• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Things in the Pokémon world which just don't make sense (by pokémon standards)

Akashin

And it makes no sense that Mud Shot, an attack that involves flinging mud, doesn't work on Flying Pokemon despite not traveling along the ground. Game mechanics trump logic in some places, plain and simple.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Emboar using Scald doesn't make sense to me. How would a primarily Fire type Pokémon shoot hot water/steam at the opponent?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Emboar using Scald doesn't make sense to me. How would a primarily Fire type Pokémon shoot hot water/steam at the opponent?

I've always imagined it as releasing steam through its nostrils. It's a bit of a cartoonish image, but is does make some sense, at least in a cartoonish environment like Pokemon.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
And it makes no sense that Mud Shot, an attack that involves flinging mud, doesn't work on Flying Pokemon despite not traveling along the ground. Game mechanics trump logic in some places, plain and simple.

It makes even less sense that bone moves don't work. They're throwing bones in the air!

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan

To be honest the only move that it DOES make sense that flying-types are immune to are earthquake, fissure and magnitude. With everything else, it should have effect on flying-type Pokémon.

Venia Silente

[](int x){return x;}
What doesn't make sense is Fire Blast shaped like a 5-star. I mean, why a 5-star? And why pointed the way it is? It can't even be chalked up to Pokémon mouthing the fire out and their dental arrangement shaping the fire attack because if that happened it would also happen to eg.: Water moves. I want my 7-star Fire Blast.

Bananarama

The light is coming
What doesn't make sense is Fire Blast shaped like a 5-star. I mean, why a 5-star? And why pointed the way it is? It can't even be chalked up to Pokémon mouthing the fire out and their dental arrangement shaping the fire attack because if that happened it would also happen to eg.: Water moves. I want my 7-star Fire Blast.

Apparently that's meant to be a kanji for "big". I think that makes some sense, considering its power.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~

Apparently that's meant to be a kanji for "big". I think that makes some sense, considering its power.

To expand on what Flo said, yeah, it's based on this kanji 大 (だい, Dai), meaning big. In fact Fire Blast's Japanese name Daimonji (だいもんじ) is based off bonfires lit off a mountain on Kyoto, which includes one that's in the shape of the 'Dai' kanji on the last day of the Obon Festival.

Last edited:

Venia Silente

[](int x){return x;}
Nice, I never thought it had that kind of explanation.

(...And here I was thinking it was just "make attacks look weird")

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
I've always imagined it as releasing steam through its nostrils. It's a bit of a cartoonish image, but is does make some sense, at least in a cartoonish environment like Pokemon.

I'm sorry I don't see how it being in a cartoonish environment makes it make sense.

I mean a lot of things in the Donald Duck shorts don't make any sense, and I don't think these make any more sense because it's in an cartoonish environment. But I still find the show fun despite it not making much sense.

Your first sentence is a better explanation in my opinion than the fact it's a cartoonish environment.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Garbodor can learn Attract. Volcarona cannot. What is this I don't even.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

I didn't believe you when you said Volcarona couldn't learn Attract and had to look it up for myself. That is very odd as every other gendered Pokemon can learn it with the exception of Nincada, which does so to avoid awkwardness with Shedinja. I'd be willing to bet that just as Cryogonal being able to learn Attract despite being genderless, Volcarona not being able to learn it is an oversight/mistake. Very strange indeed.

As for Garbodor, Pokemon logic dictates that any Pokemon with a gender that can learn TMs can learn Attract (except Volcarona apparently...), so not that odd relatively speaking. I don't necessarily agree with that choice though.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~

Yeah, even Ferroseed/Ferrothorn can't. I don't know exactly why but yeah, I kind of find it odd that Larvesta/Volcarona and Ferroseed/Ferrothorn can't because almost it is said that gendered Pokémon should learn Attract though with Nincada's case it totally makes sense as Bguy7 pointed out.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Yeah, even Ferroseed/Ferrothorn can't. I don't know exactly why but yeah, I kind of find it odd that Larvesta/Volcarona and Ferroseed/Ferrothorn can't because almost it is said that gendered Pokémon should learn Attract though with Nincada's case it totally makes sense as Bguy7 pointed out.

Ferroseed and Ferrothorn too? That's crazy. Now I'm really curious what's going on here.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Getting a whole new pokemon while Zygarde in its new forms not being in a gen 6 game makes no sense. Zygarde in gen 6 should not be left in such an incomplete state.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Getting a whole new pokemon while Zygarde in its new forms not being in a gen 6 game makes no sense. Zygarde in gen 6 should not be left in such an incomplete state.

Calm down. Gen 6 isn't over yet.

Akashin

And it made no more or less sense when it happened in the past. It still doesn't mean anything.

Nor does it have anything to do with the purpose of this thread, really (though that's nothing new, all things considered).

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I never understood why Fairy Wind doesn't have a secondary effect. Every other move like it does. Icy Wind lowers Speed, Ominous Wind and Silver Wind the user's stats, Heat Wave causes a Burn, and Whirlwind either ends wild battles or switches Pokemon. But Fairy Wind? Just damage. It should have either acted like the Fairy type equilvilant of Silver Wind or cause some sort of status effect.