• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
The huge amount of Nurse Joys and Officer Jennys never made sense to me. It is one thing to have twins or triplets but to have a hundred same looking Joy or Jenny is just insane. How can a mother produce so many offspring that looks exactly the same?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The huge amount of Nurse Joys and Officer Jennys never made sense to me. It is one thing to have twins or triplets but to have a hundred same looking Joy or Jenny is just insane. How can a mother produce so many offspring that looks exactly the same?

They probably have something special going on genetically. The best I can figure is that all the genes that make a Nurse Joy/Officer Jenny what they are are dominant traits, and there would have to be some sort of unknown selective mechanism during meiosis passing these traits down 100% of the time instead of 50% (or at least a significantly high percentage of the time) to the next generation. There would also have to be some sort of inhibitor gene on the X chromosome that is a recessive trait. That way if it the X chromosome is paired up with a Y chromosome (making a male) there would be nothing to block it, so it would function and inhibit the Joy/Jenny genes, making a normal boy. If its paired with another X chromosome (making a girl) then being recessive would mean it would be blocked by the corresponding "normal person gene" on the other X chromosome, allowing the Joy/Jenny genetics to show.

An even wackier theory might involve mitochondrial DNA. Mitochondrial DNA is also passed down from the mother, and is 100% identical to the mother's mitochondrial DNA. Normally, mitochondrial DNA has no affect on anything but the mitochondria, but maybe Joys and Jennies are different. Maybe in a female offspring of a Joy or Jenny, the mitochondrial DNA is released from the mitochondria and takes the place of normal DNA early in development. (This is complete science fiction by the way, there is no reason to believe this is possible, but it is a scientific explanation for a show full of things just as impossible.)

Yes, I have spent time thinking about this while I was sitting in my AP Biology class.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~

Or maybe one Nurse Joy has lots of aunts that are elderly Nurse Joys so maybe they could just be part of one large family.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Or maybe it's a joke in the show due to the fact that, you know, the same nurse is at every Pokémon Center. It's not meant to make sense.

majormanafemale

They aren't siblings primarly cousins. Sadly ks possible to look identical or very similar to your cousin how do I know. My cousin and I use to be mistaken for twins. Even when my hair was still light and he had dark hair.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Porygon seemingly able to eat Poké Puffs in Pokémon-Amie even though it doesn't appear to have a mouth.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Porygon seemingly able to eat Poké Puffs in Pokémon-Amie even though it doesn't appear to have a mouth.

A lot of Pokémon appear to not have mouths. It's just easier to portray all the Pokémon eating the same food in the same manner than trying to demonstrate different eating habits and foods for each individual. Not to mention, they probably just wanted to allow every trainer to be able to feed their favorite Pokémon the way every other trainer does.

Br0k3n s0Ul

Br0k3n sOUl
A lot of Pokémon appear to not have mouths. It's just easier to portray all the Pokémon eating the same food in the same manner than trying to demonstrate different eating habits and foods for each individual. Not to mention, they probably just wanted to allow every trainer to be able to feed their favorite Pokémon the way every other trainer does.

This reminds me of the mask that pulls back when you feed Origin Giratina Poke Puffs. It's just the cutest thing!

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
This reminds me of the mask that pulls back when you feed Origin Giratina Poke Puffs. It's just the cutest thing!

Saw that too in the Giratina movie, when about to use a move. It's literally Giratina's mouth.

VP Turtwig

Master Hand
Okay, Shinx can have the ability Intimidate, right? Well, if someone were to send out a Shinx with this ability against, say, Rayquaza, then Rayquaza, a mighty, powerful dragon, would end up being scared of a cute little lion cub.

How...?

Hmmm... Maybe it works like in nature, like how some animals extend frills to make themselves look bigger? Maybe Shinx extends a giant frill to mane of electricity?

VP Turtwig

Master Hand
How a trainer (aka Ash, Team Rocket etc) can get blown up, electrocuted, and even burned but still walk away with barely any effects to them. Yes i get it its an anime but still....just something that kinda bothers me

If animes were real... Japan would still be at war with us.

VP Turtwig

Master Hand

They probably have some cloning tool.

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Hmmm... Maybe it works like in nature, like how some animals extend frills to make themselves look bigger? Maybe Shinx extends a giant frill to mane of electricity?

I would say that's a pretty sound argument.

(Also, try not to double post. I don't want you to get in trouble with the mods.)

Taijitu

Isn't it obvious? Nurse Joy is a Pokemon. Whatever the mother Pokemon is determines what species the offspring will be.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Here's one that has never been answered. How do TMs and HMs teach Pokemon new moves if it is a disc? Is there a special unseen machine that sends out some beam that teaches the move associated with the disc or is it like Dorkly's Pokemon Rusty where you literally shove the TM into the Pokemon's mouth?

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
Here's one that has never been answered. How do TMs and HMs teach Pokemon new moves if it is a disc? Is there a special unseen machine that sends out some beam that teaches the move associated with the disc or is it like Dorkly's Pokemon Rusty where you literally shove the TM into the Pokemon's mouth?

It's a disc that the Pokémon watches. Like an instructional DVD.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
If it's like a DVD then why are they represented as discs and nothing else? Where and how would you play them?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
If it's like a DVD then why are they represented as discs and nothing else? Where and how would you play them?

Maybe through a hidden TM/HM player in the bag, though this is unofficial. Though possible.

Akashin

Maybe something in the bag does it, maybe the TM can do it by itself.

Either way, I feel like this is a case where the 'by Pokemon standards' in the thread title should be stressed. By Pokemon standards, TMs/HMs somehow being capable of doing their thing is something that just is; there's nothing nonsensical about it from an in-universe perspective.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

My theory has always been that the player carries around a machine that directly downloads the information of the TM into the mind of the Pokemon. That's how I interpreted the TM teaching scenes in Fire Red/Leaf Green.

My other thought is that if TMs were to ever appear in the anime, that teaching a TM would require going to a Pokemon Center, where they have these same machines (just not portable).