1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Doomsdaytreecko, Jan 30, 2012.

1. SlowPokeBroKing

SlowPokeBroKing Future Gym Leader

Was the Linoone at full health? Because it could have potentially been attempting to heal them but couldn't due to it being at full HP already.

2. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

^Twenty times in a row though? It was at full health but it is very unlikely that Present was trying to heal every single time considering the 20% chance of healing coming into effect 20 in a row straight.

3. ninijatt

ninijatt Half, ninja, half cat, all attitude

Eh, I respect your opinion because it definitely makes sense but from a game design perspective, I have to disagree.

4. Sutittaja

Sutittaja Lightning zebra

I have always wondered why Acid Armor doesn't raise evasion. I mesn if you melt your body and become invisible, how does that raise defense but not evasion.

5. yael1225

yael1225 New Member

Floating Geodude... 'nuff said.

6. Alexander18

Alexander18 Banned

Drayden not being champion in Black 2. Iris was the gym leader in White and was made champion for White 2 but she wasn't the gym leader in Black. They still let her be champion in Black 2 despite Drayden being the gym leader of Black. It would have made sense to make him champion of Black 2.

7. Akashin

Akashin Well-Known Member

The context of how she came to be Champion wouldn't have really made any sense had it been done in reverse, though.

8. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

They probably just weren't ready to have a version exclusive Champion yet. Honestly, I don't see it as that much of a problem. What bugged me about that scenario was in Black and White, Drayden was the master and Iris the student, and yet it was Iris that became the Champion.

9. SlowPokeBroKing

SlowPokeBroKing Future Gym Leader

Which means the student became the master after years of training.

10. Pikachu52

Pikachu52 Well-Known Member

To be fair they did that in Emerald too. Juan said he was Wallace's Mentor

11. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Maybe it's just because of how young Iris seemed (or that I was used to the Iris in the show, who could never be Champion), but that explanation just never sat right with me.

They did I suppose. However, since we never meet Juan in Ruby and Sapphire, I had always justified it as Juan being called in as a replacement Gym Leader when Wallace became Champion. It wasn't necessarily a simple case of Wallace moving above his master, as Juan didn't stay stationary like Drayden did.

12. Pikachu52

Pikachu52 Well-Known Member

But Wallace is harder to beat than Juan (unless you catch Rayquaza) which suggests he may have surpassed his old mentor.

13. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

It never made much sense to me to make the one breedable legendary be Manaphy. Not a gendered legendary like the Lati twins, not the introduced Heatran who has both genders...no, for some reason this Pokemon was chosen to be the one legendary that can reproduce. Not even Diancie, who is explictly a mutated non-legendary

14. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

Part of it probably came from the fact that Manaphy is received from an egg, so the first of many people who just hatched their Manaphy might be to check and see if they can go get another Manaphy egg. It's also just a special gimmick for Manaphy, sort of like how Deoxys' gimmick is form changing or Kyurem's gimmick is fusion.

15. Cerony

Cerony grass monkey

Unless there's some kind of bug or manipulation happening with the game then that's really the only explanation. Go buy a lottery ticket!

16. RedJirachi

Still doesn't explain why Dianice can't breed Carbink, despite originating from one

17. Bguy7

Bguy7 The Dragon Lord

I think I answered that question in another thread, but I would assume that lore-wise, Diancie's mutation was so great that it is no longer able to interbreed with Carbink or produce Carbink offspring. This is consistent with scientific classifications of species, where a mutation (or more likely an accumulation of mutations) is considered to make a new species when the mutant can no longer breed with the progenitor species. As Diancie is considered a different species of Pokemon from Carbink, scientifically speaking, it makes sense that it can't have Carbink offspring.

18. RedJirachi

Kangaskhan-Programmed to breed, despite its eggs still having the baby inside of them
    Nidorina and Nidoqueen-Not programmed to breed, despite Nidoran Female being breedable

Pokemon logic, amirite?

19. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria ☆~Shiny hunter▢~ and Animal Crossing

Yeah, and still, Mew has the DNA of all Pokémon, can use Transform like Ditto does and yet, still can't breed.

20. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

What about how Heatran has both genders? I've always thought it was odd since it can't breed due to it being Legendary and also not like it even had a gender.