• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

TheGreaterLucario

Y'know, I've always wondered: How is it that Wooper can use Ice Punch? It doesn't have any arms to punch with!

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Y'know, I've always wondered: How is it that Wooper can use Ice Punch? It doesn't have any arms to punch with!

The reason for that makes no sense. "Because it evolves into a Pokémon that does have arms."

Since a lot of Pokémon can't learn a move their evolution can, I don't buy that explanation at all.

KumaPanda

Psyduck is cute <3
How does Dodrio fly? No matter how long I look at it it makes no sense. And why can't Scyther learn Fly?

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I think that Kangaskhan and its baby are no more than a single being that look like two, then actually become two in Mega form. I consider it like a Girafarig-type situation: two brains in one attached being that can think on their own. So, like an attached parasite. This is why the "baby" is never separate from the "mother." Maybe even consider Mantine or Slowbro/Slowking: technically composed of multiple beings that have their own minds but are still considered one entity with an attached parasite.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I think that Kangaskhan and its baby are no more than a single being that look like two, then actually become two in Mega form. I consider it like a Girafarig-type situation: two brains in one attached being that can think on their own. So, like an attached parasite. This is why the "baby" is never separate from the "mother." Maybe even consider Mantine or Slowbro/Slowking: technically composed of multiple beings that have their own minds but are still considered one entity with an attached parasite.

Actually I disagree, I don't think the Kangaskan baby is the same species, but rather something Kangaskan always has with her.

Would you say that Conkeldurr's pillars or Marwak's bone is part of them? I wouldn't, I consider them accessories.

There's also Gastly with the elemental punches (and Sucker Punch, though that probably doesn't mean quite the same thing), and Shroomish with Drain Punch and Focus Punch. Yes, it's pretty crazy!

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
There's also Gastly with the elemental punches (and Sucker Punch, though that probably doesn't mean quite the same thing), and Shroomish with Drain Punch and Focus Punch. Yes, it's pretty crazy!

I can actually explain how Gastly can learn punches.

It can make its gas into hands.

But yeah, it makes no sense that Shroomish can learn punch moves since it has no arms.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Actually I disagree, I don't think the Kangaskan baby is the same species, but rather something Kangaskan always has with her.

Would you say that Conkeldurr's pillars or Marwak's bone is part of them? I wouldn't, I consider them accessories.

Those aren't the same, though. Those are inanimate accessories. All of my examples consisted of beings with multiple brains and functions.

Requiem's Eclipse

Hopelessly Hopeful
I could be missing what you are saying, but couldn't that be explained as peripheral vision? Also, they've never been really strict on the whole "two eyes meet" thing, since what really matters is that the NPC trainer saw your character.

I get completely why they have to do it. It's just really weird that in X&Y most of your characters back can be facing an NPC because of the 360 movement and somehow the characters meet eyes. Personally for me, my peripherals aren't that good that I can see someone directly to the right or left of me.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
The Honedge line - Ignoring the fact that it's a sword possessed by a ghost, it becomes two swords (presumably possessed by two ghosts), then returns to being just one. Dex says it divides into two swords, so then later it's practically devolving... Or if it's actually like Magneton and has to find a partner... well, only around 1/4 the people on Earth are left-handed, and in many areas left-handed people weren't allowed to become knights (wrong hand holding the shield to protect the heart, coupled with left-handedness being considered a sign of evil), so there would be a major lack of left hand Honedge for the right hand ones to pair up with. There'd be a whole lot of Honedge unable to evolve.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
The Honedge line - Ignoring the fact that it's a sword possessed by a ghost, it becomes two swords (presumably possessed by two ghosts), then returns to being just one. Dex says it divides into two swords, so then later it's practically devolving... Or if it's actually like Magneton and has to find a partner... well, only around 1/4 the people on Earth are left-handed, and in many areas left-handed people weren't allowed to become knights (wrong hand holding the shield to protect the heart, coupled with left-handedness being considered a sign of evil), so there would be a major lack of left hand Honedge for the right hand ones to pair up with. There'd be a whole lot of Honedge unable to evolve.

W...hy exactly does the other one need to be left-handed?

How you can fly on a 1'08" chatot across a region. Keep in mind, it weights 4.2 lbs.

They use the move and conjure up a massive well of energy, like adrenaline.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Looking at the image, the swords are mirrors of one another, indicating one is a right-handed sword, and the other a left-handed sword. Beyond that are the handed-nesses of the sashes.

Last edited:

Blazekickblaziken

Snarktastic Ditz
Y'know, I've always wondered:How is it that Wooper can use Ice Punch? It doesn't have any arms to punch with!

In the anime, Buneary used dizzy punch by "punching" with it's ears. I would assume Wooper punches with it's tail. I wouldn't assume attacks are literal translations. As for pokemon that don't have any apendages at all with wich to punch. I have no idea. Maybe it's just an elemental tackle?

Xenomata

MS Paint Sableye
Has anyone questioned an average persons ability to instantly teach near any pokemon, legendaries included, just about any attack as long as the tutor can teach that attack, and said pokemon being able to instantly master that attack?

Akashin

Has anyone questioned an average persons ability to instantly teach near any pokemon, legendaries included, just about any attack as long as the tutor can teach that attack, and said pokemon being able to instantly master that attack?

Not even once. Just like I don't question a Pokemon arbitrarily trying to learn a new technique out of nowhere at certain levels (moves learned on Evolution sometimes notwithstanding). I find it reasonably easy to waive things like these on account of it, you know, being a game.

Xenomata

MS Paint Sableye
Not even once. Just like I don't question a Pokemon arbitrarily trying to learn a new technique out of nowhere at certain levels (moves learned on Evolution sometimes notwithstanding). I find it reasonably easy to waive things like these on account of it, you know, being a game.

Except that while its easy to say "its a game" to most things in pokemon, there is no reason for a pathetic excuse like that to even come into play when the game in question has multiple truckloads of science to explain near everything inside of it. For the stuff that doesn't have much of an explaination I have been trying to come up with ways to explain them (Most all of my responces in the "What moves SHOULDN'T they get?" Thread http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?630026-What-Moves-SHOULDN-T-They-Get), however nothing I can come up with can explain normal, average people being able to bestow upon Pokemon these abilities they shouldn't be otherwise able to get.

And about learning new techniques out of nowhere at certain levels, take note that the pokemon have evolved (no not in that way) to adapt to whatever they need done, and therefore have been able to master the techniques they have at their natural disposal. There is absolutely no explanation for how, as an example, a guy can teach most normal birds how to set off a Heat Wave when they lack most other forms of fire abilities, and not only that those birds being able to immediately mater that ability. Ok that might have been a poor example, but I'm sure the message is there.

Akashin

Except that while its easy to say "its a game" to most things in pokemon, there is no reason for a pathetic excuse like that to even come into play when the game in question has multiple truckloads of science to explain near everything inside of it. For the stuff that doesn't have much of an explaination I have been trying to come up with ways to explain them (Most all of my responces in the "What moves SHOULDN'T they get?" Thread http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?630026-What-Moves-SHOULDN-T-They-Get), however nothing I can come up with can explain normal, average people being able to bestow upon Pokemon these abilities they shouldn't be otherwise able to get.

And about learning new techniques out of nowhere at certain levels, take note that the pokemon have evolved (no not in that way) to adapt to whatever they need done, and therefore have been able to master the techniques they have at their natural disposal. There is absolutely no explanation for how, as an example, a guy can teach most normal birds how to set off a Heat Wave when they lack most other forms of fire abilities, and not only that those birds being able to immediately mater that ability. Ok that might have been a poor example, but I'm sure the message is there.

The thing is, if a Pokemon can learn a move via Move Tutor, than they do have the ability to do so, regardless of how illogical it might be. I don't think you're going to find a better explanation than, "They have the capability to do so, but they can't inherently do so on their own." It really isn't that different than using TMs if you think about it.

Xenomata

MS Paint Sableye
The thing is, if a Pokemon can learn a move via Move Tutor, than they do have the ability to do so, regardless of how illogical it might be. I don't think you're going to find a better explanation than, "They have the capability to do so, but they can't inherently do so on their own." It really isn't that different than using TMs if you think about it.

Ok maybe the message didn't get across...

What I mean is, There is no explanation for how normal people (or at least once normal people) are capable of teaching pokemon moves, regardless of if they have the ability to use the move or not. TMs I kinda understand since it is technology, however no move tutor in any of the games seem to use any sort of technology to teach pokemon moves. also that whole how can they already master the move when they just got it doesn't seem relevant anymore...

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Looking at the image, the swords are mirrors of one another, indicating one is a right-handed sword, and the other a left-handed sword. Beyond that are the handed-nesses of the sashes.

But, assuming that one Honedge joins the other and they become one, then they would both start out orientation-neutral, and then they would morph into mirror images upon evolution. Although personally, I think that one Honedge just divides in half.