• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
That's nothing! You should look at Steel Wing.

Kyurem: Wingless base form. Can learn Steel Wing
Doduo and Dodrio: Wingless birds. Can learn Steel Wing
Elgyem and Beheeyem: Wingless aliens. Can learn Steel Wing
Leavanny: Wingless bug. Can learn Steel Wing
Butterfree, Beedrill, Venomoth, Ledyba, Ledian, Heracross, Beautifly, Dustox, Masquerain, Ninjask, Shedinja, Volbeat, Illumise, Mothim, Combee, Vespiquen, Volcarona and Vivillon: Winged bugs. Can't learn Steel Wing

In fact, the only winged bugs which CAN learn Steel Wing are: Scyther, Scizor, Yanma and Yanmega.

But at least these Pokémon can use these moves.

Genderless Pokémon learning attract cannot use it at all.

grey wing

Johto League Champ

Butterfree, Beedrill, Venomoth, Ledyba, Ledian, Heracross, Beautifly, Dustox, Masquerain, Ninjask, Shedinja, Volbeat, Illumise, Mothim, Combee, Vespiquen, Volcarona and Vivillon: Winged bugs. Can't learn Steel Wing

In fact, the only winged bugs which CAN learn Steel Wing are: Scyther, Scizor, Yanma and Yanmega.

This kind of reminds me of Fly:
doduo and dodrio- no wings, but still flying types that can use fly. At this point, I'm imagining them spinning their necks like a helicopter.
scyther- bug and flying, has wings, can't fly.

Also, why is gyarados even a flying type? Seriously, it's a huge sea serpent. Wouldn't dragon or dark have made sense as a second typing?

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Also, why is gyarados even a flying type? Seriously, it's a huge sea serpent. Wouldn't dragon or dark have made sense as a second typing?
Well,it's partially based on a wind sock,so this sort of makes sense.Also,it'd be overpowered in Generation I had it been part Dragon.

RedJirachi

Veteran member

Well flightless birds do have wings, so maybe they're just vestigal. Also Kyurem's base form kind of has wings in those frozen appendages. Other than that, I don't know

Firebrand

Indomitable

I always kind of thought it might be a balancing thing. Sure the flying type doesn't do it all that many favors, but especially in Gen I when it was really, really overpowered, the addition of the flying type made it more susceptible to electric attacks and gave it a rock weakness, so it could be taken down more easily. Same reason most dragon types until very recently had an easily exploitable other weakness, usually making them x4 weak to Ice.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Here is something that doesn't make sense. And keep in mind that I don't want it to change.

It's the fact that hyper beam and explosion are not very effective against rock and steel types.

What happens with you blow up a rock or something made out of steel? It gets destroyed.

I don't want either move to be super effective against rock or steel types because it'd be way too overpowered. It just doesn't make much sense is all I'm saying.

CuriousHeartless

On the Fly thing, I feel the need to remind everyone that the game IS made in Japanese, so you should probably check to see if something important was changed in translation (Which is easy to do on Bulbapedia). The original name of Fly can also be translated as Sky Jump, which is why some flightless Pokémon can use it (Doesn't clear up all weirdness, but it does cover Dodrio and Doduo).

Cradily17

One thing I don't get is why Aggron can't learn Crunch or other fang moves. Are you telling me that a colossal metal beast is incapable of biting things?

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
One thing I don't get is why Aggron can't learn Crunch or other fang moves. Are you telling me that a colossal metal beast is incapable of biting things?

I looked at it, and yeah you're right, it can't. Weird.

It should by all means be able to move crunch over a darn Squirtle since its mouth is so small and not very powerful.

I mean yeah Squirtle can't learn crunch, but it still can learn bite, it's the same thing, just like ember is the same thing as flamethrower.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
I looked at it, and yeah you're right, it can't. Weird.

It should by all means be able to move crunch over a darn Squirtle since its mouth is so small and not very powerful.

I mean yeah Squirtle can't learn crunch, but it still can learn bite, it's the same thing, just like ember is the same thing as flamethrower.

I wouldn't go that far at all. Yes, both contain the same elements (in your example, both attacks involve generating fire), but to say they are the same thing is a stretch. That would be like saying an eye dropper is the same thing as a fire hose; yes, they both expel water/liquids, but at very different rates and volumes. Same goes for Pokemon attacks. Maybe some Pokemon are only capable of producing a little fire as opposed to a raging stream. Therefore, it would make sense for Squirtle to learn bite since it has a tiny mouth and bite is a "lighter" version of crunch.

The fact that Aggron can't learn Crunch though, yes, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. However, I will say that if the game designers made every Pokemon able to learn moves that they "should be able to use," it would become absurd and nearly impossible to keep track of. For example, EVERY Pokemon with a tail then should be able to learn tail whip. But just why? Do you see what I mean?

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I wouldn't go that far at all. Yes, both contain the same elements (in your example, both attacks involve generating fire), but to say they are the same thing is a stretch. That would be like saying an eye dropper is the same thing as a fire hose; yes, they both expel water/liquids, but at very different rates and volumes. Same goes for Pokemon attacks. Maybe some Pokemon are only capable of producing a little fire as opposed to a raging stream. Therefore, it would make sense for Squirtle to learn bite since it has a tiny mouth and bite is a "lighter" version of crunch.

If you can name me one Pokémon that can learn ember but can't learn flamethrower (or any fire-type attacking move more powerful than ember for that matter) I might take your word for it. Until them I'm considering ember and flamethrower the same thing.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
If you can name me one Pokémon that can learn ember but can't learn flamethrower (or any fire-type attacking move more powerful than ember for that matter) I might take your word for it. Until them I'm considering ember and flamethrower the same thing.

There is not only a difference in power but also a difference in the meanings of the words themselves. Embers are small pieces of burning wood or coal, only burning from heat through the fire. A flamethrower produces a large stream of fire. Two very different things.

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
Don't you think that's a little unfair considering that Flamethrower and Fire Blast are both TMs while Ember isn't (and that Ember is the second weakest Fire attack, so all but one Fire attack is more powerful)? Besides, to say that they're the same thing is incorrect because Flamethrower is based off of a much more powerful object (a flamethrower) whereas Ember is based off of embers. This is why there is such a big difference in power. It's like saying a sparrow and an eagle are the same because they're both birds.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Don't you think that's a little unfair considering that Flamethrower and Fire Blast are both TMs while Ember isn't (and that Ember is the second weakest Fire attack, so all but one Fire attack is more powerful)? Besides, to say that they're the same thing is incorrect because Flamethrower is based off of a much more powerful object (a flamethrower) whereas Ember is based off of embers. This is why there is such a big difference in power. It's like saying a sparrow and an eagle are the same because they're both birds.

Nope, you're wrong, it isn't the second worst it IS the worst.

Fire Spin's base 35 damage doesn't count since the damage from the secondary effect counts as well.

But I will admit it, calling them the same thing is wrong. I still don't notice much of a difference, but that's just me.

Tangeh

It eats with the hole on its back...

I don't think souls count. xD Shedinja doesn't eat in amie. Neither do kakana/ spewpa/ any "cocoon" pokemon. They don't even have fullness meters.

Why can Pokemon like Regice eat, but Shedinja cannot?

Registeel has a pokedex entry that says "nobody has any idea what this pokemon eats". The better question would be "how", because the answer to "what" is pokepuffs, clearly ~

Cocoons are living things that specifically do not eat. ...and shedinja can't move and can't breathe, so there's no reason it should be able to eat.