• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I understand the basic thing but how could Ash forget about the flame being part of Charmander's life force. That alone played a HUGE factor as to how and why he got his Charmander in the first place. THAT'S the problem here.

But if this new audience has never seen the first season, then it is an importnat thing for them to know. It's not "Ash forgetting," it's Ash relearning it for the audience. I know what you're getting at, saying this is a plot hole. This is more of an intentional direction from the writing staff and not just a character oversight.

gamer_legend

Why the fans think there's something deeply sinister about the Lumiose City train message when the game kinda goes out of it's way to imply that it's where Emma and her ragtag group of friends used to hang out.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Cause Im sure Iris and Cilan had no interest in knowing anything about charmander...

But if this new audience has never seen the first season, then it is an importnat thing for them to know. It's not "Ash forgetting," it's Ash relearning it for the audience. I know what you're getting at, saying this is a plot hole. This is more of an intentional direction from the writing staff and not just a character oversight.

If that's actually the case, then Ash could just explain it to them himself, since he already knows about them.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Banned
Dragons who are often much more powerful and like 20-30x the size (weight AND/OR height) are deathly afraid of...

...fairies.

Bugs are for some reason vulnerable to rocks, but resistant to hand-to-hand combat. I'm pretty sure rocks would be as "easy" for a bug to dodge or shrug off as a (mach-speed) punch.
Ice is the most fragile thing in the game, being weak to:
- Fire (pretty amazing because Fire resists it yet Fire is weak to Water. Do you know what ice turns into when melted?)
- Fighting (what wrestler/fighting person is going to break ice with their hands? Even if they do succeed it will harm them too!)
- Rock (which one was on-top in the Ice Age? the rocks or the ice? hmm.... I'd also like to know how rocks will harm ice outside of human interference)
- Steel (I understand this one loosely if you re-form it to ice-breaking tools, like drills, etc)

And resisting only...
...Ice. No Water resistance here! Not like the water turns to ice when frozen, or anything!

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
If that's actually the case, then Ash could just explain it to them himself, since he already knows about them.

Which was my point exactly. It's not like he DIDN'T know about the flame on Charmander's tail. I even remembered what the Pokedex said the FIRST time Ash saw his Charmander and I haven't seen that particular episode since around 2005 when CN was showing the original episodes on Toonami.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Why hasn't the microorganism known as PokéRus been classified as a pokemon, yet?

People have already proposed the idea of having Virus-type pokemon, especially considering Porygon Z, so I really don't understand why PokéRus hasn't been further explored.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
Why hasn't the microorganism known as PokéRus been classified as a pokemon, yet?

People have already proposed the idea of having Virus-type pokemon, especially considering Porygon Z, so I really don't understand why PokéRus hasn't been further explored.
That… is really interesting, but since it is so small that it infects normal Pokemon, I doubt we'll see it translate into a full-fledged Pokemon anytime soon.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army

Porygon-Z is a COMPUTER virus and thus is far different from the PokeRus.

SBaby

Dungeon Master

If Porygon Z is a computer virus, then it doesn't make sense for him to be included in the PokeDex.

Pink Harzard

So majestic
The Porygon line was created by humans and travel on the internet. But they are sentient, which makes them none less then other Pokémon.

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.

Porygon-Z isn't a virus. It's the data from Porygon2 that has been corrupted by the buggy(and possibly viral) upgrade found on the Dubious Disc(dubious as in largely untested and buggy or sketchy and possibly containing a virus).

I know that a lot of people have looked and wondered about the Remoraid to Octillery line but there's something else that I never really thought about that hard and just partially accepted as a child. Exeggcute and Exeggutor. A bunch of rotting eggs(somehow psychic eggs, mind you) with faces evolves into a multi-coconut-headed walking palm tree. That's pretty wut-inducing.

blob

Porygon-Z isn't a virus. It's the data from Porygon2 that has been corrupted by the buggy(and possibly viral) upgrade found on the Dubious Disc(dubious as in largely untested and buggy or sketchy and possibly containing a virus).

I know that a lot of people have looked and wondered about the Remoraid to Octillery line but there's something else that I never really thought about that hard and just partially accepted as a child. Exeggcute and Exeggutor. A bunch of rotting eggs(somehow psychic eggs, mind you) with faces evolves into a multi-coconut-headed walking palm tree. That's pretty wut-inducing.

I think Porygon-Z will get a Mega Evolution, because its Trophy in New Smash hints at it.

Pink Harzard

So majestic
I think Porygon-Z will get a Mega Evolution, because its Trophy in New Smash hints at it.

Err, I don't have that trophy. Can you maybe show it? I'm a bit sceptical about it.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
Err, I don't have that trophy. Can you maybe show it? I'm a bit sceptical about it.
It says "maybe a patch is in the works?" at the end. I personally don't want a Mega Porygon-Z, purely because it would become an even bigger elephant in the room in the anime than it already is. =/

Akashin

It says "maybe a patch is in the works?" at the end. I personally don't want a Mega Porygon-Z, purely because it would become an even bigger elephant in the room in the anime than it already is. =/

Much as I'm all for a Mega Porygon-Z, I don't quite get why people are thinking that a Mega Evolution that would have existed from the beginning just as every other Mega has would be called a, "patch in the works." Unless the idea is that its Mega Evolution would be an artificial, man-made one?

grey wing

Johto League Champ
How come when you surf in game, you have to use a water type (for the most part)? This implies only water types can swim. But then when you battle a swimming trainer, how can you send out any type to battle in the middle of the ocean? I find it hard to believe that bulky rock types and fire types are suddenly great swimmers. This makes even less sense in newer gens. where the graphics show them literally standing on top of the water like they have some super powers.

Akashin

How come when you surf in game, you have to use a water type (for the most part)? This implies only water types can swim. But then when you battle a swimming trainer, how can you send out any type to battle in the middle of the ocean? I find it hard to believe that bulky rock types and fire types are suddenly great swimmers. This makes even less sense in newer gens. where the graphics show them literally standing on top of the water like they have some super powers.

I know, right? And how can characters in JRPGs be set on fire, have meteors dropped on their head, etc. and shake it off like it's nothing?

Seriously, some things can in fact be written off as just being there because it's a game. And also, the game absolutely does not suggest that only Water types can swim; plenty of non-Water types can Surf.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I know, right? And how can characters in JRPGs be set on fire, have meteors dropped on their head, etc. and shake it off like it's nothing?

Seriously, some things can in fact be written off as just being there because it's a game. And also, the game absolutely does not suggest that only Water types can swim; plenty of non-Water types can Surf.

There's also the "platforms" beneath them in battle. Notice circles below each Pokemon in Surfing and Soaring battles. I'd like to think that the surfing/soaring Pokemon also have the power to create the platforms the battling Pokemon stand on.

Or we can just get over it and accept that it happens all the time, like you said.