• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm pretty sure someone has posited this before, but why are we able to catch legendaries?

Particularly, why are we able to catch Arceus?

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
I just received an Ekans through Wonder Trade that knows Sucker Punch. I'm presuming its a Japanese-English mistranslation.

Bananarama

The light is coming
I just received an Ekans through Wonder Trade that knows Sucker Punch. I'm presuming its a Japanese-English mistranslation.

In Japan, the move "Sucker Punch" isn't actually a punch. It's known as "Surprise Attack" there. It was just translated that way in English.

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
In Japan, the move "Sucker Punch" isn't actually a punch. It was just translated that way in English.

Exactly, in English it doesn't make sense because Ekans does not have hands though.

Winter Breeze

formely joseph.

Suker punch's japanese name is literally "surprise attack". It does not involve any "punch".EDIT: ninja'd...
PrinceOfFacade said:
I'm pretty sure someone has posited this before, but why are we able to catch legendaries?

This quote from ghetsis explains why:
"A pokemon, even if revered as a deity, is still a pokemon!"

Last edited:

Akashin

Exactly, in English it doesn't make sense because Ekans does not have hands though.

Even in English it's not particularly a problem, because an attack being a sucker punch refers more to the element of surprise behind the attack than it literally being a punch. The attack's description obviously makes no mention of it being a punch, too.

I think the translation is mostly fine for what the attack is. And sucker punch sounds dirtier than surprise attack, which fits the move's typing.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Normally, before you are able to catch Legendaries, two things happen. First, you defeat the Team of the game and save the region, and second, you become the Champion of the region. Both things might prove your worthiness to Legendary Pokemon, which explains why you have to wait to capture them normally. With event Pokemon like Arceus, the extra requirement of having their event item comes into play, proving yourself to be that much more worthy.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
How Pokémon in Pokémon-Amie seem to eat Poké Puffs without actually having a visible mouth.

I don't get why multiple Pokemon movies have "The Movie" in the titles.
It just seems like something that would be used if there was only ever going to be one movie that sums things up in the Pokemon world as a whole.

My best guess for this is that it has something to do with when they get translated into English from Japanese. Other than that, I'm not sure.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Darkrai and Keldeo as event pokemon doesn't really make sense to me. Darkrai is basically the opposite of Cresselia and should be in the game. Keldeo is the member of the swordsmen and should be also caught in game. Why were they event only is beyond me.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Darkrai and Keldeo as event pokemon doesn't really make sense to me. Darkrai is basically the opposite of Cresselia and should be in the game. Keldeo is the member of the swordsmen and should be also caught in game. Why were they event only is beyond me.

The thing about Darkrai was probably it was too overpowered in game so they made it event only. Maybe it may had applied to Keldeo as well.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think Keldeo is an Event Pokemon because it is supposed to be a lost younger Pokemon the other Swordsmen were taking care of it after they found it. At some point in time, Keldeo left the group by itself to explore the world like many young people do once they graduate high school. This is evident in BW in the Marsh when you go there and Keldeo is in your party and the old man tells you the story.

Shadow_Lugia_XD001

Guess who's back

Nevermind that. What about Pokémon like Yamask and Phantump?

Going by their Pokédex entries, it's pretty messed up. They were human once, surely the people of Pokémon would have more respect for the dead instead of capturing these Pokémon?

Yamask's is especially sad... "Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry."
"These Pokémon arose from the spirits of people interred in graves in past ages. Each retains memories of its former life."

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Nevermind that. What about Pokémon like Yamask and Phantump?

Going by their Pokédex entries, it's pretty messed up. They were human once, surely the people of Pokémon would have more respect for the dead instead of capturing these Pokémon?

Yamask's is especially sad... "Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry."
"These Pokémon arose from the spirits of people interred in graves in past ages. Each retains memories of its former life."

This reinforces the idea of afterlife, which, in this case, a human can be reborn as a Pokémon (and retain former memories of being a human).

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
It doesn't make sense to me that Growlithe cannot learn Lick. As a dog-like Pokemon, it should be able to learn this move as dogs often lick their owners in excitement. I think all dog-like Pokemon should be able to learn the move.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
How a trainer (aka Ash, Team Rocket etc) can get blown up, electrocuted, and even burned but still walk away with barely any effects to them. Yes i get it its an anime but still....just something that kinda bothers me

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
It doesn't make sense to me that Growlithe cannot learn Lick. As a dog-like Pokemon, it should be able to learn this move as dogs often lick their owners in excitement. I think all dog-like Pokemon should be able to learn the move.

Just because a Pokemon can lick doesn't mean it can Lick. There's a difference. Pokemon attacks, even some of the more mundane seeming ones, are not just what's described in the name. Just licking another Pokemon wouldn't cause damage or Paralysis. It's for the same reason that not all Pokemon with fists can learn the elemental punch moves, or why not all Pokemon with teeth can learn Bite.

How a trainer (aka Ash, Team Rocket etc) can get blown up, electrocuted, and even burned but still walk away with barely any effects to them. Yes i get it its an anime but still....just something that kinda bothers me

This is one of those questions where you've got to remember the name of this thread (Things in the Pokemon World which just don't Make Sense (by Pokemon Standards)). By Pokemon standards, there's nothing that doesn't make sense here, because obviously it's a lot harder to get hurt in the Pokemon World. What wouldn't make sense is if we had an episode where Team Rocket got seriously injured by Pikachu.

raichu27

I've been thinking the same thing for Slurpuff. I've saw it licking people and Pokemon in the anime.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I've been thinking the same thing for Slurpuff. I've saw it licking people and Pokemon in the anime.

Probably because it doesn't usually use its tongue to attack, but it can lick. The thing is not all Pokémon that can lick can attack with their tongue.