• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
...and shedinja can't move and can't breathe, so there's no reason it should be able to eat.

Yes, it can move, how else do you expect it to use the moves it uses in battle?

Creyk

Cocoons are living things that specifically do not eat. ...and shedinja can't move and can't breathe, so there's no reason it should be able to eat.

Wait, so it could just fly out into space and it would be all right?
Since it needs no oxygen?
And it could just go underwater no problem for any length of time? Could all ghost pokemon do this? /creepy/

XXD17

Draco rex
That's nothing! You should look at Steel Wing.

Kyurem: Wingless base form. Can learn Steel Wing
Doduo and Dodrio: Wingless birds. Can learn Steel Wing
Elgyem and Beheeyem: Wingless aliens. Can learn Steel Wing
Leavanny: Wingless bug. Can learn Steel Wing
Butterfree, Beedrill, Venomoth, Ledyba, Ledian, Heracross, Beautifly, Dustox, Masquerain, Ninjask, Shedinja, Volbeat, Illumise, Mothim, Combee, Vespiquen, Volcarona and Vivillon: Winged bugs. Can't learn Steel Wing

In fact, the only winged bugs which CAN learn Steel Wing are: Scyther, Scizor, Yanma and Yanmega.

Elgyem and beheeyem were mishap's on Game freak's part I believe...the reason they can learn steel wing is because it is TM 51, a reference to area 51...back in fifth gen, TM 51 was ally switch and it made sense that the elgyem line could learn it...in sixth gen when they turned tm 51 in steel wing, they completely forgot that the elgyem line must get TM 51 no matter what so they ended up giving it steel wing instead of reprogramming everything...that's my thought anyways...

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Elgyem and beheeyem were mishap's on Game freak's part I believe...the reason they can learn steel wing is because it is TM 51, a reference to area 51...back in fifth gen, TM 51 was ally switch and it made sense that the elgyem line could learn it...in sixth gen when they turned tm 51 in steel wing, they completely forgot that the elgyem line must get TM 51 no matter what so they ended up giving it steel wing instead of reprogramming everything...that's my thought anyways...

Also it pilots a flying saucer, which'd be made of metal. It's actually kind of genius how subtle this is

Phantump, the ghost of a child, is breedable. That's both disgusting and non-nonsensical

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Yes, it can move, how else do you expect it to use the moves it uses in battle?

It has a natural projection and concentration of energy.

While Shedinja itself does not move, it can utilize its power to make itself move, much like how telekinetic can use their power to make themselves fly.

UnitRico

Also it pilots a flying saucer, which'd be made of metal. It's actually kind of genius how subtle this is

Phantump, the ghost of a child, is breedable. That's both disgusting and non-nonsensical

Or so the Pokédex says, referencing folklore. Not exactly the most trustworthy of sources, I'd say.

NotABeginningTrainer

It has a natural projection and concentration of energy.

While Shedinja itself does not move, it can utilize its power to make itself move, much like how telekinetic can use their power to make themselves fly.

I guess you can believe that, but it kind of seems like splitting hairs to me. I really don't think a weird explanation is needed. There's no way to prove it either way so I guess we're stuck arguing about it. :)

Ascended Dialga

Confuse Ray works on Normal-type Pokémon, Glare works on Ghost-type Pokémon, and Sand-Attack works on Flying-type Pokémon...so why DOESN'T Thunder Wave work on Ground-type Pokémon?

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Confuse Ray works on Normal-type Pokémon, Glare works on Ghost-type Pokémon, and Sand-Attack works on Flying-type Pokémon...so why DOESN'T Thunder Wave work on Ground-type Pokémon?

I assume this is because the status moves you mentioned affect stats or inflict volatile status ailments, while Thunder Wave inflicts a non-volatile status ailment.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I assume this is because the status moves you mentioned affect stats or inflict volatile status ailments, while Thunder Wave inflicts a non-volatile status ailment.

If ground-types were immune to paralyze you might have a point, but they don't. A Delcatty with normalize can paralyze them from what I heard from others.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Glare inflicts a non-volatile status ailment,too.That reminds me:I once tried to use Dunsparce's Glare on a Misdreavus,but it failed for some reason.

Creyk

What actually happens when a pokemon uses various psychic type moves on another?
For example, I imagine that psychic throws them around, like slams them up against a nearby tree/wall whatever. Extrasensory could make them so sensitive that even the wind blowing causes pain by irratiting the pain receptors (?), or maybe induce a very strong headache?
But could it be that for example the pokemon using psychic stops the opponents lungs from functioning, stops it's blood circulation, or just simply restricts air flow? That would be pretty badass.

HM02gon

Waiting...
What actually happens when a pokemon uses various psychic type moves on another?
For example, I imagine that psychic throws them around, like slams them up against a nearby tree/wall whatever. Extrasensory could make them so sensitive that even the wind blowing causes pain by irratiting the pain receptors (?), or maybe induce a very strong headache?
But could it be that for example the pokemon using psychic stops the opponents lungs from functioning, stops it's blood circulation, or just simply restricts air flow? That would be pretty badass.

As awesome as that would be, we must remember that it's a kids game.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Why can't Nidorina and Nidoqueen breed but Nidorino and Nidoking can? It has never been explained or even rationalized.

ATA

Why can't Nidorina and Nidoqueen breed but Nidorino and Nidoking can? It has never been explained or even rationalized.

Possibly because there is no possible explanation that will make sense? I mean, why can't they breed when every other non-legendary Pokemon can, even those without gender? The fact that even their own male counterparts cannot breed with them IMO means that there is virtually no way they can explain it satisfyingly.