• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Electric's entire type matchup table doesn't make much sense. It's super-effective to Flying, but a bird in flight can't be harmed by lightning because it's not grounded. It's super-effective against Water, presumably because water conducts electricity, but so does Steel, which takes neutral damage, and the Ground, which is flat out immune to Electric. Water, the ground, and metal all conduct electricity, so they should all have the same type relation to Electric, but instead they span the entire spectrum from taking super-effective damage to being immune to it.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
It's an error; the TM for Steel Wing in Gen 6 has the same number as the TM for Ally Switch in Gen 5.

I've heard a theory that says it was intended due to Elgyem and Beheyeem being based on aliens, since it's TM51 after all.

There's also another possibility, the Steel Wing access may be a joke about Elgyem and Beheeyem throwing their alien ship at the opponent, lol

So it could be an error that they decide to keep, perhaps due to the joke (the Steel Wing access was kept in OR/AS), or it was really intended because of the TM number.

We can only wait and see what will happen in next generation, if TM51 changes again. If TM51 changes again into something else even more ridiculous for Elgyem line (like say, Aqua Tail) and Elgyem line STILL has access to TM51, then the access, without doubt, is due to the TM number.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Electric's entire type matchup table doesn't make much sense. It's super-effective to Flying, but a bird in flight can't be harmed by lightning because it's not grounded. It's super-effective against Water, presumably because water conducts electricity, but so does Steel, which takes neutral damage, and the Ground, which is flat out immune to Electric. Water, the ground, and metal all conduct electricity, so they should all have the same type relation to Electric, but instead they span the entire spectrum from taking super-effective damage to being immune to it.

When I got my wife into Pokemon last year, it took her forever to remember that Electric is SE against Water and not the other way around.

I don't mean to say you're incorrect in what you've said, but one thing I try to remind people of when it comes to type match-ups is that we aren't dealing with element vs element in Pokemon. We're dealing with creatures who control elements vs creatures who control elements. It may be easier to accept some of the weirder type match-ups if one just sees it as a monster controlling electricity attacking a monster that controls water rather than electricity vs water.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Or it could be possible that arceus had a primal/mega/alternate form
Game art-wise, this sounds ridiculous, but I think it's a logical explanation since I'm pretty sure '1000 arms' is a reference to Ra. Ra in his standard form, has a humanoid body, but can also appear as the sun, usually rendered in Egyptian art as a shining eye with many arms coming off it (intended to represent a much larger number of arms).

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
When I got my wife into Pokemon last year, it took her forever to remember that Electric is SE against Water and not the other way around.

I don't mean to say you're incorrect in what you've said, but one thing I try to remind people of when it comes to type match-ups is that we aren't dealing with element vs element in Pokemon. We're dealing with creatures who control elements vs creatures who control elements. It may be easier to accept some of the weirder type match-ups if one just sees it as a monster controlling electricity attacking a monster that controls water rather than electricity vs water.

I had trouble remembering that Ice was super effective against Bug until the middle of the third Gen. And even then i was still thinking Bug was weak to Poison still.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
I had trouble remembering that Ice was super effective against Bug until the middle of the third Gen. And even then i was still thinking Bug was weak to Poison still.

... Ice isn't Super Effective against Bug.

But Bug was weak to Poison in Gen I.
Though Poison was also weak to Bug in Gen I but meh.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
How the heck are the female protagonists of the Pokémon anime able to shop so much?

I mean it's NEVER implied that they get paid at all while on journey with Ash.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
How the heck are the female protagonists of the Pokémon anime able to shop so much?

I mean it's NEVER implied that they get paid at all while on journey with Ash.

Well, people hand over money when they lose, and it's implied offscreen battling happens by Ash, so maybe they just steal borrow from Ash?

Alternatively, Misty is a Gym Leader, May the daughter of a Gym Leader, Dawn the daughter of a Master Coordinator, and Serena is in the Games the daughter of Veterans.
So, maybe they're just rich?

Though Iris is the outlier.

Sutittaja

Lightning zebra
I have always wondered why Porygon line isn't Electric type. I mean, they are electronical programmes, or like that and they can go inside softwares and computers.

majormanafemale

Gamefreak will never properly fix gyrados typing they made that very ear and yes it sucks. I doubt they will ever fix nindoqueen but we can hope. The tarous and miltank thing they so need prevolution to link them to stop players/watchers from going insane over how that works it doesn't add up like all kanghaskan coming out as mothers.

Prakhar

Normal: The abnormal
I have always wondered why Porygon line isn't Electric type. I mean, they are electronical programmes, or like that and they can go inside softwares and computers.

Perhaps for the same reason why the flabebe line isnt grass..

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I never understood Ash's obsession of using his Pokedex for literally EVERY Pokemon he runs into if he HAS seen them before or even CAUGHT one. The worst example of this would be the BW episode where he puts Charizard onto his team after seeing a Charmander. He pulls out the Dex and it literally tells him the same exact thing as when he found HIS Chamrander abandoned and alone in the forrest about the flame on the tail being it's life force. When I saw him pull out the Pokedex I was like, "Seriously?! You HAD a Charmander. It went with you to three different regions (counting the Orange Islands). It evolved into a Charmeleon and then a Charizard and yet you STILL need info on it?!" I'm surprised it doesn't pull it out for Team Rocket's Pokemon or Meowth whenever they pop up.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I never understood Ash's obsession of using his Pokedex for literally EVERY Pokemon he runs into if he HAS seen them before or even CAUGHT one. The worst example of this would be the BW episode where he puts Charizard onto his team after seeing a Charmander. He pulls out the Dex and it literally tells him the same exact thing as when he found HIS Chamrander abandoned and alone in the forrest about the flame on the tail being it's life force. When I saw him pull out the Pokedex I was like, "Seriously?! You HAD a Charmander. It went with you to three different regions (counting the Orange Islands). It evolved into a Charmeleon and then a Charizard and yet you STILL need info on it?!" I'm surprised it doesn't pull it out for Team Rocket's Pokemon or Meowth whenever they pop up.

The same reason NPCs explain basic things we all know in every new game: to teach the new audiences that haven't enjoyed the older series. It has nothing to do with Ash being an idiot and it's the same reason he's still a 10 year old why Pikachu still loses battles and why Ash basically repeats his adventures every season. They're appealing to new audiences while also trying to keep a storyline for existing audiences.

blob

I personally like Ash looking up dex entries of Pokémon he's seen before. Also, some Pokémon still haven't been checked by the Pokédex in the Animé, like Ekans and Weezing.

phanpycross

God-king

Cause Im sure Iris and Cilan had no interest in knowing anything about charmander...

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The same reason NPCs explain basic things we all know in every new game: to teach the new audiences that haven't enjoyed the older series. It has nothing to do with Ash being an idiot and it's the same reason he's still a 10 year old why Pikachu still loses battles and why Ash basically repeats his adventures every season. They're appealing to new audiences while also trying to keep a storyline for existing audiences.

I understand the basic thing but how could Ash forget about the flame being part of Charmander's life force. That alone played a HUGE factor as to how and why he got his Charmander in the first place. THAT'S the problem here.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
Because of Conversion and Conversion2. Pokémon with type-changing gimmicks are always Normal-type.
(I'd love to see Ash mistake Porygon for an Electric-type in the anime someday, mind... I know, I know...)