it again.

Don't take the size in the PokéDex seriously, they are clearly jokes.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Although it is 19'00" tall, about half of that height comes from it's tail. WIthout the tail, it would only be about 9 or 10 feet. I woud imagine Yveltal (As a comparison) to be about the size of the wyverns from The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

And that's the thing; the heights lack context.

Inorganic pokemon(pokemon which are made out of anything isnt flesh or cellulose should be impossible to poison or even paralyze since they dont have organic flesh where this is possible.

Geodude and Onix are confirmed living rocks so how can they get poisoned if all poison in pokemon is nothing but a liquid toxin.What does this do to a rock?

Even so electric moves paralyze by messing up the nervous system of a pokemon.However pokemon that dont have nerves like pure plant pokemon and the inorganic ones should be impossible to paralyze since they dont have nerves.

Then there is confusion to take in account.Supersonic creates soundwaves that mess up your vesticular canals disorienting your sense of balance hence confusion.However what would it do to something that clearly has no vesticular canals.NOTHING at all.Using supersonic on geodude is stupid since it hears sound in a way you cant comprehend since its completely rock.Again complete plant pokemon would be immune to supersonic since their biology is different from animalistic pokemon.This is also the fact they dont have a brain.

However Confuse Ray is magic so it gets a pass and the fact its ghost type means it can ignore logic.
Dizzy Punch is magic so it gets a pass too.

Flinching makes no sense.Why would something flinch after being bitten or hit with a blade of air?The flinch status is pure nonsense and shouldnt even exist.

Inorganic pokemon that are not carbon based should be immune to burns since they cant combust for a burn to be possible.Your skin is burned because the fire combust it into a vapor.
Then you have scald which can also burn but boiling water scalds or cause a second degree burn.Im just gonna assume burn is any heat related injury in pokemon.If that is the case 2/3rds of every attack should burn since they are explosive energy attacks.Heck Hyper Beam would realistically DISENTEGRATE or reduce to dust whatever it hits.

Enjolras

Master of the House
Even so electric moves paralyze by messing up the nervous system of a pokemon.However pokemon that dont have nerves like pure plant pokemon and the inorganic ones should be impossible to paralyze since they dont have nerves.
Then there is confusion to take in account.Supersonic creates soundwaves that mess up your vesticular canals disorienting your sense of balance hence confusion.However what would it do to something that clearly has no vesticular canals.NOTHING at all.Using supersonic on geodude is stupid since it hears sound in a way you cant comprehend since its completely rock.Again complete plant pokemon would be immune to supersonic since their biology is different from animalistic pokemon.This is also the fact they dont have a brain.

This is all assuming that Pokemon biology is the same as an animal's biology on Earth.

It's kind of weird how Spikes and Stealth Rock are very similar to each other.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
It's kind of weird how Spikes and Stealth Rock are very similar to each other.

"Very similar"?

I'm sorry but I don't agree with that, the only thing those two have in common is the fact that they're entry hazards that do damage.

Spikes do damage, but don't work on Pokémon with levitate or who are flying-types.

Stealth rock does damage depending on the opponent's type. The weaker the Pokémon is towards rock the stronger the entry hazard is, and the more resistant the opponent is the lower the damage is.

Major difference.

Entry Hazards should be harmless to most armored pokemon tbh.Even toxic spikes shouldnt phase them since the spikes cant pierce through their armor.Also how does Spikes even work realistically? Does the pokemon get impaled in their feet when they come out? Ouch and Stealth Rock is SHARP stones so its possible the rocks stab the pokemon sent out.

Spikes would make more sense as an offensive ground type move.