• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Any Pokemon that has a mouth can bite. That doesn't mean that they can Bite. There is a difference.

OK OK. I really think that docile Pokémon are an exception.

The thing in Pokémon that absolutely doesn't make sense to me is Reshiram as Black's version mascot and Zekrom as White's version mascot. Reshiram is colored white and Zekrom is colored black. These contrasting use of colors really puzzle me.

OK OK. I really think that docile Pokémon are an exception.

The thing in Pokémon that absolutely doesn't make sense to me is Reshiram as Black's version mascot and Zekrom as White's version mascot. Reshiram is colored white and Zekrom is colored black. These contrasting use of colors really puzzle me.

It had to do with the whole 'Yin and Yang' concept, I believe. Not too sure though.

Akashin

It had to do with the whole 'Yin and Yang' concept, I believe. Not too sure though.

Seeing as the Yin Yang symbol is a black circle inside the white half and a white circle inside the black half (it wouldn't surprise me if Zekrom and Reshiram's Dark and Light Stone forms came in part from this, at that), this is it exactly.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Seeing as the Yin Yang symbol is a black circle inside the white half and a white circle inside the black half (it wouldn't surprise me if Zekrom and Reshiram's Dark and Light Stone forms came in part from this, at that), this is it exactly.

OK OK, the part with a white dot in the Yin part and a black dot in the Yang part seems to clarify it the most.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Pikachu and its evolutionary relatives not being able to learn Bite or related attacks - as mice, they should be able to learn these moves, as real-life mice must gnaw on stuff constantly to keep their incisors from growing too big (the same goes for all rodents).

But here is the thing, Raichu and its evolution relatives aren't mice. They are Pokémon that look similar to mice.

That's the thing about Pokémon, they are creatures that are just based on real-life animals. But none of them actually are that animal.

Also, look at Pikachu and Raichu. Do they even look like they can make a powerful bite? Considering how small their teeth are, and how they barely do any harm, I don't think so.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
I'm guessing Hariyama learning Brine is a reference to how it can learn Surf which is used to cross the ocean in some games, particularly the Hoenn region. Brine is a type of salt water.

The whole Brine move has perplexed me since it's inception. Brine is salt water. Is the move Brine in reference to something exhausted in the surf zone, so each wave now deals even more damage? Is it in reference to something treading water, and the move is the coup de grace? Is it just a massive deluge of salt water on someone's back that they just cannot handle any longer? Is Brine the PG equivalent to... water boarding?! O____O!

That would be horrific. While we're on this weird translation topic, Smelling Salts? The animation was originally two handed face smacks, and it still is. Why didn't they call just it Smack Attack?! We have Smack Down, we have Quick Attack, I think Smack Attack would be much more intuitive and catchy! And it should also deal double damage to (and cure) confused Pokémon, to bring them back down to planet earth. Dear Lord, everything about these two moves is wrong!!!

At least we have Wake-up Slap.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
How can Shroomish learn mach punch but yammega cant learn fly?

I just looked it up to make sure, Shroomish cannot learn Mach Punch. Breloom can, but not Shroomish. As for Yammega, since Fly is an HM used in the field, it is given out in accordance to what can be imagined as flying a trainer across a region. Yammega couldn't really do this.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
As for Yammega, since Fly is an HM used in the field, it is given out in accordance to what can be imagined as flying a trainer across a region. Yammega couldn't really do this.

That explanation doesn't really work since Pidgey and Zubat can learn fly, and these are too small to let trainers ride along.

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
My biggest Pokémon question is... If Ash is still 10 (stated at the beginning of the 5th generation I believe) and in an early episode (it was a side episode) Ash tells Pikachu it's been exactly one year since they met. The episode aired as a side episode after the first Pokémon league. Ash was 10 when he met Pikachu, so he'd have to be at least 11. I'm pretty sure the Pokémon Leagues only happen once a year. Therefore, Ash would have to be around 16 at the Kalos League. Maybe older because of the Orange Islands and the Battle Frontier. I'm wondering if this twist of words at the begin of the fifth generation meant that he had started at 10, which would make a lot more sense.
;025; I know it's a cartoon, but some growth is always nice. I mean, the show has been on for almost 20 years. I'm not asking for him to be aged 20 years.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
That explanation doesn't really work since Pidgey and Zubat can learn fly, and these are too small to let trainers ride along.

I excuse those ones off as the fact that they're common Pokemon, and the developers want people to have easy access to Pokemon that can use Fly. Pokemon like Yammega are not common, so it was exempt from such reasoning.

My biggest Pokémon question is... If Ash is still 10 (stated at the beginning of the 5th generation I believe) and in an early episode (it was a side episode) Ash tells Pikachu it's been exactly one year since they met. The episode aired as a side episode after the first Pokémon league. Ash was 10 when he met Pikachu, so he'd have to be at least 11. I'm pretty sure the Pokémon Leagues only happen once a year. Therefore, Ash would have to be around 16 at the Kalos League. Maybe older because of the Orange Islands and the Battle Frontier. I'm wondering if this twist of words at the begin of the fifth generation meant that he had started at 10, which would make a lot more sense.
;025; I know it's a cartoon, but some growth is always nice. I mean, the show has been on for almost 20 years. I'm not asking for him to be aged 20 years.

There are actually two separate times where Ash says its been a year since they started. You can really just chalk those up as the writers either not caring, not yet deciding that Ash won't age, or making a mistake. Regardless, Ash is 10 years old according to current Pokemon canon. Looking at him, it's obvious he hasn't aged more than a year, and honestly, I don't think it's that big of a deal that he doesn't age. A lot of cartoon characters don't age.

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
I excuse those ones off as the fact that they're common Pokemon, and the developers want people to have easy access to Pokemon that can use Fly. Pokemon like Yammega are not common, so it was exempt from such reasoning.

There are actually two separate times where Ash says its been a year since they started. You can really just chalk those up as the writers either not caring, not yet deciding that Ash won't age, or making a mistake. Regardless, Ash is 10 years old according to current Pokemon canon. Looking at him, it's obvious he hasn't aged more than a year, and honestly, I don't think it's that big of a deal that he doesn't age. A lot of cartoon characters don't age.

I am aware, but I find this amusing. The point is Ash is still 10 and why they don't want him to age is beyond me. Probably because he's a cartoon character and they want younger fans to find him an appealing character to watch. A lot of these things really aren't a big deal. In the Pokémon world it wouldn't make any sense at all though.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan

You might ask the same question about Donald Duck, Peter Griffin, Superman and more. These are characters who don't age either.

It's common in fiction that characters don't age. And there is no problem with that. The reason a lot of fictional characters don't age is so they will last forever.

Toasted

It's probably been mentioned before, but... how does the whole battling on water thing work? I mean, I guess if you were close to a coast, you could let the Pokemon out there, but... like, I'm pretty sure Gigalith can't swim in the middle of the ocean? And like, I have serious doubts that Aggron could fit on like a Clawitzer or something. The same applies to battling in the sky. I'm relatively sure gravity still applies in the Pokemon world.

I'm also strongly puzzled by the sheer amount of perfectly outlined surfing areas in Pokemon, ya know, stuck between rocks and the like. I'm no expert in geology, but we're several generations in and it seems almost miraculous that all of the regions have routes that are just perfectly made. I'm talking from the perspective of someone living in the Pokemon world. Has literally no trainer questioned this?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It's probably been mentioned before, but... how does the whole battling on water thing work? I mean, I guess if you were close to a coast, you could let the Pokemon out there, but... like, I'm pretty sure Gigalith can't swim in the middle of the ocean? And like, I have serious doubts that Aggron could fit on like a Clawitzer or something. The same applies to battling in the sky. I'm relatively sure gravity still applies in the Pokemon world.

Yeah, but my guess is that the Pokémon are standing on some hidden platform if they're not suited to be in water or flying.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
I just looked it up to make sure, Shroomish cannot learn Mach Punch. Breloom can, but not Shroomish. As for Yammega, since Fly is an HM used in the field, it is given out in accordance to what can be imagined as flying a trainer across a region. Yammega couldn't really do this.

I think they meant Focus Punch, it's an egg move. Still no real explaination, maybe it's using it's foot?...

@ Toasted

Nevermind fighting in/on water, how about battling Pokemon while soaring! The density of water while a liquid is magnitudes greater than as a gas. That's when we all hold our hands up and say, "It's just a game."

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
What I recall being odd and not making much sense is Jessabelle's sex dungeon. Which doesn't even make more sense that it's located inside James' parents' mansion. Does she actually live with them?

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
And Jessebelle has an identical appearance to Jessie. Separated at birth?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
And Jessebelle has an identical appearance to Jessie. Separated at birth?

I don't and we don't know what really happened to them. I assume that their similar appearances are coincidental.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I also think Jesse looking like Jessabelle was a joke and not meant to be nothing more than that. It is completely different than how all the Joys and Jennys are related to each other. Jessie and Jessabelle have one thing different from each other and I think it's eye color.